OFFICIAL CLEVELAND CAVALIERS V LA LAKERS 2/8/09 GAME THREAD! Vol: 23 V 24

Originally Posted by squirtle23

Lakers road trip so far road trip
pimp.gif

As you can see, I agree!
smokin.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dyyhard

just dumb. people saying the best team this year in the NBA is the team that won the title last year.

cmon now. who says you can't celebrate regular season wins? to tame it down.

posting on a messageboard is celebrating?

Different year, different circumstances.

Lakers are the best team in the NBA right now overall. The only argument that I can give is that Orlando beat the Laker twice. but now that they lost Jameer for a while, they should be a different team unless someone steps up for him.
i think it's just a response to those (e.g. national media) that are already crowning LA this year's champion already cuz they are 4-0against the best in the east. it;s an easy trap to fall into.....don;t get too ahead..... media needs to place someone on a pedestal to generate interest. theywere doing that to the Cavs about a month ago and the magic about 2 weeks ago and celtics last week...... bottom line is, right now on 2/8, lakers are the bestteam. but one month from now, 3 months, in june....who knows..... but don;t crown anyone champions just cuz they are playing well in february. remember, sanantonio is healthy and getting better too..... and it's not even ASG yet.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

No doubt.
Going 4-0 against the best teams in the East IS something to celebrate over.

but again, the only month that REALLY matters is June.
I agree with you SoHi.

Boston is still the team to beat.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

just dumb. people saying the best team this year in the NBA is the team that won the title last year.

Lakers are the best team in the NBA right now overall. The only argument that I can give is that Orlando beat the Laker twice. but now that they lost Jameer for a while, they should be a different team unless someone steps up for him.
i think it's just a response to those (e.g. national media) that are already crowning LA this year's champion already cuz they are 4-0 against the best in the east. it;s an easy trap to fall into.....don;t get too ahead..... media needs to place someone on a pedestal to generate interest. they were doing that to the Cavs about a month ago and the magic about 2 weeks ago and celtics last week...... bottom line is, right now on 2/8, lakers are the best team. but one month from now, 3 months, in june....who knows..... but don;t crown anyone champions just cuz they are playing well in february. remember, san antonio is healthy and getting better too..... and it's not even ASG yet.
That same national media that wouldn't stop talking about the LJ and the CAVs shut up when the Lakers took the lead for good. Especiallybird-face JVG.

Not to be combative or anything, but I don't remember anyone saying the Spurs were the best team in the league at any point last year, but they weredefending champs, just saying. It's a new year and we are playing the best out of anyone in the Association right now. No need to be bashful about it.I'm not going to crown us champs because we'll have an opportunity to do that, but right now LA is no. 1.

Originally Posted by 8tothe24

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

i think it's just a response to those (e.g. national media) that are already crowning LA this year's champion already cuz they are 4-0 against the best in the east. it;s an easy trap to fall into.....don;t get too ahead..... media needs to place someone on a pedestal to generate interest. they were doing that to the Cavs about a month ago and the magic about 2 weeks ago and celtics last week...... bottom line is, right now on 2/8, lakers are the best team. but one month from now, 3 months, in june....who knows..... but don;t crown anyone champions just cuz they are playing well in february. remember, san antonio is healthy and getting better too..... and it's not even ASG yet.
That same national media that wouldn't stop talking about the LJ and the CAVs shut up when the Lakers took the lead for good. Especially bird-face JVG.
no reasonable Laker fan is going to get ahead, even a bandwagon fan will be brought down and humbled when you lose to teams like to Bobcats or anyother team for that matter. It's just funny more than anything when people try to remind others on a messageboard that it's only one win in the regularseason and that the championship is what really matters after a big win. people are going to say whatever they want to say on a messageboard.
laugh.gif
The onlypeople that really need to be reminded of that are the players, and considering how the Lakers lost last year in the finals, I don't think it'spossible to get ahead of themselves.

Originally Posted by jretro23

19-0 boston winning streak, snapped.
12-0 boston winning streak, snapped.
23-0 cleveland undefeated at home, snapped.

pimp.gif
Honestly, that's an impressive resume. Even I can't front on that.

Cavs are still solid. But if they have one weakness, it's their interior. (Offense AND defense). Cuz Hickson is terrible. And Bent Wallets is a shell ofhis former self.

