**Official Lupe Fiasco Thread** (LASERS March 8, 2011 // Friend of The People Coming Soon)

no offense, but...no. i don't think the concept lupe delivered on the cool will ever be matched:
http://rapgenius.com/posts/Lupe-fiasco-the-proust-of-rap

to me, it's f&l = the cool >>> f&l2 >> lasers

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i was disappointed to not have any tracks solely dedicated to progressing this storyline that he had going w/ his first 2 albums. i think the Michael Young History bit was one of the main reasons i started listening to lupe in the first place. his wordplay and metaphors on those joints were just :x x :smokin

What does ITAL stand for?

to me it sounds like he's saying ITAL I A

ITALIA (ferrari) maybe?

**** i don't know.

I thought it was Ital or I-tal - a food often celebrated by those in the Rastafari movement. The word derives from the English word "vital".

The primary goal of adhering to an Ital diet is to increase Livity, or the life energy that Rastas generally believe lives within all of us, as conferred from the Almighty.

So i got through the whole album and i will agree with everyone. Better then lasers but no where near the cool and F&L or any mixtape he dropped.

One of my favorite things that has been lost in the new age lupe (not mixtape lupe) is the ability to pick up new things in the song on each listen. I know he still has it in him because honestly Lite Work on FOTP is a masterpiece. But i like the messages in the songs but there really isn't as much depth as i wanted. For a record to be a great record to me it either needs hard body beats with hard rhymes so i can work out to it or get energized by it, or it needs to have lyrical depth. And this is just kinda in the middle. Like great points being made....production is good...no real complaints...but no "bangers". I have a feeling i will forget this came out (just like i did with lasers) in about a month or two.

But rap music is finishing the year super strong right now. LA Coka Nostra - Aesop Rock - Brother Ali - Lupe - Fashawn+Murs - Kendrick Lamar - P.O.S. - Vinnie Paz got me off my long standing indie music kick.

One thing I remember from one of Lupe's recent interviews, he stated to focus on, "The great american rap album" portion not so much on the food & liquor.  This was already going to be different than f&l, because this album already has a subject to follow.  Also you have to put in the account of how much power Atlantic has over what Lu wants.

this is great
pimp.gif

just wish heart donor went away sometimes

Still i feel the beats and the instrumentals are not for Lupe. They are not that bad as they were in Lasers but they still feel kinda out of placed. Lupe's lyric game is on point but there are some pretty weak hooks in here that just kinda ruin the whole song for me. Still a ok album but not better than F&L and The Cool.

You know, I would have thought Atlantic would know what type of fanbase Lupe appeals to and let him ride with most of his decisions, but I guess not. I mean, look at Death Grips, I'm pretty sure they get to ride with whatever the hell they want since the label knows what type of fanbase its gonna appeal too. Guess theres just that more decisive factors to take into account. Pop Hop really ruins it for everybody...

Last edited:
Not gonna dig through this thread to find the string of posts claiming that the first half of this album is better than the second. Just wanted to say that I couldnt disagree more.

Last edited:
I really like this album.

2 duds on there. dont remember the names but one of them is definitely heart donor

also, 2 of those beats (ill find the names later ) are GREAT. like some other Rappers are gonna rip them...or at least i hope.

You know, I would have thought Atlantic would know what type of fanbase Lupe appeals to and let him ride with most of his decisions, but I guess not. I mean, look at Death Grips, I'm pretty sure they get to ride with whatever the hell they want since the label knows what type of fanbase its gonna appeal too. Guess theres just that more decisive factors to take into account. Pop Hop really ruins it for everybody...
Lupe sold well with Lazers. I knew as soon as those first week sales came out that Atlantic would keep meddling with Luoe's sound.

How many more albums are on his deal with Atlantic?:nerd:

stil havent had time to sit through and listen :smh: work and school was busy today

anyone want to tell me the real good songs? so i cant listen to that first lol

stil havent had time to sit through and listen :smh: work and school was busy today

anyone want to tell me the real good songs? so i cant listen to that first lol

Form Follows Function is my favorite track i think.

Strange Fruition
Lambo Angles

The rest of the singles if you haven't heard them are ok aka B-Bad and Around my way, battle scars is a pop song but a decent pop song.

Last edited:
feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i was disappointed to not have any tracks solely dedicated to progressing this storyline that he had going w/ his first 2 albums. i think the Michael Young History bit was one of the main reasons i started listening to lupe in the first place. his wordplay and metaphors on those joints were just :x x :smokin

Cold War is about Micahael Young. the last verse at least

Overall i like it nowhere near the level of "F&L" or "The Cool" but i like it and that to me is a win haha

Wow I'm really out of touch with hip hop. I aint know this album dropped let alone leaked. Aint seen no promo for this either. I figured yall were in here arguing about some of the dumb **** Lupe has been saying on twitter.

:smh: @ OP and not changing the thread title though.

Will listen tomorrow.

Atlantic has options on each of Lupe's next couple albums... They had him under contract with F&L & 5 options after that that they can choose to pick up. If they choose to pick up the next 2 options, Lupe has F&L2 Part 2 coming out & Skulls (Which he said is almost complete) & that's it. :nerd:

Strange Fruition & Audubon Ballroom are too good :pimp:

How Dare You go and do me like that?:smokin song is a nice break from the other topics at hand, does what heart doner and brave heart doesn't imo

flow is on the stove, I'm cooking for the kids/Wrist is in the freezer, heart is in the fridge- But we can warm it up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom