Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

laugh.gif
roll.gif

[h1]Life in the Fast Lane[/h1]
[h2][/h2]
Is Jeremy Lin the new talent code for the NBA?

by Kurt Brungardt

The basketball world is wondering… Is Jeremy Lin for real? Now, another piece of the Lin puzzle has emerged.

Lin’s pre-Draft speed numbers have surfaced, giving fans new information and suggesting a new talent code for NBA success. The equation goes like this: Four years of college + a high BAM score for speed = JEREMY LIN.

Basic Athletic Measurement (BAM) is the company that administers athletic tests for the NBA Draft Combine. The Combine is an annual event where the top NBA Draft prospects (only an elite group of about 60 get invited every year) are tested for speed, strength, agility and jumping ability. BAM prides itself on being the gold standard for athletic testing, using the latest computer technology and electronic timing equipment to achieve consistent results.

Pro teams analyze these test numbers in every conceivable way to increase their odds of drafting an impact player. Lin did not get an NBA Draft Combine invite, but he did have a BAM score. Lin’s numbers for speed were released on the BAM blog today.

Lin was tested in another, less known combine—the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (PIT). Although it’s under the radar, the Portsmouth Invitational, now in its 60th year, is actually the original Combine. Eligibility is simple: You have to be a college senior and have played college ball for four years. This automatically rules out many blue-chip recruits who leave after a year in college or go pro right out of high school.

But the basketball players at Portsmouth, with four years of college under their belt, have developed a more complete skill set (passing, shooting, handling the ball, seeing the court, finishing with both hands, playing team defense, etc.) that many former McDonald’s All Americans and 18-year-old European phenoms don’t have going into the pros. It’s hard to develop these basics in the heat of NBA competition, and it’s hard to master them in high school.

Jeremy Lin already has a Tony Parker teardrop. Parker didn’t come into the League with his trademark move. It took him several seasons to develop it. Lin developed his at Harvard. That’s one key factor in the Lin equation—four years of college ball. This is the known quantity in the equation.

But how about speed—the pure athleticism that blue chip recruits possess? Speed is a key attribute for a point guard. He has to be able to penetrate and break down the defense. So, how do Lin’s speed numbers compare with the top NBA point guards? The good news is we can compare apples to apples. Portsmouth does the same tests as the NBA Combine, and BAM administers the tests.

Brett Brungardt, BAM’s founder and former NBA strength and conditioning coach (Dallas Mavericks, 2000-2002), breaks down Lin’s speed numbers.

“Lin’s numbers are very impressive,

[h1]Life in the Fast Lane[/h1]
[h2][/h2]
Is Jeremy Lin the new talent code for the NBA?

by Kurt Brungardt

The basketball world is wondering… Is Jeremy Lin for real? Now, another piece of the Lin puzzle has emerged.

Lin’s pre-Draft speed numbers have surfaced, giving fans new information and suggesting a new talent code for NBA success. The equation goes like this: Four years of college + a high BAM score for speed = JEREMY LIN.

Basic Athletic Measurement (BAM) is the company that administers athletic tests for the NBA Draft Combine. The Combine is an annual event where the top NBA Draft prospects (only an elite group of about 60 get invited every year) are tested for speed, strength, agility and jumping ability. BAM prides itself on being the gold standard for athletic testing, using the latest computer technology and electronic timing equipment to achieve consistent results.

Pro teams analyze these test numbers in every conceivable way to increase their odds of drafting an impact player. Lin did not get an NBA Draft Combine invite, but he did have a BAM score. Lin’s numbers for speed were released on the BAM blog today.

Lin was tested in another, less known combine—the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (PIT). Although it’s under the radar, the Portsmouth Invitational, now in its 60th year, is actually the original Combine. Eligibility is simple: You have to be a college senior and have played college ball for four years. This automatically rules out many blue-chip recruits who leave after a year in college or go pro right out of high school.

But the basketball players at Portsmouth, with four years of college under their belt, have developed a more complete skill set (passing, shooting, handling the ball, seeing the court, finishing with both hands, playing team defense, etc.) that many former McDonald’s All Americans and 18-year-old European phenoms don’t have going into the pros. It’s hard to develop these basics in the heat of NBA competition, and it’s hard to master them in high school.

