Official HBO's The Newsroom Thread Vol: Season 3

She alluded to the reason in that scene.

She wanted to fire Will and co. herself, not accept their resignations over the Genoa mess.

As the scene continued though, it's apparent that the disdain she had for them in season 1 has more or less subsided.

I'd always compare it to the relationship between older and younger siblings. It's okay for you as an older/sister to torment your younger sibling but the moment an outsider attempts to all hell break loose and the older sibling takes it upon themselves to make sure it stops

To me it was her son more than anything trying to get them fired. I can only assume over time she grew to appreciate them more and really she probably liked them despite all the problems they gave her since Will is telling it like it is.

She alluded to the reason in that scene.

She wanted to fire Will and co. herself, not accept their resignations over the Genoa mess.

As the scene continued though, it's apparent that the disdain she had for them in season 1 has more or less subsided.

I'd always compare it to the relationship between older and younger siblings. It's okay for you as an older/sister to torment your younger sibling but the moment an outsider attempts to all hell break loose and the older sibling takes it upon themselves to make sure it stops

I kinda don't accept that. She & her idiot son went so far as to wire tap Will's cell phone to get dirt on him which they then leaked to the tabloid press in an effort to get him fired.

That's not only evil, it's insidious in it's pure definition. I mean it's one thing to wanna fire someone but to go that great lengths to entrap someone & then leak info? C'mom man.

Don't get me wrong, it was a powerful scene & well acted but now she's championing the 2 people she wanted to fire for almost a year who don't make her a nickel. Nuff said on my part about it...

I did love the scene from this season when Charlie & Will tried to play the tape they had in Reese Lansing's office.

I wonder what insight Jane Fonda brings to this show as Ted Turners ex-wife of 10 years.

I really wanted to reach through the tv screen & ring Dantana's neck when he was going off on his self righteous rant especially since he knew he doctored the interview footage. That dude played that role to the hilt.

It was the son who was behind the wire tap. We still don't know his true feelings on te situation/resignation attempts.

Add in the fact there is money on the line

Last edited:
I loved the final scene of the last episode, but I don't understand how Jane Fonda's character is now championing Charlie & Will when she was trying to fire them the previous year. Doesn't make sense to me but got damn that was a powerful season. Made the whole season for me so far...
I see what you're saying, but it has all to do with PRIDE.  She's not going to let somebody come in to her "House", as she referenced it,  and try to detroy it.  Without Will, Charlie & Mac, her house isn't nearly as strong and viable.

Last edited:
I loved the final scene of the last episode, but I don't understand how Jane Fonda's character is now championing Charlie

I see what you're saying, but it has all to do with PRIDE.  She's not going to let somebody come in to her "House", as she referenced it,  and try to detroy it.  Without Will, Charlie & Mac, her house isn't nearly as strong and viable.

You mean her "hizzy"? :lol:

Excited to see how the last 2 episodes play out. Damn, this season has went fast.

^haha yes, her "hizzy"
laugh.gif

This deserved to be posted in here... This is a spoiler for those that haven't seen episode 8 yet... If the episode ended like that, I can't imagine how the season finale will be. Hope it's as dramatic.

i just realized how many characters in this show have the same names as characters on Always Sunny in Philidelphia.

I expect some sort of youtube mashup soon a la Homeland.

Very powerful episode. Charlie's source. Damn. Talk about a vindictive SOB. Going to be a great last couple episodes.

Here I am not feeling the last episode....

Felt to forced....

Dantana sue'in is crazy....
laugh.gif

I mean, I could see why he would. Being "unemployable" and all. Will, Charlie and Mac all feel that it was an institutional failure. Him winning the case or even getting a settlement certainly wouldn't be impossible( aside from how the story line plays out and even in real life).

It should also be stressed Leona was a bit drunk.

To be clear her son wire tapped them to keep tabs on their future stories not just to fire them. Plus he leaked all stories to the tabloid that they owned.

That last scene was very powerful. Best part was Leona professing her love for ACN even though they don't make her any money.

Last edited:
The Genoa storyline kind of plodded along & then bam, it had this dramatic ending which isn't even the season finale. For me, Sorkin carried on this storyline too long however given he writes terrific dialog, there were moments to enjoy for me. I'm surprised he rewrote the first 3 episodes & reshot the 1st one because the end result was just ok. Hope the last 2 episodes finish up strong. I'm moderately satisfied but felt like this season should've been a lot better especially since West Wing got stronger as the seasons went on. Maybe it had to do with starting over after firing all the writers except his girlfriend... That would be a lot to overcome.

Back
Top Bottom