Official Mayweather vs. Mosley Thread: Legacy Defining

How could people bet against Floyd?

The man was 40-0. It's was a guaranteed win.

confused01.gif

[h1]Pacquiao-Mayweather still possibility[/h1]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Now that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has dispatched Shane Mosley, talk immediately turned to the potential showdown with Manny Pacquiao, who has apparently softened his stance on the drug testing procedures that derailed their negotiations in January.

box_ap_pacquiao_65.jpg

Pacquiao

Pacquiao and Mayweather, universally regarded as the top two fighters in boxing, tried to make the mega fight in December and January.

The camps had agreed on all terms except for the way to handle drug testing for what many believe would be the biggest money fight in boxing history. The all-time pay-per-view record of 2.45 million was set in Mayweather's victory against Oscar De La Hoya in 2007.

When Pacquiao and Mayweather reached an impasse, Pacquiao went on to easily defeat Joshua Clottey on March 13 and Mayweather took a lopsided unanimous decision against Mosley in their welterweight super fight on Saturday night.

Mayweather, who accused Pacquiao of using performance enhancing drugs despite having no evidence, had insisted on strict blood and urine testing, which was employed during the lead up and immediate aftermath of his fight with Mosley.

Pacquiao, who has a defamation lawsuit pending against Mayweather and his team over the accusations, agreed to unlimited urine testing -- but with limits on how many blood tests he would take and how close to the fight he would agree to be tested.

Now, less than 48 hours after Mayweather's victory, Pacquiao seems to be in a compromising mood in order to make a fight for which official negotiations have not yet begun.

"I am willing to help the sport for the future of the sport. I do not want to see anyone cheat or cheat this sport. For that reason I am willing to consider taking blood [tests] as close as 14 days prior to the fight, as long as my opponent does the same, and it is not a lot of blood, just enough to test," Pacquiao is quoted as saying on his official website.

Mayweather has no issue undergoing the same kind of testing as his opponent.

During the previous negotiation, Pacquiao had insisted on a cut off of blood testing 30 days before the fight and eventually moved to 24 days when it came to light that he had taken a blood test during that time frame before his second-round knockout of Ricky Hatton in May 2009.

Pacquiao had agreed all along to take a blood test immediately after the fight.

"I do not want anyone having an unfair advantage where someone may get hurt," said Pacquiao, who is in the final days of his congressional campaign in the Philippines. "I am willing to do my part to help this sport out."

Pacquiao had said previously he did not want to have blood drawn too close to the fight because he feels like it weakens him.

"Mayweather is the furthest thing on our mind," Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser, said in a statement to Pacquiao's website. "Our focus has been and continues to be Manny's desire to become congressman."

Following the election, Pacquiao and his family are expected to go on vacation and the fighter will discuss his next bout upon his return. "As Manny has stated many times, we are willing to fight anyone, anytime, anywhere in accordance with the athletic commission's rules and regulations in which ever state we fight in.We will not be bullied into or entertain any additional rules or regulations to be imposed by our opponent."

Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter is headed to the Philippines to support Pacquiao in the final days of his campaign. He told ESPN.com on Monday that during the trip he will not talk to Pacquiao about Mayweather, drug testing or any boxing business.

"As far as I am concerned, I am not even going to raise anything," Arum said. "We're not even going to talk about future plans until after election and that's the truth.

"I have no thoughts about the other stuff but I have an open mind to everything. Obviously, he's my fighter and I will do what he asks me to do, but there's a time for everything. And the time is not now."

Mayweather said after the fight Saturday night that he would fight Pacquiao under the same kind of Olympic-style testing used for the fight with Mosley.

"If he wants to fight it's not that hard to find me," Mayweather said. "We tried to fight before and it didn't work, and we moved on. Mosley did what I asked him to do and if every athlete in the sport would do that, we know we would have a clean sport. Everyone should take the test. I am willing to take the tests. If Manny takes the test we can make the fight happen. If he doesn't we don't have a fight."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

SRR was 40-0 when he first faced LaMotta.
You never know in this sport.

^ my thoughts is the fight is still NOT going to happen... what part of RANDOM drug testing does manny not get? hes basically trying to do the same thing and pick when his blood tests will be

So a blood test 14 days before and immediately right after the fight not sufficient enough?

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

So a blood test 14 days before and immediately right after the fight not sufficient enough?

QFT...

I mean he has said he's not comfortable giving blood so close to the fight...

There's no reason why 14 days, a blood test right after the fight and unlimited urine throughout shouldn’t be enough...

This is a fair compromise...

I think the bigger issue is going to be the bread and how it's spilt..

When the pay per view numbers come in and it shows Floyd did bigger numbers than Paquiao the issue of how the money is spilt is gonna come up again...

and both of them have that ego...

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

confused01.gif
Because Vegas was giving great holds and Oscar nearly beat him by jabbing him to death 

Fight has to happen.

And if it does i'll be happy to say I witnessed it.

I mean to see Mayweather lose, his facial expressions and his mouth will be finally shut. Priceless.

Originally Posted by Dapper D

QFT...

I mean he has said he's not comfortable giving blood so close to the fight...

There's no reason why 14 days, a blood test right after the fight and unlimited urine throughout shouldn’t be enough...