Until they do something about their post play, C's > Cavs.

As for the Lakers... what more can be said? Best team RIGHT NOW.

Anyway, here are some more pics....

6e8d8832045e69f2678d759454b6e626-getty-83008025_dlk022_cavs_v_lake.jpg

b023da1b16e4150ab52cd614ea0f2482-getty-83008025_dlk023_cavs_v_lake.jpg

c5e741efd7263cca2f1b0f2cbb83b004-getty-83008025_dlk021_cavs_v_lake.jpg

capt.2ab2f901d16644e2a829df8e9a14a0d1.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd106.jpg

capt.83872b7cbdc74f259b026953b376285c.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd108.jpg

r3394287141.jpg

r1431055713.jpg

capt.7ba074ce5110440eb914d9655921d7bd.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd116.jpg

capt.9d654b5e5d9a44a6baf4c9c1b42f15f8.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd114.jpg

capt.e22129f273da4642aa3062c428780963.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd112.jpg

There were two things wrong with the Cavs today: their defense and Lebron's inability to adjust.

Their defense was extremely porous; there's nothing that special about it. People can go to Yahoo and point out their points allowed, but it goes muchdeeper than just statistics - those things could be attributed more to their pace of play than truly good defense, and I think that's the case here.

Gasol and Odom were looking like Hakeem and Ewing on the block. Verejao, Z, and Big Ben were letting them get exactly the shots that they wanted all game. Allthree looked HORRENDOUS defensively - even Ben. At one point, points in the paint was 58-18 Lakers
sick.gif
They were doing a horrendous job cleaning up the boardstoo, which let a streaky player like Lamar Odom get into even more of a groove.

I think it was a mistake to have Z and Ben matchup with Odom and Gasol from the start, since Odom was going to have an offensive mismatch with whichever oneguarded him. But I didn't see any help D, rotation, etc. So all opponents have to do is up the pace and "expose" the Cavs D. Marcus Camby wouldbe perfect for them.

As for Lebron, it was pretty easy to pinpoint the Lakers' strategy from the get-go. Kobe, Luke, Lamar, and Ariza were all several steps away from Lebronwhenever he had the ball, baiting him into his shot. The reason why this worked is because the Lakers did this every trip; they didn't mess up or switchstrategies to let him get to the rim some of the time. It was jumpers all day. It was pretty one-dimensional, and yet Lebron still couldn't adjust.

Forget that he had his triple-doubleish numbers (which is still impressive, mind you); he was completely taken out of the game. He was inefficient, didn'tdo the things that he does to make the Cavs go. He got his numbers, but not in a way that was beneficial to the Cavs.

As good as the Cavs are, I still think their success depends on Lebron. He has to have a good game for them to win. The supporting cast just doesn't stepup consistently enough to allow Lebron to have a bad game. Mike Brown has improved as a coach (I used to think he was awful), but he needs to work on playsthat aren't dominated by Lebron. That way, if he's off, they're actually comfortable running something else. They don't always have to go downwith Lebron.

Thoughts?

ESPN and the rest of the media, Cavs fans , and Lebron lovers seriously need to get off the "Lebron is the MVP this season". It's like thesepeople seriously think it should be handed to him like it's due to him. Same goes whenever debates pop up between who the best player in the league isright now.

Seriously if the Lakers end up with the best record in the NBA this year, Kobe ends up second or 3rd in scoring, makes 1st team all team defense, and does thiswith Bynum out 8 to 12 weeks, and is playing with a dislocated ring finger and a messed up pinkeye on his other hand. How are they going to deny Kobe his 2ndMVP award ? He's also doing this while averaging less minutes and fewer shots this season.

smh.gif
Gotta give props to the Lakers. I really thought they'd lose today butman...i'm now 100% confident and would put big money that Lakers will win it all this year...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Ending Boston's streak TWICE and then ending Cle. long Home win streak. VERY impressive.

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

ESPN and the rest of the media, Cavs fans , and Lebron lovers seriously need to get off the "Lebron is the MVP this season". It's like these people seriously think it should be handed to him like it's due to him. Same goes whenever debates pop up between who the best player in the league is right now.