Jeremy Lin already has a Tony Parker teardrop. Parker didn’t come into the League with his trademark move. It took him several seasons to develop it. Lin developed his at Harvard. That’s one key factor in the Lin equation—four years of college ball. This is the known quantity in the equation.

But how about speed—the pure athleticism that blue chip recruits possess? Speed is a key attribute for a point guard. He has to be able to penetrate and break down the defense. So, how do Lin’s speed numbers compare with the top NBA point guards? The good news is we can compare apples to apples. Portsmouth does the same tests as the NBA Combine, and BAM administers the tests.

Brett Brungardt, BAM’s founder and former NBA strength and conditioning coach (Dallas Mavericks, 2000-2002), breaks down Lin’s speed numbers.

“Lin’s numbers are very impressive,

I still don't think he was overlooked because of his race AFTER high school and college. Before that is a different story, but I'm talking about now in the NBA. It's a matter of him performing well in the perfect system fit for him. No one saw that coming, even you NT basketball geniuses. Call me ignorant if you'd like, but I'm sticking with my statement that I would pick any starting PG in the league over him for my squad besides D-Fish, J-Kidd, and Jameer Nelson. Throw Ridnour in there too. I would even choose a handful of backups before him.

For the Knicks he is a great fit. But look who the coach is. Even with Woodson the Knicks are not a good defensive team and Lin doesn't exactly help them on the defensive end (but neither does Douglas, Bibby) Jeremy Lin has great offensive talent but the I'm sure defensive minded teams are licking their lips, hoping to face them in the playoffs. He looked like a middleschooler playing against a high school varsity team when he played the Heat.

We'll see how he matches up against Rondo next, even though Rondo doesn't have great help defenders. Also the Philadelphia matchup will be interesting to see.

I still don't think he was overlooked because of his race AFTER high school and college. Before that is a different story, but I'm talking about now in the NBA. It's a matter of him performing well in the perfect system fit for him. No one saw that coming, even you NT basketball geniuses. Call me ignorant if you'd like, but I'm sticking with my statement that I would pick any starting PG in the league over him for my squad besides D-Fish, J-Kidd, and Jameer Nelson. Throw Ridnour in there too. I would even choose a handful of backups before him.

For the Knicks he is a great fit. But look who the coach is. Even with Woodson the Knicks are not a good defensive team and Lin doesn't exactly help them on the defensive end (but neither does Douglas, Bibby) Jeremy Lin has great offensive talent but the I'm sure defensive minded teams are licking their lips, hoping to face them in the playoffs. He looked like a middleschooler playing against a high school varsity team when he played the Heat.

We'll see how he matches up against Rondo next, even though Rondo doesn't have great help defenders. Also the Philadelphia matchup will be interesting to see.

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

charliemurphywrongwrong-o.gif

Last season:

[table][tr][th=""]
G
[/th][th=""]MP[/th][th=""]FG[/th][th=""]FGA[/th][th=""]FG%[/th][th=""]3P[/th][th=""]3PA[/th][th=""]3P%[/th][th=""]FT[/th][th=""]FTA[/th][th=""]FT%[/th][th=""]ORB[/th][th=""]DRB[/th][th=""]TRB[/th][th=""]AST[/th][th=""]STL[/th][th=""]BLK[/th][th=""]TOV[/th][th=""]PF[/th][th=""]PTS[/th][th=""]PTS/G[/th][/tr][tr][td]Team[/td][td]82[/td][td]19780[/td][td]3140[/td][td]6867[/td][td].457[/td][td]765[/td][td]2081[/td][td].368[/td][td]1689[/td][td]2087[/td][td].809[/td][td]847[/td][td]2470[/td][td]3317[/td][td]1757[/td][td]625[/td][td]475[/td][td]1123[/td][td]1743[/td][td]8734[/td][td]106.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]20[/td][td]8[/td][td]6[/td][td]19[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][td]8[/td][td]4[/td][td]6[/td][td]2[/td][td]22[/td][td]18[/td][td]20[/td][td]15[/td][td]8[/td][td]4[/td][td]10[/td][td]10[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Opponent[/td][td]82[/td][td]19780[/td][td]3242[/td][td]6870[/td][td].472[/td][td]536[/td][td]1442[/td][td].372[/td][td]1650[/td][td]2165[/td][td].762[/td][td]964[/td][td]2646[/td][td]3610[/td][td]1682[/td][td]586[/td][td]360[/td][td]1250[/td][td]1703[/td][td]8670[/td][td]105.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]20[/td][td]27[/td][td]25[/td][td]26[/td][td]16[/td][td]14[/td][td]25[/td][td]24[/td][td]24[/td][td]13[/td][td]26[/td][td]28[/td][td]28[/td][td]8[/td][td]13[/td][td]9[/td][td]6[/td][td]15[/td][td]28[/td][td]28[/td][/tr][/table]