This is a fair compromise...

I think the bigger issue is going to be the bread and how it's spilt..

When the pay per view numbers come in and it shows Floyd did bigger numbers than Paquiao the issue of how the money is spilt is gonna come up again...

and both of them have that ego...
Pac should just do it. Mosley did it, and it's not like Pac starves himself to make weight. If he doesn't give in to Mayweather's demands he just looks more and more like he uses, especially with that idiotic "I don't know what steriods are" comment. I don't understand why people have problem with the random drug testing. It's a good thing for boxing.

Mayweather and Pac know that this will be the biggest fight in the last decade. With all this drama built up, they could potentially make 30M + each. they are not stupid. they will fight. I just hope its sooner than later.

Originally Posted by I3

Fight has to happen.

And if it does i'll be happy to say I witnessed it.

I mean to see Mayweather lose, his facial expressions and his mouth will be finally shut. Priceless.

roll.gif
@ thinking he would lose to pacman

laugh.gif
and we were just talking about the article on Margs today too:
After Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s masterful performance against Shane Mosley, it is easier to accept his bold pronouncements of greatness. He could probably have held his own with the best in any era.

It is safer to wait until a boxer has retired before attempting an all-time rating, but Mayweather has the qualities that make a great fighter. It isn't just his speed and talent. His punch anticipation is uncanny. He expertly "reads" an opponent so that throughout a contest he usually seems to know what the other man is about to do and what punches are going to be thrown.

Mayweather is probably stronger and tougher and a better puncher than is generally realized. Caught and hurt in the second round, Mayweather came right back in the third as if nothing had happened and outclassed Mosley in every round from the third to the finish. This was fighting of the highest order.

Also, Mayweather's conditioning is superb. He stays close to his fighting weight, the way they did in bygone years. His work ethic is perhaps underappreciated.

How, though, would Mayweather have fared against the great welterweights of the past? We think of the old-time champions as somehow larger than life, but the Mayweather of the Mosley fight probably could have excelled against the best.

The old-time champions are considered to have been tougher and to have had more complete ring mechanics than the present-day ones because they fought at a time when competition was deeper. Mayweather's speed, though, could have given problems to the robust practitioners of the past. When a fighter is having every move countered swiftly and sharply it can induce doubt, and when one boxer achieves mental dominance over another the fight is usually over.

So how would Mayweather have fared against past welterweight standouts? Here are some guesses:

Mayweather against Jose Napoles: Cuban great Napoles, who moved to Mexico City when the Castro regime banned professional sport, was a superb boxer-puncher but Mayweather might have been faster and smarter, with a better jab. Napoles had a difficult fight with Ernie "Indian Red" Lopez, a game slugger who might not have been competitive with Mayweather.
Pick: Mayweather

Mayweather against Carmen Basilio: Basilio was as tough as they come, with a wicked left hook, and he beat the bigger Sugar Ray Robinson. Although outscored by the smart-boxing Johnny Saxton, Basilio brutally stopped this skilled boxer in two subsequent meetings. He might have had the tenacity and pressure to overcome Mayweather's superior artistry in a 15-round fight.
Pick: Basilio

Mayweather against Thomas Hearns: The Hit Man's right hand would have been a constant threat, but Mayweather seems the more reliable, steadier boxer, and his quickness could have flustered Hearns.

Mayweather against Roberto Duran: As relentless as Duran was, he might have been bothered by Mayweather's speed, jab and accurate countering. Mayweather would have looked the bigger, stronger man in the ring. It is possible to visualize Duran struggling with Mayweather's style, as in his rematch with Sugar Ray Leonard.

Mayweather against Felix Trinidad: Trinidad was an offensive force, but he fought in straight lines, as the British say. Mayweather would probably have outmaneuvered him.

Mayweather against Sugar Ray Leonard: This would have been a marvelous match. Leonard would have been Mayweather's equal for quickness and intelligence, but he had the punch-volume and extra power to prevail, if barely.
Pick: Leonard

Mayweather against Sugar Ray Robinson: Robinson is generally regarded as the greatest of them all. He was a wonderful boxer -- fast, powerful, courageous and exceptionally tough. Robinson's combinations would likely have trumped Mayweather's sharpshooting.
Pick: Robinson

That article isn't anywhere near as bad as the Margs article. I think it's pretty much on point with what would happen in a fight against those fighters. Just because they're saying Fighter A can beat Fighter B doesn't mean they have Floyd ranked ahead of those fighters.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I can't lie, I was hyped up as well after the fight with Cotto. I thought Margarito would beat any welterweight out there outside of a PBF fight. I wasn't as hasty as the author of that article to put him up there with the greats, though.
Sports Illustrated  had an article  reading "Who Wants to  Fight This Man" and talking  about Mayweather and De La Hoya  ducking  him
tired.gif

That's what i'm saying. Floyd knows damn well that's sufficient enough, he just wants #%%$ his way or no way at all.

^ people keep saying floyd is ducking manny by refusing to fight without the random blood test.... cant the same thing be said about manny ducking floyd by not taking the blood test? i just dont get it... there has to be a double standard... but i guess when your great and undefeated it also comes with a lot of jealousy and hate

Back
Top Bottom