• Weatherman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electric Eel/Easter/Flight

• What The KD7

• Total voters
sick.gif

from reading Matt Palco twitter, a sneaker analyst (lol).  he says KD is all but gone at this point, because if KD got that raise, the margins on his sneakers would be that of any other sneakers nike makes... making it a bad business move to keep him.. unless he leeps over Lebron in the next couple years. 

intresting enough 55-60 percent of all nike basketball sales are from JB.. i was kind of shocked by that.. i am assuming they are including retros in that.

from reading Matt Palco twitter, a sneaker analyst (lol).  he says KD is all but gone at this point, because if KD got that raise, the margins on his sneakers would be that of any other sneakers nike makes... making it a bad business move to keep him.. unless he leeps over Lebron in the next couple years. 

intresting enough 55-60 percent of all nike basketball sales are from JB.. i was kind of shocked by that.. i am assuming they are including retros in that.
Well of course, it always felt to me that Nike purposely cost cut the kd.

Just joined the forum, got the CBTS in the other day, really loving them so far, especially how the colors can go from hot pink to light pink depending on the lighting. Thinking about getting the 35K ones soon.

has there ever been a kd, lebron, kobe lifestyle shoe that hasnt been ugly?  i dont know what nike is thinking making those...
they're thinking, even if we only sell 100 of these, we make a profit.

just like under armour is thinking, even if we only sell a fraction of KD kicks, we 1. make money and 2. have instant basketball cred, which we can grow off of

@iks mod  have you balled outdoor much in your 7's, if so how are they holding up?  Just waiting to see if any good deals pop up so i can get a pair on discount. 
I've played in them outdoors twice.  Tread is holding up phenomenally.  Again, this is just two sessions but still, there seems to be virtually no wear.

Not eem gon lie...the more I look at those joints, the more I realize how much that Gladiator shoe comment is pretty spot on :lol: :lol: :smh:

they're thinking, even if we only sell 100 of these, we make a profit.

just like under armour is thinking, even if we only sell a fraction of KD kicks, we 1. make money and 2. have instant basketball cred, which we can grow off of
according to matt palco, they would need to sell 245 million dollars with of product to break even,  when you include, marketing, production, and other costs ..

the article below from Forbes lays it out

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...ould-let-kevin-durant-leave-for-under-armour/

unless Nike thinks Durant is the next MJ they need to let him walk. Not so much that they can't afford him, but think what Lebron would ask for if they gave KD that kind of money. I love KD, but Lebron and MJ are what butters Nike's bread. Keep those two happy and try to get the next big star coming up.

Problem is, who is the next big star? Nike has something solid with Durant and he still technically hasn't reached his ceiling yet. Imagine they let him go to UA, then the Thunder win the title next season.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, Lebron gonna command more than KD next pay day if Nike matched.

Last edited:

the article below from Forbes lays it out

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...ould-let-kevin-durant-leave-for-under-armour/

unless Nike thinks Durant is the next MJ they need to let him walk. Not so much that they can't afford him, but think what Lebron would ask for if they gave KD that kind of money. I love KD, but Lebron and MJ are what butters Nike's bread. Keep those two happy and try to get the next big star coming up.
Except Kevin Durant isn't the next MJ

lotta people disappointed by the tech inside the kd 6 and the price point

the kd 7 does improve that, but for more so

according to matt palco, they would need to sell 245 million dollars with of product to break even,  when you include, marketing, production, and other costs ..
I mean I'm no economist. I slept through most of my micro and macro economics courses, but they're making money they normally wouldn't have. I doubt they'll ever do $245 in straight sneaker sales, but they are cutting into Nike and Adidas market share.

For example, just in this thread, if 1/5  NTers are diehard KD fans and buy the UA sneaker, that is 1 out of every 5 people who's money would normally go to Nike that's going to UA. Plus you add in apparel and accessories it adds up. Then you add in fans of UA or casual fans of KD that like the sneaker design, additional revenue. 

Except Kevin Durant isn't the next MJ

lotta people disappointed by the tech inside the kd 6 and the price point

the kd 7 does improve that, but for more so
No one is the next MJ, player wise. Those kinds of comparisons are to get viewer ratings and clicks on articles, they aren't based in reality. 

But KD could be to UA what MJ was to Nike. KD is extremely marketable, known globally, works hard, can ball, and is likeable. All of the same traits MJ had. The missing element is design. Can UA design a shoe that performs and can be rocked casually?? That's the $285 million dollar question.

No one is the next MJ, player wise. Those kinds of comparisons are to get viewer ratings and clicks on articles, they aren't based in reality. 

But KD could be to UA what MJ was to Nike. KD is extremely marketable, known globally, works hard, can ball, and is likeable. All of the same traits MJ had. The missing element is design. Can UA design a shoe that performs and can be rocked casually?? That's the $285 million dollar question.
If they ever get KD to jump ship, I can't imagine it being more difficult to pirate the KD line designer as well?

Back
Top Bottom