Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weatherman

• Electric Eel/Easter/Flight

• What The KD7

• Total voters

I believe Nike has the right to liquidate any KD products if he switches. Meaning even shoes we may not have seen yet could still release if he switches (because they are made in advance and made prior to him switching).
That's what the dude at Niketown who sold me my 35Ks said, for whatever that's worth
laugh.gif

Most interesting thing though was how mad, personally, he seemed about KD potentially switching.
i'd be excited for when that happens if it does

UA is not going bankrupt over this. I'm sure they have forecasts for this kind of thing.

Plus if you want to compare, Nike signed Jordan when they were only making 1 billion in revenue. They put a lot of stake in MJ. UA is putting a lot of stake in KD.

Knight had boldly proclaimed at a shoe industry conference in Chicago in the mid-'70s that he wasn’t in the shoe business. He was in the entertainment business.

Nike did not put take that big of a chance on MJ initially.

They made the exact same offer adidas (who was king at the time) did.

The reason MJ signed with Nike is because they offered him a signature shoe and Adidas refused.

The UA deal is interesting and I hope it happens just to break up the monotony of the sneaker game, but there's no way they'll turn a profit on that deal.

I'm sure they're viewing it as an investment for the future.

Been almost 2 years since last post, was able to grab GG for retail yesterday ! Happy since I missed out on the cause I was on vacation, bring on the easy money!

Also if kd signs with ua his sig shoe gonna have to be high priced. Whats ua highest priced basketball shoe? His will probably cost more

I won't deny it's a gamble, but I think it's foolish to think UA will go out of business. Their bread and butter is still football. They just signed a $90 million dollar contract to outfit Notre Dame and I expect them to scoop up even more high profile teams in the future.
but football does about  5% percent of the sales that basketball does.. so they basically have a strangle hold over a small sector of the market.. 

i cant see myself buying a pair of UA basketball shoes, i dont care if its lebron or kd or kobe.. 

I feel like any company is capable of churning out a decent looking shoe.

If UA releases 7 KD shoes I'm sure atleast 2 of them will be cool.

They don't have a winning formula for basketball shoes so I'm sure they're willing to adjust their style of design to generate some sort of buzz.

i was born in 80 and when i was growing up, jordans were really popular, but only rich kids got them cause they were t he only nike shoe over 100 dollars.. i remember begging my mom for a pair of raptor 7's, but she wasnt havent that.. my mom always got me the cheaper nikes with no air bubble.. that were like 30 - 50 dollars. 

but anyway to answer your questions jordans have always been popular.
No one was arguing that they weren't popular. I was asking if they sold like they do now. I don't think they did. Because like you said they were too expensive for a lot of people.

Like for instance I remember when the concord 11s came out, only one person in my entire elementary had them. 

Mine arrived from the 25% off SA deal, too bad they came after I went to the gym though.  Also came in a box, when I thought people said they bagged them.

KD should leave. I don't think Nike should match, because if they do it will set a crazy precedent. When LeBron roll around, he's gonna want a Jordan-esq "team Bron" type deal. Plus I have faith in UA actually making a decent product for him.

No one was arguing that they weren't popular. I was asking if they sold like they do now. I don't think they did. Because like you said they were too expensive for a lot of people.

Like for instance I remember when the concord 11s came out, only one person in my entire elementary had them. 
no they didnt sell out.. 

It's true. But he was the best player in the league, so people sort of ignored that. 

Plus, Jordans weren't necessarily flying off the shelves while he was a player (especially early in his career). I don't have the figures in front of me, so I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that he had a similar rise in sales as LeBron and KD.

I was born in 85, so my age corresponds with each Jordan release. When the 7s came out, I was 7, etc. I don't remember a ton of people walking around in Jordans until around the the 12s. Like I thought if you had Jordans on your parents were wealthy. My parents couldn't afford to get us Jordans. What does everyone else remember? Were these more popular earlier on?
they thought about shutting down the air jordans after 2s. They didn't sell well at all. Decided to switch it up and have tinker design the 3 and the rest is history

from a performance standpoint i wouldn't be surprised if Kd's UA shoe out performs his nike shoes. UA is ALL about performance and they make really good kicks to  hoop in. Just so happens that they aren't Nike or JB so most haven't tried them because in some people's minds they think that a swoosh or a jumpman instantly makes a shoe look and perform better

Back
Top Bottom