Official E3 2012 Thread - What Do You Want to See?

Madden NFL 13 Preview

bullet.gif
  Submitted on: 06/05/2012 by Steve Noah

So… You've heard about this new Madden NFL 13 physics engine have you?

Well, I'm here to tell you the infinity engine is indeed legit. It's downright unbelievable actually. Call it a "fresh coat of paint on the same old game" if you want to but I love it.

I played a couple of games last night with some various members of the media and came away very impressed. Sure it's not perfect, you will see limbs getting bent in painful directions occasionally, even see a body slide or rotate a little awkwardly, but all in all, the new Infinity Engine the Madden team has implemented is unbelievable.

I must have seen at least 60 different animations in what little time I had to play with Madden last night, but every one of them made me smile. Getting the right touch on passes never felt so good. If there was one thing I could complain about, it's the offensive and defensive lines. They really need to add 400 animations to those guys next year, to go along with the 400 new ones that were added this year for the receivers. While it is a little better this year, the patty cake stuff is really getting old. I will have to analyze it more to see if strength and ratings really matter down there in the trenches.

20112.jpg

Running backs explode through holes and you can actually see them putting their head down to attack a defender on occasion. While watching another gamer playing Madden in the cube next to me, I noticed he was running with Stephen Jackson. As he flipped, while rolling on top of some players on the ground, he stuck his hand down and took off running for some extra yardage. Momentum, for the most part, works as advertised. Bigger players will push smaller players backwards, players will jump and get flipped into awkward positions. When players collide, you will see helmets and necks snap back.

I never played with the Cowboys, but I did roll with the Ravens and ******** (did I just say that?), just to get a feel for the defense of Baltimore and the RG3 effect for the Skins. He's pretty quick and has an accurate arm, which is very dangerous, as many Madden fans know. The Ravens defense seemed to be everywhere and I mean everywhere. Swarming to the ball at all times. The Steelers defense was no slouch either, as I found it difficult to find any open receivers or run against them at all.

Players don't just get wrap tackled, they will trip over other players feet, on occasion as well. This one time, in band camp… Oh wait, this one time, I flattened a corner, but as I ran by him, he shoestring tackled me, by bringing his arm up and tapping my foot, causing me to trip. It was the wildest thing I ever saw. A couple of times I went into replay mode and instant replay wasn't an option. Guessing it was just an odd bug.

20110.jpg

I'm still not seeing many penalties at all and definitely not seeing any pass interference calls. I'm thinking they implement penalties more next year, as they continue to tweak the Infinity Engine. I'm not seeing double teams on pass rushers, but it was only two games and I didn't pay that much attention to it. If you are worried about seeing over the top tackles happen all of the time, I didn't see many of them during the two games I played, but will get plenty of time, over the next three days to find out.

I didn't go into any other modes, just strictly gameplay. I'll be capturing a ton of videos of Madden and other games this week and will post them as I have time.

The wii already has n64 games on the virtual console tho Lol

I know they don't have gamecubes games but still.

I was completely underwhelmed by all the press conferences this weekend.

Microsoft wasn't that great, but at least there were something interesting aspects of Halo 4, and I really liked Splinter Cell: Blacklist, that was probably my favorite footage all weekend.

Sony was nothing special I thought. There was nothing about their presentation that wowed me. God of War, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, everything we've seen before. All-Stars was far too brief with only six characters revealed? Meh. Everyone was blown away by The Last of Us, but that honestly really did nothing for me. Yawned through most of it. That new game from the developers of Heavy Rain looked so goddamn boring to me, and the Harry Potter book thing was ludicrously bad.

Nintendo I thought would really steal the show, but other than a slightly interesting Pikmin 3, they failed too. It was cool to see that they are bringing the third party developers on hard, especially Ubisoft, but other than that, we didn't see anything we wanted. We got three Mario games, which isn't bad I guess, but no Zelda (expected), no Metroid, no Star Fox, no F-Zero, no Donkey Kong, nothing that makes us think of Nintendo. Instead we get silly and stupid family crap that is fun for about 30 seconds before everyone gets bored.

The EA/Ubisoft press conferences were filled with fluff that I really didn't care too much about. Crysis looked pretty damn good, but other than that, I was bored watching most of these press conferences.

I wasn't expecting new consoles, but I was at least expecting...

Games that we haven't heard about that actually sound worth playing.
Spec details on the Wii-U, hopefully with a price and release date.
More emphasis on the handhelds.

Pretty upset that we didn't really get much detail in this years E3. I felt like I heard just as much about Netflix, Hulu, Madden, and social networking than I did about Mario, Master Chief, and Kratos.

What the hell are "Wii U and Wii Optical discs?"

Big fat fail if they aren't using BD's.

1080p output though, that's good. Mario in 1080p?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif

they are "BDs" they just dont call them BDs cause they cant play BD movies

they basically dont want to pay the licensing fee

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif
they are "BDs" they just dont call them BDs cause they cant play BD movies

they basically dont want to pay the licensing fee
Wii U uses the 50 GB discs, but they can't play BD movies?

Seriously?
laugh.gif

ehh 
grin.gif

[h4]Storage[/h4]
Wii U uses an internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

ehh 
grin.gif

[h4]Storage[/h4]
Wii U uses an internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.
If we're able to use external HDs for storing game data then that's fine I think. The internal flash is going to be like 4-8GB max.

where is the pokemon game for the Wii U? why after all these years is pokemon stuck on little handheld devices? 
30t6p3b.gif

I liked seeing the Dead Space 3 gameplay.  Resident Evil 6 looked good also.  Leon's back 
smokin.gif

Not bad today.

Sleeping Dogs is freaking True Crime!!
The Wii U actually isn't bad to play. I had fun playing Luigi's Ghost Mansion.

Why the hell does Snoop Dogg have a stage in Tekken Tag 2!?

Back
Top Bottom