This NBA season:

[table][tr][th=""]
G[/th][th=""]MP[/th][th=""]FG[/th][th=""]FGA[/th][th=""]FG%[/th][th=""]3P[/th][th=""]3PA[/th][th=""]3P%[/th][th=""]FT[/th][th=""]FTA[/th][th=""]FT%[/th][th=""]ORB[/th][th=""]DRB[/th][th=""]TRB[/th][th=""]AST[/th][th=""]STL[/th][th=""]BLK[/th][th=""]TOV[/th][th=""]PF[/th][th=""]PTS[/th][th=""]PTS/G[/th][/tr][tr][td]Team[/td][td]36[/td][td]8690[/td][td]1258[/td][td]2898[/td][td].434[/td][td]247[/td][td]809[/td][td].305[/td][td]690[/td][td]916[/td][td].753[/td][td]400[/td][td]1102[/td][td]1502[/td][td]700[/td][td]345[/td][td]150[/td][td]601[/td][td]763[/td][td]3453[/td][td]95.9[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]7[/td][td]14[/td][td]11[/td][td]20[/td][td]8[/td][td]3[/td][td]28[/td][td]5[/td][td]4[/td][td]14[/td][td]15[/td][td]10[/td][td]11[/td][td]19[/td][td]2[/td][td]28[/td][td]30[/td][td]3[/td][td]8[/td][td]12[/td][/tr][tr][td]Opponent[/td][td]36[/td][td]8690[/td][td]1263[/td][td]2846[/td][td].444[/td][td]239[/td][td]647[/td][td].369[/td][td]630[/td][td]857[/td][td].735[/td][td]376[/td][td]1140[/td][td]1516[/td][td]695[/td][td]308[/td][td]182[/td][td]635[/td][td]829[/td][td]3395[/td][td]94.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]7[/td][td]18[/td][td]17[/td][td]16[/td][td]26[/td][td]20[/td][td]28[/td][td]21[/td][td]25[/td][td]8[/td][td]6[/td][td]26[/td][td]22[/td][td]12[/td][td]27[/td][td]17[/td][td]1[/td][td]29[/td][td]22[/td][td]13[/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

charliemurphywrongwrong-o.gif

Last season:

