Official Jazz thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by omgitswes, Oct 19, 2011.

1. omgitswes

omgitswes

I'm looking for some modern saxophonist and trumpet players.
    Any recommendations on who I should check out?

2. psk2310

psk2310

Why are you limiting yourself to just saxophonist and trumpet players? Off the top of the dome if you wanted somone young, check out Joshua Redman on sax. Roy Hargrove on trumpet is pretty popular. But you've got guys like Christian McBride on bass, Robert Glasper on piano. There just a ton. 

Don't forget to listen to the classic artists too like John Coltrane & Miles. If you buy any Coltrane, concentrate on the stuff he did on the Impulse label. For Miles, his best years was with Columbia records.

Post back & let me know if you wanted younger guys that are out there today or if you meant classic artists from back in the day. I'll give reply back with some recommendations based on that. My advice is you start with the guys from back in the day.

djexpanium likes this.
  3. psk2310

psk2310

4. psk2310

psk2310

5. omgitswes

omgitswes

I already have a ton of jazz but they're mostly older cats.
    I woke up in a mood wanting some new sax and trumpet players. I'm open to anyone new really though.

I have a few Robert Glasper albums already, dude is talented. Haven't checked out some of the other people you've mentioned though. I'll be back to check when I get out of class tonight
    Thanks

oh and some more piano would be nice, I don't know of too many jazz pianist besides Bill Evans and Monk

6. psk2310

psk2310

I'm at work right now. Let me look over the stuff i have at home & I'll post back. I have just under 1,400 cds at home...

7. thegoat121886

thegoat121886

Young Jazz Rebels- Slave Riot
    Hypnotic Brass Ensemble- Heritage

Herbie Hancock- The Imagine Project

Miguel Atwood Feguson- anything he does

Jackson Conti- Sunjiho

The Harlem Experiment- self titled

8. psk2310

psk2310

Looked over some stuff I had & here's what I can suggest that are younger guys-
    • Christian McBride, Parker's Mood (with Roy Hargrove).
    • Christian McBride, New York Time
    • Roy Hargrove, Approaching Standards
    • Roy Hargrove, Earfood. BTW, Hargrove played on D'Angelo's Voodoo, may have played on John Mayer's Continum, & maybe with Erykah Badu too.
    • Joshua Redman, Moodswing
    • Joshua Redman, Self titled release
    • Terance Blanchard, Wandering Moon
    • Terance Blanchard, Let's Get Lost
    • Terance Blanchard, Simply Stated. Blanchard did a ton of film score work too.
    As far as old school piano players, there's Red Garland, Herbie Hancock, Sonny Clark, Horace Silver, & Mcoy Tyner. Here are some older classsics I highly recommend if you don't have already.
    • Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage
    • Herbie Hancock, My Point of View
    • Sonny Clark, Cool Struttin'
    • Lee Morgan, The Sidewinder
    • The Red Garland Quintet, Soul Junction (with John Coltrane & Donald Byrd)
    • The Red Garland Trio, Moodsville
    • Kenny Dorham, Una Mas (with Herbie Hancock)
    • Dexter Gordon, A Swingin' Affair
    • Dexter Gordon, Go
    • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messangers, Self Titled
    • Horace Silver, Blowin' The Blues Away
    • Horace Silver, Song for My Father
    • Horace Silver, Cape Verdean Blues
    • Grant Green, Idle Moments
    • Kenny Burrell, Midnight Blue
    • Cannonball Adderley, Somethin' Else
    • Hank Mobley, The Turnaround
    • Hank Mobley, Soul Station
    • McCoy Tyner, The Real McCoy
    • John Coltrane & Duke Ellington, Self titled
    • John Coltrane, Blue Train
    • John Coltrane, A Love Supreme (this is the definition of Master Piece)
    • John Coltrane, Ballads.
    • Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. This along with A Love Supreme should be the staple of any jazz collection.
    • Miles Davis, 'Round About Midnight
    Let me know if you check any of these out & how you like them or not. All of these should be available on iTunes for you to at least preview. I would suggest on not buying these as mp3s. You really need to hear these at least on CDs & from a good pair of speakers. Let me know what you think...

