Official Mad Men Season 5 Thread - Episode - 13 - "The Phantom" 6/10 10pm - Season Finale

pimp.gif
good episode. the Don scene was done very well as stated. loved the Peg/Roger interaction as well. show has been consistent through it's run.

Read on imdb that the $410 that Peggy got adjusted for inflation is actually around 3k. Just to put in perspective. Damn, Roger always stays with a lot of cash! Remember he pulled out money from his pocket like nothing to bribe Harry for his office?

anyways, this was a good episode. I was also glad that whole thing was a dream, cause as it was playing out I was like what the f? lol.

Anyone think that the new copywriter is a holocaust survivor? Or maybe his dad is. I think that's probably the reason why he was disgusted at that whole murder/rape talk.

Finally gave this show a chance and was able to catch up from season 1 to yesterday's episode in two weeks time. I'm glad I did.

So uncharacteristic of Roger to be so desperate. Peggy taking full opportunity of the situation of Roger acknowledging her talent, and his lack of options, was great. She didn't hide her arrogance one bit. And in a time of need, Roger didn't hide his either; reminding Peggy he still had the power to fire her. 
laugh.gif

As much as I love this show.. their promos are so vague and boring. I know Matthew Weiner hates/is afraid of spoilers, but I always laugh at how the promos tell you nothing.
laugh.gif

Also, John Slattery (Roger) is directing tonight's episode.

I'd much rather the promos tell nothing then tell something.

Why the hell would you want to know what's happening next week, it's not like you're not going to watch anyway. Might as well be surprised.

laugh.gif
good point

Usually it's right after the last episode ends that I need to know what happens next week.. so the promos are usually of little help.

This episode is automatically in my top 5 just to see Pete get his *+@ kicked.

It started off slow, but picked up and was another strong episode for those involved. We got a little bit of Peggy with her relationship to Ken, but a good focus on Pete and Lane (with a little Don thrown in).

For Pete, I've noticed the transformation of Pete becoming more and more like Don. He's wanted to be Don and gain his approval for the entire series.. and it was clear tonight. First, Pete's excitement over Don finally coming over to dinner. Best part of that scene was the wives swooning over Don fixing the faucet, when he took off his dress shirt Ken's wife with "Look it's Superman"
laugh.gif
Plus Don in that hideous sports coat
laugh.gif
But through Pete it's like we're getting a look at a pre-season 1 Don.. where he truly "had it all" but was feeling unsatisfied and started to cheat. Don made the point about Megan "If I had met her first I wouldn't have thrown it away". Pete's confession in the elevator "I have nothing, Don" was pretty sad.. even for such a turd of a guy like Pete. He's truly a fascinating character. He's a greedy and thinks the world owes him everything, but on the flip side, he's worked hard and done a lot for the agency.

He certainly crossed the line when he went after Lane.. calling him a homosexual and saying he didn't see Lane's purpose for being there. The fight was pretty great for both characters. Lane got a small victory over Pete and Pete got knocked down a peg. Cooper, Sterling, and Don all letting it happening was the best part of the episode.. Don even closed the curtains
roll.gif

Also, before the fight, Cooper rubbing Roger's shoulders was such a hilarious visual. I always like when they reference their closeness and how they've known each other their entire lives. That was probably put in there by John Slattery since he was directing.

Lane = Lennox Lewis
Pete= Mike Tyson

Too bad Lane didn't work the body or else shoulders would have been clapped.

That fight scene was totally unbelievable (in a bad way), way too stylized and fake.

The concept of the scene was solid but it was poorly executed.

Great episode.

IDK why but the way Cooper said "reschedule the meeting" to Joan was HILARIOUS right after the fight

Great ep. It was hilarious. Just the underlying theme and characters trying to get from under roles they have been playing on the show for so long all in their own way of trying to get respect.

The focus on Pete becoming a douche cuz he's so unsatisfied and not happy with what he has was good.

roll.gif
@ that dialogue leading up to the fight.

Lane
pimp.gif

Yall know Joan opened the door cuz she was gonna let him hit it if she didn't.

I swear I giggled like a little school girl through the whole fight seen. Got me sitting here thinking **% is wrong with me.

Incidents in the class displayed that Pete is both, losing interest in his marriage, and feels older. From him asking the young girl out, to the way he looked at the physically young boy, who she obviously would prefer to spend her time with; and being mistaken for the instructor only added to it. He was reluctant to go to the room with the girl at the party, and seemed regretful afterwards. Pete's infidelity and aging are factors to look forward to later on. In addition to what took place in this episode, in terms of his aging, someone also commented on Pete possibly going bald in the first episode of the season. 
laugh.gif

He really disrespected Lane by degrading his value to the company. Don did say something similar to Lane at the end of season three, prior to Lane firing them as well, though.

Megan was painfully obvious about not remembering Cynthia's name. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Cooper, Sterling, and Don all letting it happening was the best part of the episode.. Don even closed the curtains
roll.gif

Also, before the fight, Cooper rubbing Roger's shoulders was such a hilarious visual. I always like when they reference their closeness and how they've known each other their entire lives.

Was about to post about these 2 things as well. I
laugh.gif
when Don closed the curtains.
I think it the whole scene from the time that partner's meeting started till the end of the fight, to the elevator scene with Don & Pete, kinda showed how the partner's at the firm are kinda like a family.  Or rather like a set of brothers, who can be immature and fight.  But also how each have their distinctive roles.  Idk

Also, while Pete is a d-bag, I think the whole angle of Pete's age is getting to him + him realizing he's not "manly" by losing to Lane and not being able to fix the sink is kinda sad.  That prostitute even said "you must be one of those guys who are stronger than they look" which alluded to it, as well as him "checking out" that high school kid. 
This whole episode Pete took L's toward his manhood & his age
ohwell.gif
lolz

Back
Top Bottom