OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

Manimal was great is this tourney and is a great energy guy, but I'm still not convinced he can be a dominant NBA player.

The Kevin Love bashing was strong in 2012 as well. He looked all out of sorts, and couldn't figure out his role. Then, it was like someone flipped a switch, and he became a beast.

Manimal was great is this tourney and is a great energy guy, but I'm still not convinced he can be a dominant NBA player.
Who the hell said he was going to be dominant in the NBA
laugh.gif

I have a feeling Faried might be feeling himself a little too much after this tourney, judging by some of his quotes and a little bit of his play towards the end.

Always a great energy guy, but that's probably his cap. Being surrounded by his USA teammates make him look better than he really is.

I was cringing a bit watching him attempt some shots out of his arsenal towards the end of the tourney. Just stick to putbacks and easy baskets bro :smh:

Hoping this experience propels Boogie into a monster season. And i believe this has also helped his image in the national media 

I have a feeling Faried might be feeling himself a little too much after this tourney, judging by some of his quotes and a little bit of his play towards the end.

Always a great energy guy, but that's probably his cap. Being surrounded by his USA teammates make him look better than he really is.

I was cringing a bit watching him attempt some shots out of his arsenal towards the end of the tourney. Just stick to putbacks and easy baskets bro :smh:

And playing against basically college-level interior players a lot of the time.

Hoping this experience propels Boogie into a monster season. And i believe this has also helped his image in the national media 

Looks like he picked up a thing or two during his stay at Team USA.

At the beginning, during the exhibition rounds, he wasn't really staying on his feet when he should and he was reaching more than necessary.

Against Serbia, I noted a play when someone tried to pump fake him, he stayed on his feet and got the clean block without reaching.

Those kind of improvements alone will go a long way for him in the nba.

And playing against basically college-level interior players a lot of the time.

We talking about the same guy who averaged 21 and 11 per 36 min the second half of this past NBA season :nerd:

Expanding one's games is a bad think now I guess.

Last edited:
We talking about the same guy who averaged 21 and 11 per 36 min the second half of this past NBA season :nerd:

Expanding one's games is a bad think now I guess.

I think this sums it up nicely.

12. Faried has been outstanding, and the great Fran Fraschilla will joke at least once a game that Faried’s agent must be thrilled watching this and calculating his next counteroffer to the Nuggets in Faried’s extension talks.

But I’m not sure how much of Faried’s excellence in this tournament should apply to those talks. He wouldn’t have made the team had the best U.S. guys deigned to play, and the medium-size gap in athleticism between the NBA and teams like Ukraine and New Zealand is a chasm when it comes to Faried’s specific skills.

He’s one of the NBA’s 10 best offensive rebounders, but leaping for boards against sub-NBA athletes (who are still quite good, by the way) makes him look like Moses Malone with hops. He’s snagging putbacks in this tournament that just won’t be there in the NBA. His usual speed edge is magnified in FIBA; no one has been able to keep up with him running the floor. His speed-based post-up game, which blossomed last season, looks unstoppable against defenders who can’t track his spin moves or get off the ground in time to challenge his pogo-stick jump hook.

Faried is a good NBA player who has earned himself a big contract. But the NBA limitations are still there, and his FIBA play shouldn’t impact the talks with Denver — even if Faried’s agents will aggressively introduce it.

Looks like he picked up a thing or two during his stay at Team USA.

At the beginning, during the exhibition rounds, he wasn't really staying on his feet when he should and he was reaching more than necessary.

Against Serbia, I noted a play when someone tried to pump fake him, he stayed on his feet and got the clean block without reaching.

Those kind of improvements alone will go a long way for him in the nba.
Definitely. I know the exact play you're referring to. Serbia Center was backing him down in the paint and pump faked and tried to half hook over him. I've always hated how he swipes down on the ball looking for the strip insead of just holding his arms up in those situations. Even if it ends up a clean strip it usually gets whistled

Also playing with these FIBA refs that call every little bit of contact from the US might help him stay out of foul trouble as well

Last edited:
I'm noticing something amusing from that article and NT. All the talk before and early in the tourney was players having good seasons after 2010 tournament

If Rose had a good tourney...ROSE IS BACK!. And no one would mention the talent or athleticism gap but since he didn't eh no biggie. It's glorified exhibition

Same goes for AD even though he played well it would have been game over if he had a KD type performance. :lol:

All this Kyrie talk....didn't dude average like 10 points this whole tourny before his big game today? I thought he didn't deserve the MVP imo. Seemed like it was given for this game and not the entirety of the tournament.

All this Kyrie talk....didn't dude average like 10 points this whole tourny before his big game today? I thought he didn't deserve the MVP imo. Seemed like it was given for this game and not the entirety of the tournament.

You can't look too much into scoring averages for the USA guys (Harden led the team with only 12.8 ppg). It's a 40-minute game and Coach K uses a 10-man rotation. Scoring 20 in a game for the US is pretty good, and if you're the leading scorer in the final and hit 100% from three, you're probably going to get MVP.

Also, this is FIBA we're talking about. THe entire thing is really janky.

Edit: math was wrong. Thought they played ten games. It was only nine. Harden averaged 14.2.

Last edited:
I thought Faried deserved the MVP. He was easily the most consistent player on the team. If not him, AD.

Back
Top Bottom