9. psk2310

psk2310

I forgot about a new dude, Fabian Almazan. He played with Christian McBride some time ago & I think his major label debut might've just released. Check iTunes to see if they have it. He's a young Cuban dude...

10. omgitswes

omgitswes

Wow thanks man.
    So yeah Roy Hargrove is amazing. Do you have any idea if he still tours? I would really want to see him preform.
    I think him and Terance Blanchard are my favorites out of the younger guys you mentioned.

I forgot about Herbie Hancock, we have a couple of his albums too. I was going through my dads CD collection after we moved because we didn't have cable or internet all we could do was watch movies and listen to music. and he had River. That's the first Hancock album I've heard and at the time I was already a big Corinne Bailey Rae fan and having her on that album made me really love it. Been looking through his work ever since then

Cannoball Adderley is a legend, him Coltrane and Miles. I have a lot of their stuff.
    Don't recognize the others though, so I will be going through that tonight.

Thanks again

11. psk2310

psk2310

Roy's still around but I think I read somewhere that he's on hiatus. Terance Blanchard got his start playing with Branford Marsalis back in the late 80's-early 90's along with Jeff "Tain" Watts. I was lucky enough to see them live back then & it was crazy.

Herbie Hancock's The River is cool, but you gotta check out his stuff that I mentioned. Horace Silver is a great paino player too. If you look through the Blue Note stuff, stick to the Rudy Van Gelder Remastered stuff. They're all classics. They also have some of the best cover art you'll ever see.

Lastly, don't sleep on jazz guitarists. I mentioned a Kenny Burrell & Grant Green release in my earlier post. Those are two very classic albums (with awesome cover art). Let me know what you like & don't like.

12. omgitswes

omgitswes

Wes Montgomery is one of my favorite guitarists of any genre.

You into Dave Brubeck? Does he have anything other than Time Out that I should listen too?

13. psk2310

psk2310

Oddly enough, I never really got into Brubeck. I have an one of those Essential Collections with his stuff & that's it. Here's my favorite Kenny Burrell song Midnight Blue.

14. bhzmafia14

bhzmafia14

Check out Kenneth Whalum III.

15. omgitswes

omgitswes

I think my dad actually has that album, because I remember the art.

This is nice. Real soothing sound

16. thejrob

thejrob

Coltrane and any project he's involved with.

His work with Ellington and Monk especially, although his solo stuff is probably the best [​IMG]

17. psk2310

psk2310

I forgot about another group that I haven't listened to in a minute, the Bad Plus. They got notoriety for doing a cover of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit in the early 00's. They should have stuff on iTunes to preview to see if you like it or not.

I think they've done other covers too. Also, iTunes did have the Fabian Almazan debut. I think it was called Personalities. He's an amazing piano player & his release is a rock solid debut...Check it out..

18. hankmoody

hankmoody

Modern sax?

Boney James!

Old school?

Wayne Shorter!

Piano?

Brian Culbertson and Diana Krall!

!!!!

19. psk2310

psk2310

20. omgitswes

omgitswes

I have 10 of her albums lol. Her and Melody Gardot and two of my favorite females
    I think we should just turn this into an official Jazz thread.

Anymore vocal jazz? Old school or modern, doesn't matter.
    I have a lot already, gonna list the ones I have in my library. I mainly have female vocalists, that's just the people I have on my computer a ton more that are physical albums

Anita O'Day
    Diana Krall
    Eliane Elias
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Frank Sinatra
    Fredrika Stahl
    Jane Monheit
    Julie London
    Madeleine Peyroux
    Me Torme
    Melody Gardot
    Nancy Wilson