Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

like 32 games to go?... still 3 back.. We have to step it up quick!

I hope we can gain some ground from now until our next two series with Arizona. 6 more games with them this year.. It's not over yet!!

[h1]Dodgers' Andruw Jones gives first base a try[/h1]

Normally a center fielder, he plays first base for triple-A Las Vegas to give sore right knee a break. Dodgers Manager Joe Torre doesn't rule out possibility that Jones might play first in the majors.

By Bill Shaikin, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 25, 2008

PHILADELPHIA -- Andruw Jones had played 1,835 games in the major leagues and another 324 games in the minor leagues without ever playing first base.

Until Saturday night, that is. Jones, on a rehabilitation assignment at triple-A Las Vegas, played first base -- at his request.

The Dodgers invested $36 million in Jones as a center fielder. Yet the club management and training staff approved his request, deciding the risk of injury at an unfamiliar position did not warrant holding him out of the lineup.

"That's what we obviously balanced," General Manager Ned Colletti said Sunday. "His knee wasn't feeling as good as he wanted, but he didn't want to sit out another day."

Jones, on the disabled list because of tendinitis in his left knee, arrived in Las Vegas nine days ago and played three games before stepping into a hole in the outfield and irritating his surgically repaired right knee.
Las Vegas could not use the designated hitter Saturday, in a game between National League affiliates, so Jones persuaded club officials to let him return to the lineup at first base, saying his movements would be limited there and that he had played the position on occasion in spring training with the Atlanta Braves.

Jones had two hits and stole a base, playing six innings at first base before leaving for a defensive replacement.

He did not play Sunday, in what Colletti said was a previously scheduled day off. Colletti said the position Jones would play today had not been decided.

Manager Joe Torre downplayed -- but did not rule out -- the notion that Jones could see any playing time at first base when he returns to the Dodgers.

And at bat . . .

Jones is batting .385 in four games at Las Vegas, with two home runs and two strikeouts in 13 at-bats. He hit .161 in 74 games with the Dodgers, with three home runs and 74 strikeouts.

The Dodgers have assigned roving hitting instructor Jeff Pentland to Las Vegas, specifically to work with Jones.

"He and Pentland have been working on a lot of different things. We'll see if he can translate it to the big leagues when the time comes," Colletti said. "The reports have been positive before, so we'll have to see."

Winter ball

Dodgers coach Mariano Duncan, who has not managed at any level, said he will manage the La Romana club in the Dominican Republic this winter. He said he is not yet sure whether he wants to manage in the majors.

"I want to see if I like it," he said.

Infielder Angel Berroa and pitcher Ramon Troncoso of the Dodgers are expected to play for La Romana this winter, Duncan said.

Short hops

Closer Takashi Saito is expected to pitch off a mound this weekend, for the first time since suffering a sprained elbow ligament six weeks ago; Torre said another setback for Saito could mean surgery. "It's something he would have to take a hard look at," Torre said. . . . Scott Proctor and Jason Schmidt each are scheduled to pitch twice this week at Las Vegas. . . . Torre said he did not anticipate any player acquisitions by the Aug. 31 deadline for postseason eligibility. . . . Blake DeWitt, the Dodgers' opening-day third baseman, went five for five Sunday as the Las Vegas second baseman. DeWitt has 11 hits in his last 19 at-bats.

[table][tr][td]
Mailbag: Should Broxton close?

Beat reporter Ken Gurnick answers Dodgers fans' questions

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
zdizg6sk.jpg

Jonathan Broxton has 10 saves for the Dodgers this season. (Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images)

more_coverage_la.gif

[/td] [/tr][/table]
Is Jonathan Broxton cut out to be the successor to Takashi Saito as Dodgers closer?
-- Ron P., Cerritos, Calif.