[table][tr][th=""]
G
[/th][th=""]MP[/th][th=""]FG[/th][th=""]FGA[/th][th=""]FG%[/th][th=""]3P[/th][th=""]3PA[/th][th=""]3P%[/th][th=""]FT[/th][th=""]FTA[/th][th=""]FT%[/th][th=""]ORB[/th][th=""]DRB[/th][th=""]TRB[/th][th=""]AST[/th][th=""]STL[/th][th=""]BLK[/th][th=""]TOV[/th][th=""]PF[/th][th=""]PTS[/th][th=""]PTS/G[/th][/tr][tr][td]Team[/td][td]82[/td][td]19780[/td][td]3140[/td][td]6867[/td][td].457[/td][td]765[/td][td]2081[/td][td].368[/td][td]1689[/td][td]2087[/td][td].809[/td][td]847[/td][td]2470[/td][td]3317[/td][td]1757[/td][td]625[/td][td]475[/td][td]1123[/td][td]1743[/td][td]8734[/td][td]106.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]20[/td][td]8[/td][td]6[/td][td]19[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][td]8[/td][td]4[/td][td]6[/td][td]2[/td][td]22[/td][td]18[/td][td]20[/td][td]15[/td][td]8[/td][td]4[/td][td]10[/td][td]10[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Opponent[/td][td]82[/td][td]19780[/td][td]3242[/td][td]6870[/td][td].472[/td][td]536[/td][td]1442[/td][td].372[/td][td]1650[/td][td]2165[/td][td].762[/td][td]964[/td][td]2646[/td][td]3610[/td][td]1682[/td][td]586[/td][td]360[/td][td]1250[/td][td]1703[/td][td]8670[/td][td]105.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]20[/td][td]27[/td][td]25[/td][td]26[/td][td]16[/td][td]14[/td][td]25[/td][td]24[/td][td]24[/td][td]13[/td][td]26[/td][td]28[/td][td]28[/td][td]8[/td][td]13[/td][td]9[/td][td]6[/td][td]15[/td][td]28[/td][td]28[/td][/tr][/table]

This NBA season:

[table][tr][th=""]
G[/th][th=""]MP[/th][th=""]FG[/th][th=""]FGA[/th][th=""]FG%[/th][th=""]3P[/th][th=""]3PA[/th][th=""]3P%[/th][th=""]FT[/th][th=""]FTA[/th][th=""]FT%[/th][th=""]ORB[/th][th=""]DRB[/th][th=""]TRB[/th][th=""]AST[/th][th=""]STL[/th][th=""]BLK[/th][th=""]TOV[/th][th=""]PF[/th][th=""]PTS[/th][th=""]PTS/G[/th][/tr][tr][td]Team[/td][td]36[/td][td]8690[/td][td]1258[/td][td]2898[/td][td].434[/td][td]247[/td][td]809[/td][td].305[/td][td]690[/td][td]916[/td][td].753[/td][td]400[/td][td]1102[/td][td]1502[/td][td]700[/td][td]345[/td][td]150[/td][td]601[/td][td]763[/td][td]3453[/td][td]95.9[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]7[/td][td]14[/td][td]11[/td][td]20[/td][td]8[/td][td]3[/td][td]28[/td][td]5[/td][td]4[/td][td]14[/td][td]15[/td][td]10[/td][td]11[/td][td]19[/td][td]2[/td][td]28[/td][td]30[/td][td]3[/td][td]8[/td][td]12[/td][/tr][tr][td]Opponent[/td][td]36[/td][td]8690[/td][td]1263[/td][td]2846[/td][td].444[/td][td]239[/td][td]647[/td][td].369[/td][td]630[/td][td]857[/td][td].735[/td][td]376[/td][td]1140[/td][td]1516[/td][td]695[/td][td]308[/td][td]182[/td][td]635[/td][td]829[/td][td]3395[/td][td]94.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lg Rank[/td][td][/td][td]7[/td][td]18[/td][td]17[/td][td]16[/td][td]26[/td][td]20[/td][td]28[/td][td]21[/td][td]25[/td][td]8[/td][td]6[/td][td]26[/td][td]22[/td][td]12[/td][td]27[/td][td]17[/td][td]1[/td][td]29[/td][td]22[/td][td]13[/td][/tr][/table]

Knicks are 5th in the league in defensive efficiency , Tyson, Shump, Jeffries, JR, and Melo (yes Melo) have played very good defense this year and it shows statistically compared to last season. If Lin develops his ball handling this off-season and develops and goto crossover move alah Deron , CP3, Wall, Rose, etc. he will become an elite PG. Obviously that will help him get to the basket even more with breaking down the defense but also it will eliminate his turnover problem .

Knicks are 5th in the league in defensive efficiency , Tyson, Shump, Jeffries, JR, and Melo (yes Melo) have played very good defense this year and it shows statistically compared to last season. If Lin develops his ball handling this off-season and develops and goto crossover move alah Deron , CP3, Wall, Rose, etc. he will become an elite PG. Obviously that will help him get to the basket even more with breaking down the defense but also it will eliminate his turnover problem .

Back
Top Bottom