Seriously if the Lakers end up with the best record in the NBA this year, Kobe ends up second or 3rd in scoring, makes 1st team all team defense, and does this with Bynum out 8 to 12 weeks, and is playing with a dislocated ring finger and a messed up pinkeye on his other hand. How are they going to deny Kobe his 2nd MVP award ? He's also doing this while averaging less minutes and fewer shots this season.
They really wouldn't logically have a reason to, but it is their self-proclaimed "King" so you know how it is. LeBron has betterstats, but as today showed stats don't tell the entire story, LeBron had better overall numbers, but his impact on the game wasn't felt as much.Anyway, I'm thinking that more of the writers have stopped hating on Kobe so much that he will get a fair shake at it, I mean it really could be a CP3/Kobesituation all over again. I think whoever finishes with the better team record should win the MVP since their both playing equally as well indidvidually at theleast.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by jretro23

19-0 boston winning streak, snapped.
12-0 boston winning streak, snapped.
23-0 cleveland undefeated at home, snapped.

pimp.gif
Honestly, that's an impressive resume. Even I can't front on that.

Cavs are still solid. But if they have one weakness, it's their interior. (Offense AND defense). Cuz Hickson is terrible. And Bent Wallets is a shell of his former self.

Until they do something about their post play, C's > Cavs.

As for the Lakers... what more can be said? Best team RIGHT NOW.

Anyway, here are some more pics....

6e8d8832045e69f2678d759454b6e626-getty-83008025_dlk022_cavs_v_lake.jpg

b023da1b16e4150ab52cd614ea0f2482-getty-83008025_dlk023_cavs_v_lake.jpg

c5e741efd7263cca2f1b0f2cbb83b004-getty-83008025_dlk021_cavs_v_lake.jpg

capt.2ab2f901d16644e2a829df8e9a14a0d1.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd106.jpg

capt.83872b7cbdc74f259b026953b376285c.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd108.jpg

r3394287141.jpg

r1431055713.jpg

capt.7ba074ce5110440eb914d9655921d7bd.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd116.jpg

capt.9d654b5e5d9a44a6baf4c9c1b42f15f8.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd114.jpg

capt.e22129f273da4642aa3062c428780963.lakers_cavaliers_basketball_ohmd112.jpg
You bring up a good point about the Cavs front line and interior D. Z is softer than Pau Gasol. Dude shots are mostly 15 and 20 foot flat footedjumpers. His one post up move is a fallway turnaround floater. If the Cavs are serious about getting past the C's in the ECF this season Danny Ferry betterstart working the phones and somehow get a deal done to get Jermaine O'neal or possibly Amarie Stoudamire from the Suns. Problem is I doubt the Cavs haveanything the Suns would want to get a deal done for STAT .

Originally Posted by OneTrust

smh.gif
Gotta give props to the Lakers. I really thought they'd lose today but man...i'm now 100% confident and would put big money that Lakers will win it all this year...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Ending Boston's streak TWICE and then ending Cle. long Home win streak. VERY impressive.
What up my dude?

I am extremely salty right now too.
ohwell.gif

I keep holding on to the hope that they will crash and burn in the playoffs.

But this is shaping up to be a nightmare b-ball season for me....

edit:
Amare would be a bad fit on the Cavs. And J Oneal is washed up.

^It's weird because I'm a Laker fan, and I honestly don't think the Lakers are the bonafide best team right now. Maybe it's just cos I'mmore critical and see all the little mistakes here and there.

To me, Lakers, Cavs and Celts are pretty much equal.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Lebron's "triple-doubles" have been exposed in this game... he will still probably rack up another triple-double this game, but anyone who actually watched the game will see that he basically played like @%+@, and wasn't really a reliable option for his team throughout the game (4-15 from the field, missed a lot of FTs).

but i guess he got a triple-double, right?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

BRON with 16, 12, and 8.

LOL, Kobe wasn't even close to a triple-double like that
roll.gif
roll.gif

Kobe only had 19, 2, and 3.
roll.gif
yes, but Kobe clearly had the better game.

Lebron's "triple-doubles" were exposed today. he dominates the ball every possession, and all he has to do is drive and kick it out to Wally, Z, Mo, or any of the other jump shooters and that's 10 assists a game EASY. and the Cavs play so spread out on offense that its easy for Lebron to track down long rebounds. he basically has a legit shot at a triple-double every game because of the Cavaliers system.

