OFFICIAL CROSSFIT THREAD

To be honest, the rep plan above seems pretty aggressive to me especially if its your first time.  Personally doing 5-10-25—don't see a reason not to break into small chunks.

You should probably have 30+ strict pullups (which you may well have) if you're going to do sets of 10, or you'll be wiped halfway through.
We had a long discussion about this today at the box and decided that you have to complete one movement before starting the next one. In any other WOD if you had like a 5-10-15 rep scheme you couldn't just do like two reps on one movement and then 4 reps of the next etc. You have to complete all the reps for one then move on.

Last edited:
Where in IN? I am in Indianapolis, we have a Crossfit Box here at the Finish Line corporate HQ - 
I'm in Richmond. About an hour east of Indy on I70. Used to work at FINL and my sister is there now. Have a few friends there, and did a comp last summer with some of your members. Great place to work and was especially sad I left when they added the box.

Anyone doing Murph on Monday? I think we're going to do it Sunday because that's when we have open gym. This will be my first time.
My box is hitting it at 8:30. My third time. Did it the second time in a Kevlar vest (not 20lbs). Hoping for sub 40 mins this time.

I run a gym in which we use both again faster and rogue equipment. I think rogue gear is much better in quality and durability in all aspects rigs, weights, bars etc.
View media item 1544257 Got the foldaway rig so I could still use the whole garage. Works awesome. Wife uses it to so I got a Bella bar to compromise on cost. 260 lbs of bumpers and a 53# kettle bell so far. Ordered it at 3pm on a Tuesday. Delivered on Wednesday. Helps being only 2 hrs away from HQ. But still quick service.

We had a long discussion about this today at the box and decided that you have to complete one movement before starting the next one. In any other WOD if you had like a 5-10-15 rep scheme you couldn't just do like two reps on one movement and then 4 reps of the next etc. You have to complete all the reps for one then move on.
So you're starting with 100 consecutive pull-ups?

That's a whole different animal in that case.

I think that part of the fun of Murph is that it's meant to be broken up, but I guess every box is different.

So you're starting with 100 consecutive pull-ups?

That's a whole different animal in that case.

I think that part of the fun of Murph is that it's meant to be broken up, but I guess every box is different.

Murph is meant to be done with the pull ups, push ups & squats broken up however you want.

From the main site:

"Murph"

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it "Body Armor". From here on it will be referred to as "Murph" in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it

That's what I thought. Word.

Also if you don't break it up you lose the ability to have a competitive time. But it could be a fun challenge.

I'm going to keep it real. It would take me forever to do unbroken.

Murph is meant to be done with the pull ups, push ups & squats broken up however you want.

From the main site:

"Murph"

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it "Body Armor". From here on it will be referred to as "Murph" in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it
Oh cool! We obviously never looked at it on main site but this is really helpful, thanks!

Murph was really tough today but so much fun. I had to duct tape the vest to my chest because the strap broke. Ended up with 45:04 which I felt pretty good about.

I want to get into this but I haven't worked out in 2 years ..is crossfit for beginners ? Can I ease my way into the workouts comfortably ? Or should I only join once I have some experience

I want to get into this but I haven't worked out in 2 years ..is crossfit for beginners ? Can I ease my way into the workouts comfortably ? Or should I only join once I have some experience
Everything can be scaled. You should just join and get started. My wife has almost no athletic experience and she recently started and is doing great. I see people with all experience and fitness levels and the coaches make sure you are safe and learn the proper form.

Absolutely to your first two questions.

$225 is ridiculous to me. Unless you're getting some crazy extras, but I don't know what would justify me paying $225
There's one here in so cal charging $180 (I think) and they have a free chiropractor there on Thursdays

$225 is ridiculous to me. Unless you're getting some crazy extras, but I don't know what would justify me paying $225
There's one here in so cal charging $180 (I think) and they have a free chiropractor there on Thursdays
That is a lot, but I think pretty standard for big cities on the east coast. A friend recently moved to NYC and she said it was about $250 a month.

Prices are higher on this coast, just how it is. I mean I'm in little ol' Charlotte for God's sake and the cheapest within city limits is $160. About $180 avg I'd say.

Last edited:
Those are steep prices you guys have out there. I' pay $240 for both my wife and I. I'm not in a major city though like some of you guys.

I would say price varies dramatically on location, and sadly not so much on what is offered.  Im in California and have paid from 100-295/ month. 

When I was out in Lancaster (desert) prices was 100/ month for unlimited.  I paid 130/ month in Simi Valley, when my wife and I went there, I still drop in often as this is one of my favorite boxes. In Santa Barbara Ive paid 180/ month for 3 days a week, where the same box offered unlimited was 250.  I then switched gyms and went with private programing where I was paying 295 for programing and open gym.  This facility has two sides to the building, one where classes are run out of and one for open gym/ the clients who do the private programing. It was good, but was way expensive, especially because no other amenities were included other than opex programing.  The smaller box I was part of for awhile offered free yoga on tues nights.  This location also did monthly one on one check ins where they would talk about goals, and do body measurements.

Again this is Santa Barbara, even though the fitness industry is saturated here, prices are still extremely high, there are 3 affiliates within city limits, and about another 5 private training studios, along with our regular athletic clubs, YMCA, and your corporate/ franchise gyms. 

But then again I am one of these fools that pay, even though I do have a home set up. 

Why wouldn't somebody open one up there at a reasonable price and clean up for like $150 a month? Is rent that bad up there?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't somebody open one up there at a reasonable price and clean up for like $150 a month? Is rent that bad up there?

There's several reason on to why the cost:

1. They have to pay an annual fee to even use the word, "crossfit" for their gym. I believe $3000 annually for the license to crossfit.inc.

2. The charges are really for the coaches/trainers...like someone said it depends on what is offered.

For instance, my gym is $155 a month for a year. I have a yoga instructor, Olympic instructor, gymnastic instructor, and crossfit instructor. Also, we have a nutritionist on site and massages ever Wedensday. They're all trained and certified.

3. The equipment

There's several reason on to why the cost:

1. They have to pay an annual fee to even use the word, "crossfit" for their gym. I believe $3000 annually for the license to crossfit.inc.

2. The charges are really for the coaches/trainers...like someone said it depends on what is offered.

For instance, my gym is $155 a month for a year. I have a yoga instructor, Olympic instructor, gymnastic instructor, and crossfit instructor. Also, we have a nutritionist on site and massages ever Wedensday. They're all trained and certified.

3. The equipment
I understand results vary as you just stated, but are there additional advantages? For instance is it more like a club or team, or is it a measuring contest in there?

I am a former athlete (collegiate) and would like an atmosphere like that, also are there fine normal women or just buff ones?

Back
Top Bottom