If not Broxton, then who? Broxton is getting the acid test with Saito out. Last year, Broxton collapsed in September with a 6.75 ERA, and he was only being asked to set up. Barring a miraculous comeback by Saito, the job is Broxton's to lose for the rest of this season. He's the only healthy Dodgers reliever that can throw 100 mph. After blowing Sunday's save, he's converted nine of his first 11 save opportunities since Saito went down.

There doesn't seem to be a better option. Hong-Chih Kuo is the most likely alternative, but he has an elbow history that makes him an unlikely choice. Yhency Brazoban once was the closer, but he can't stay healthy. Brad Penny is an intriguing possibility, but his health is uncertain as well. Derek Lowe has done it with Boston, but he's needed to start. Two Minor Leaguers from the most recent Draft to watch for the future are second-round pick Josh Lindblom and 11th-rounder Nathan Eovaldi. Lindblom has been starting for Great Lakes since signing. Left-hander Brent Leach has been closing at Jacksonville, but without an overpowering pitch could also become a situational lefty.

With Nomar Garciaparra eligible for free agency, is it possible that the Dodgers would want to re-sign him as a clutch pinch-hitter, keeping him off the field and keeping him healthy?
-- Aaron A., Nipomo, Calif.

On the Dodgers part? Sure. On Garciaparra's part? Almost impossible. Garciaparra has been an everyday player since his rookie season. He's earned more than $75 million in the game. You would be asking him to take about a 90 percent pay cut to be a pinch-hitter and accept a job sitting around when he believes that he's shown he can still play the infield on a daily basis. If you mean more of a utility role, where he could play all over the infield, get 300-plus at-bats and be paid accordingly, that's a role for which many feel Garciaparra would be ideally suited.

Who figures on being the Dodgers' September callups?
-- Ted M., Willow Street, Pa.

http://

[table][tr][td]
Have a question about the Dodgers?

pTEo7FFX.jpg
E-mail your query to MLB.com Dodgers beat reporter Ken Gurnick for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
First Name, Last Initial:
[/td] [td]
Hometown:
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Email Address:
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Question:

trans.gif

[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Probably James McDonald, Blake DeWitt, Chin-lung Hu and Jason Repko. They'll also need a third catcher and it could be Lucas May, who is on the 40-man roster, or A.J. Ellis, who is not. One player they wanted to call up, but who is not on the 40-man roster, is left-handed pitcher Scott Elbert. Anyone expecting the Dodgers to call up a boatload of young players just to see them in a Major League uniform will be very disappointed. The current Dodgers management utilizes every loophole in the book to work around the 40-man roster limit and retain a surplus of players, most often by placing injured players on the 60-day disabled list, where they don't count against the 40-man roster. Current Dodgers on that list are Tony Abreu, Jason Schmidt, Rafael Furcal, Gary Bennett, Scott Proctor and Brazoban. To activate any of them, a corresponding player must be taken off the 40-man roster.

It seems like opposing teams are stealing bases against the Dodgers at an alarming rate. Is that true?
-- Ted R., Chatsworth, Calif.

Very true. It hasn't been pretty, as Dodgers catchers are erasing basestealers at a dreadful rate of 15.9 percent on the season, which is on target to be the worst for the franchise since 1996 (14.9 percent) when Mike Piazza was the catcher. With Gold Glove catcher Russell Martin getting the bulk of the action, much of it rests on him. He has thrown out runners at a 15.5 percent clip -- last in the league and barely half of his 29.3 percent last year. It's a wonder clubs aren't running more on the Dodgers to exploit the situation.

Who are the surviving members of the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers?
Bill H., Macungie, Pa.

Duke Snider, Don Zimmer, George Shuba, Bob Borkowski, Don Newcombe, Carl Erskine, Billy Loes, Ed Roebuck, Roger Craig, Sandy Koufax and Tom Lasorda.

laugh.gif

If we don't sweep the Nats and take 2 out of 3 from the Dbags then you can pretty much say we are done.

smh.gif
4 for 33 with RISP.
smh.gif

Arizona keeps losing so that gives us a chance. Keep it at 2 to 3 games back when we meet Arizona. There playing the cards when we meet the pads. Offense hasto step it up. I smell a 6 game winning streak soon. Its not over until were mathematically eliminated. GO BLUE.