Lebron is a great athlete, but if he played in the triangle, his stats wouldn't be anywhere near what they are. and if the Lakers ran their offense through Kobe and had a few more solid jumpshooters, Kobe would definitely put up similar numbers to Lebron.

numbers aside, you just have to watch them play. Kobe is clearly on another level from Lebron right now. Lebron is only 24. people should stop rushing to call him better than Kobe. this is a guy who is probably the 2nd best at his position of all-time. Lebron is not just going to come in and be better than him within 5-7 years, it's going to take him time.

on point.

Damn was I the only one who noticed today that 3 different colorways of the ZKIV were being rocked today by 3 Laker players:

Kobe: ZKIV Venoms
Odom: ZKIV Del Sols
Ariza: ZKIV Carpe Diems

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 531

^It's weird because I'm a Laker fan, and I honestly don't think the Lakers are the bonafide best team right now. Maybe it's just cos I'm more critical and see all the little mistakes here and there.

To me, Lakers, Cavs and Celts are pretty much equal.

Agree!
but to me it is LA, Spurs and Celts!

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Not to be combative or anything, but I don't remember anyone saying the Spurs were the best team in the league at any point last year, but they were defending champs, just saying. It's a new year and we are playing the best out of anyone in the Association right now. No need to be bashful about it. I'm not going to crown us champs because we'll have an opportunity to do that, but right now LA is no. 1.
True. I think Garnett and Allen heading to Boston was one of the main reasons for this.

It was a big trade, they played great throughout the season and most expected them to run away with the championship because of this.

ESPN and the rest of the media, Cavs fans , and Lebron lovers seriously need to get off the "Lebron is the MVP this season". It's like these people seriously think it should be handed to him like it's due to him. Same goes whenever debates pop up between who the best player in the league is right now.

Seriously if the Lakers end up with the best record in the NBA this year, Kobe ends up second or 3rd in scoring, makes 1st team all team defense, and does this with Bynum out 8 to 12 weeks, and is playing with a dislocated ring finger and a messed up pinkeye on his other hand. How are they going to deny Kobe his 2nd MVP award ? He's also doing this while averaging less minutes and fewer shots this season.
Aren't you a Lakers fan? You should be happy for the win and the best record in the league more than anything.

I'll agree that the coverage can be better. But then again, it is ESPN who's responsible for most of this.

Damn was I the only one who noticed today that 3 different colorways of the ZKIV were being rocked today by 3 Laker players:

Kobe: ZKIV Venoms
Odom: ZKIV Del Sols
Ariza: ZKIV Carpe Diems

pimp.gif

And with the winning streak, you can bet that none of them will change to a different model until they lose.

Speaking of kicks....

CLEVELAND - FEBRUARY 8: LeBron James #23 of the Cleveland Cavaliers wears autographed shoes which will be auctioned off after the game against the Los AngelesLakers
4f18061bd0154a29b803e25447da052b-getty-83008025_dlk028_cavs_v_lake.jpg

Listening to the game on the radio was horrible. Id like to catch the replay if there is one on ESPN.
Very impressive second half.

28 pts and 17 reb > 61
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

They really wouldn't logically have a reason to, but it is their self-proclaimed "King" so you know how it is. LeBron has better stats, but as today showed stats don't tell the entire story, LeBron had better overall numbers, but his impact on the game wasn't felt as much. Anyway, I'm thinking that more of the writers have stopped hating on Kobe so much that he will get a fair shake at it, I mean it really could be a CP3/Kobe situation all over again. I think whoever finishes with the better team record should win the MVP since their both playing equally as well indidvidually at the least.
you see, this is the kind of flaw there exists in the MVP debates...... people talk about how lebron has the better numbers but yet was lesseffective for his team than say kobe (who plays on the better team). thus, lebron doesn;t deserve MVP...... but then, 3 years ago, when the lakers were missingthe playoffs, laker fans were crying that kobe that had the better stats wasn't MVP over someone like steve nash (better for his team than kobe was)....can;'t have it both ways....

then on top of that, if stats is not that important and contribution to the team is, then why worry about MVP anyways??? let espn give it to lebron........last year, kobe won the MVP, celtics won the title....what would you rather have? sometimes i think laker fans get so offended when lebron is perceived to bebetter than kobe....

Back
Top Bottom