Official Mad Men Season 5 Thread - Episode - 13 - "The Phantom" 6/10 10pm - Season Finale

Roger's always lulz 
laugh.gif

I hope this new kid's gonna shake things up.
Hope Betty's cancer spreads. Is it still possible? Wasnt paying too close of attention during the scene.

Of course when Betty finds out that she's not really sick she goes right back to being a +@#*% again
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
. Can't stand her.
Man Megan keeps looking even more stunning each episode 
pimp.gif
. Roger gonna try getting with Peggy next episode??

Megan is gorgeous and sexy.  Her teeth are starting to bother me though.  I've ignored it all this time until last night's episode.  
laugh.gif

Harry eating 20 burgers.  
laugh.gif

The subtle comedy in this show is golden...lol @ Don's secretary named 'Don.'
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Doesn't this new guy look like Chachi/Charles in Charge?

I expected January Jones to be heavier because of her pregnancy, but whatever makeup they added was awfully distracting. I generally find January Jones to have the emotion of a ice statue, but I think I'll like the direction Betty will be taking. She's going to continue the path that she started after she married Henry, she still won't be truly happy. Don's lies and affairs was an understandable reason for her problems before, but Henry has been nothing but great to her. Wealthy, supportive, doesn't even care she gained 30 pounds all in her face. I kind of thought they might give her cancer and work to kill her off, but I'm glad they didn't. Her panic and call to Don was a nice moment between the two of them.

This week's episode definitely explored the theme of the older generation getting pushed out, or at least feeling the pressure, of the younger crowd. Roger moving the meeting to his office
laugh.gif
but Pete pulling a fast one and stealing the client was a cold move. Roger's line to Peggy "Forget everything I said before, that's the last guy I hired" was pretty great. I hope Roger can find business and regain some power. We've seen Pete be the pompous jerk who hadn't earned things yet.. but now he has put in the work so he does deserve recognition and respect. He's still a prick, though. While Roger's "skills" have always been hard to define, I'd like to see him make one last stand, rather than just be totally pushed out.

Don and Harry hanging out was hysterical. Besides Harry looking like an idiot and thinking he signed the Stones "They played for me"
roll.gif
Don's hatred of him was so obvious. Harry eating all the hamburgers while Don just wanted him to leave
laugh.gif
Don talking to the young girl was another good scene. He wasn't the same overly charming and plain cool Don of the earlier seasons. He's always been part of the "establishment", but now it's much more obvious he's on the wrong side of the change that's coming. When he said to the girl "We're worried about you" was a good example of that.

episode 2 was solid - and WOAH at Betty - some great make up done.

Really enjoy the tone of the season already

Betty's weight gain, in addition to Don finding a younger great-looking girl, must really consume her.
Not too often do you see people get to Roger the way Pete did. 

Harry annoying Don in the car.
laugh.gif

Henry dislikes Don to the point where couldn't be courteous enough to tell Betty he called to check on her status. Jerk.

Good episode.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Damn did January actually gain that weight or did the extra money in the Mad Men budget allow them to use cgi to add on the pounds.

Even though she's said to be a %+$!$ and isn't a good actor props if she gained that weight.

shes wearing a fat suit.  january jones didnt gain any weight during her pregnancy.  chicks a model
laugh.gif

Oh Peggy!!!!!!!!!!!

what a showdown with Roger, that was amazing and hilarious...moment of the season thus far!!

"want me to take your watch too"

Yeah that's the highlight of the episode so far. I'm trying to remember if Peggy and Roger ever had scenes together before?

I mean, what else would it have been? You think Jessica Pare's not gonna come home to her own apartment for the entire night while Don's sick? Weird scene though.

GREAT scene with Peggy and Roger. Whenever Mad Men ends, I want a Roger spinoff.

It was a really weird scene. I even asked my gf before Don smashed that other chick what the hell was taking Megan so long to get home. 

Even though I knew it HAD to be a dream.. I still was pretty shocked at that scene anyway.

That episode felt a lot longer than it was.. and I mean that in a good way. I really like the new copywriter.. and Don's line of "I'm on the verge of throwing you in front of a cab" was great.

I'm disappointed that Roger has continued to slack off, but at least it got he and Peggy a great scene. I really don't think they've had a scene by themselves before, so that was a really good pairing. Peggy had a really strong episode. The Roger stuff plus her and Dawn was interesting. I'm glad they didn't jump right into Peggy befriending her, but rather while drunk she opened up to her but still had to question if she could leave her purse around her. That was good moment where they both recognized Peggy's "fear" and Peggy tried to move past it but she couldn't help her prejudice.

Don's dream was really done well. Like I said, I knew Don didn't really just murder someone then barely hid her under the bed
laugh.gif
but it was a relief that he didn't really cheat on Megan. The other woman's line of "A mistake you love making" is a good description of Don and his infidelity.

Finally, Joan had one of her better episodes of the series. I'm glad he's finally gone, especially since Joan got to tell him off as she was referring back to the time he raped her.

Overall, I thought it was a well done episode. With a lot of dramas now a days, it's hard to separate episodes from the overall season story.. this one did a lot, the new guy was successful, moved along Roger's story, Peggy and Dawn, Megan and Don, and then Joan.

Originally Posted by Noskey

I want a Roger spinoff.

no no no...Roger is a product of the office and the characters surrounding him, he can't survive alone, nor would a spin off make sense

Great episode, Peggy and Joan were incredibly good in this episode. I really enjoyed Peggy's interaction with Dawn as it showed although they have so much in common as women, the racial issues of the time show just how different their struggle was.

Back
Top Bottom