Jones is batting .385 in four games at Las Vegas, with two home runs and two strikeouts in 13 at-bats
I hope Andrew has finally found his wood.

NEXT GAME 8/26

TV: PRIME-HD | RADIO: KABC 790, KHJ 930

matchup.png

matchup.png

@
Nationals Park
4:10PM PDT

Lowe (10-10)

Balester (2-6)

Tickets

Probable Pitchers | Full Schedule

[table][tr][td]West[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]PCT[/td] [td]GB[/td] [td]E#[/td] [td]L10[/td] [td]STRK[/td] [td]vs E[/td] [td]vs C[/td] [td]vs W[/td] [td]INT[/td] [td]HOME[/td] [td]ROAD[/td] [td]vs R[/td] [td]vs L[/td] [td]XTRA[/td] [td]1-RUN[/td] [td]RS[/td] [td]RA[/td] [td]X W-L[/td] [td]LAST GAME[/td] [td]NEXT GAME[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]68[/td] [td]63[/td] [td].519[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]L2[/td] [td]15-21[/td] [td]13-16[/td] [td]34-17[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]37-28[/td] [td]31-35[/td] [td]42-46[/td] [td]26-17[/td] [td]4-4[/td] [td]17-17[/td] [td]606[/td] [td]564[/td] [td]70-61[/td] [td] 8/25 @ SD, L 2-4[/td] [td]8/26 @ SD, 10:05P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]65[/td] [td]66[/td] [td].496[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]3-7[/td] [td]L4[/td] [td]16-15[/td] [td]20-17[/td] [td]24-24[/td] [td]5-10[/td] [td]39-30[/td] [td]26-36[/td] [td]42-49[/td] [td]23-17[/td] [td]5-9[/td] [td]17-19[/td] [td]541[/td] [td]532[/td] [td]66-65[/td] [td] 8/25 @ PHI, L 0-5[/td] [td]8/26 @ WSH, 7:10P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Colorado[/td] [td]62[/td] [td]71[/td] [td].466[/td] [td]7.0[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]8-2[/td] [td]W3[/td] [td]15-18[/td] [td]20-16[/td] [td]20-29[/td] [td]7-8[/td] [td]36-30[/td] [td]26-41[/td] [td]40-56[/td] [td]22-15[/td] [td]4-5[/td] [td]21-17[/td] [td]624[/td] [td]682[/td] [td]61-72[/td] [td] 8/25 @ SF, W 4-2[/td] [td]8/26 @ SF, 10:15P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Francisco[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]73[/td] [td].443[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]7-3[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]19-13[/td] [td]9-25[/td] [td]24-23[/td] [td]6-12[/td] [td]29-38[/td] [td]29-35[/td] [td]44-48[/td] [td]14-25[/td] [td]7-4[/td] [td]26-16[/td] [td]503[/td] [td]604[/td] [td]55-76[/td] [td] 8/25 v COL, L 2-4[/td] [td]8/26 v COL, 10:15P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Diego[/td] [td]49[/td] [td]82[/td] [td].374[/td] [td]19.0[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]2-8[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]12-16[/td] [td]13-21[/td] [td]21-30[/td] [td]3-15[/td] [td]28-38[/td] [td]21-44[/td] [td]35-50[/td] [td]14-32[/td] [td]5-6[/td] [td]13-25[/td] [td]498[/td] [td]616[/td] [td]53-78[/td] [td] 8/25 v ARI, W 4-2[/td] [td]8/26 v ARI, 10:05P[/td] [/tr][/table]
This series is crucial. I hope the Dodgers don't drop the ball versus JRAIN's boyfriends
nerd.gif

here you go fellas, last one of the year I'm getting (what's kind of weird is a 7:05 friday night game???)...
A THANK YOU FROM TOMMY LASORDA
The Dodgers would like to say "thanks" for coming out and enjoying the action this past homestand atDodger Stadium. We are so thankful that we'd like to offer you a great deal on exciting games during our upcoming series versus the Padresand D-backs.

Purchase Preferred Loge Box tickets (reg. $50) or Field Box tickets (reg. $50) for just $25 for the September 2 game vs. Padres and the September 5 & 7games vs. D-backs. Save 50%!

This offer is available online only compliments of Alaska Airlines and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Simply enter"FLYALASKA" underneath "Promotions and Special Offers" after clicking the
icon_ticket.gif
next to the game you wish to attend.

Tuesday, September 2, 7:10 p.m. vs.
sd_standings_logo.gif

Friday, September 5, 7:05 p.m. vs.
ari_standings_logo.gif

trans.gif
Promotion: Heart of LA Poster to first 50,000 fans

Sunday, September 7, 1:10 p.m. vs.
ari_standings_logo.gif

275x235_tommy_thanks.jpg

enjoy.

-J-

oh christ..how about i make the font white?
smh.gif

eek.gif
the first run in almost 17 innings.

laugh.gif
@ how they got the run, the batters are pressing. It's just not looking too good with the season winding down.

smh.gif
I can't $@$*!*$ believe this.

Nomar, double play with the bases loaded.

These stupid +%%%%@###$+@$ keep pulling the ball towards third base - can't these MAJOR LEAGUE hitters hit the ball at least towards the middle or secondto give the runner an opportunity to try and score.

This is horrible.

5 gm losing streak.

Lost 8 of the last 10.

I don't care what happens in the clubhouse, but I want these guys to be ripped apart. @+!# the *$#%*@#$, losing to the Nats?! What are they 36-70?! Shakesomething up, cus whatever it is, it aint working.

Yeah, Joe is a cool dude, I hope Larry Bowa opens up and just gives all these players some fire. This team should never be in the position they're in -always trying to make it in the postseason, but always falling short.

I hate to say it, Ned has done everything he can to make up for his mistakes and tried to get the proper players to help compete to win the NL west, but whennone of these players are putting it together as a TEAM, they'll never win anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Nats sweep the Dodgers.

laugh.gif
got the same e-mail today JBug, but at this point I'm not spending any money to go see them play.

I don't even know how a team with this much talent can play so poorly. Last year our team was young, so it was a little bit more excusable. But this yearwe have a solid group of veterans in Manny, Nomar, Blake and Kent who should be putting in work right now to keep us in the playoff hunt, but it's just nothappening (and clearly not all the blame is on them, I'm just saying)

extremely disappointing
smh.gif
smh.gif

SD 8 AZ 2

If the D'backs keep losing, I feel as if it gives the Dodgers the wrong mentality going into games. There isn't so much a sense of urgency; orimportance.

eyes.gif

I have defended him so many times while he wore the Dodger uniform. However, I can't wait until Jeff Kent is off the team. He is like your co-worker thatis productive, yet you don't like him because he is a hater and/or selfish and negative..

Dodgers are 4-7 since Manny cut his hair.
They have also tanked ever since Jeff Kent made those stupid comments in regards to him being MORE productive due to the arrival of Manny. Personally, my visits to the clubhouse are short and brief. When Manny arrived, I saw him and Kent poking at each other. Now, they are"Professional" around each other.

Kent is a pro, yet he didn't know how to answer a question without being negative. Why not just say, "Manny is part of the reason I am hittingbetter". You give Manny credit, and you still give yourself some credit at the same time. The team, along with Manny has not been the same since thosecomments surfaced.

I don't care what happens in the clubhouse
It's the reason why this "Team" is falling apart.

Back
Top Bottom