Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

I agree with Bas' logic. If you're aiming to punch a guy and you end up punching him, where's the luck? It all depends on the person and timing ofthe punch, some people would have dropped others wouldn't.

Kimbo trained the ground. He didn't train striking, but he's a striker ... so we're not taking anything away from Petruzelli."

bas trying to train kimbo to be a mediocre fighter just like he was.

who in today's game trains only one aspect no matter who they are facing?

Slice-Petruzelli fight under investigation
A Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation official has told ESPN.com the government body that oversees the state's boxing commission has opened a preliminary investigation into Kimbo Slice's knockout loss to little-known Seth Petruzelli on Saturday.

"While the Department of Business and Professional Regulation doesn't have any reason to believe there was a problem with the Slice-Petruzelli fight, given the interest in it, the department has begun a preliminary investigation to thoroughly review the circumstances of the fight," Jennifer Meale, Communications Director for the DBPR, told ESPN.com.

When The Times contacted a department spokeswoman late Wednesday, she said there was no formal complaint filed; thus no plans for an investigation.

The fight's outcome was stunning given Slice's popularity built in YouTube-aired street fights. But Petruzelli added a new wrinkle on Monday when he told an Orlando, Fla., radio station he was approached by Elite XC promoters before the fight and told he'd earn extra money if he made it a stand-up bout -- which plays to Slice's strength.

Pro Elite, the fight organization's parent company, is in financial duress. Many mixed martial arts web sites pounced on the idea that a near fix was ordered -- the thinking boosted by the fact the company was desperate to keep its most popular fighter unbeaten as it angles for cash from CBS, which televised the Slice bout as a main event with more than four million viewers watching.

Jeremy Lappen, head of fight operations for Pro Elite, wasn't immediately available when The Times attempted to contact him late Thursday, but he told ESPN.com he wasn't concerned about the investigation. He told The Times Wednesday the situation was a "non-story," because he was confident no one from his organization attempted to manipulate the outcome.

Petruzelli has since altered his comments to say he was referring to winning a knockout bonus by keeping the fight a stand-up exchange.

Rival promoter Dana White of the more powerful MMA organization Ultimate Fighting Championship said the questions about the fight "makes me sick to my stomach."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/10/slice-petruzell.htmlhttp://latimesblogs.latim...8/10/slice-petruzell.html

[h3]http://www.themmapost.com/2008/10/fedor-emelianenko-vs-andrei-arlovski-is.html[/h3]
[h3]Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski is Official[/h3]

Props to MMA Rated for breaking the story.
MMARated.com has learned that WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will face Andrei Arlovski at the upcoming Affliction show tentatively scheduled for January 24th in Anaheim, Calif.

Affliction Entertainment VP Tom Atencio confirmed the news with us earlier today.

Atencio also said that the promotion will officially announce the date, location and main fights on the card sometime next week and that it will be an MMA-only card but still co-promoted with Golden Boy Promotions.

"We sat down with them and couldn't come up with a main event boxing match that everyone wanted," Atenco said.

Some great news for sure. With the way Arlovski has been fighting lately, this will surely be one of the toughest tests for Emelianenko to date. Arlovski may be the only heavyweight in the world that can match Fedor's speed. It should be a great fight and a dream match for fans that have followed both fighter's careers.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

^ Yeah, just knowing its on tape delay and I can go online to find out the results just makes less desireable.

But for free, I'll take it. It better be free cause theres no way I would pay $40 for this card.

War Vera!!!

P**s off already.

MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday learned that Affliction Entertainment has entered into a formal partnership with M-1 Global to promote mixed martial arts events around the globe.

The two entities had already been working together, but had no formal arrangement.

The official partnership includes co-promotion of the M-1 challenge series, an international mixed martial arts tournament that pits fighters from different parts of the globe against each other. The M-1 Challenge's next stop is scheduled for Oct. 29 in Kansas City, Mo., where Xtreme Couture light heavyweight Mike Whitehead will headline the card.

Financial details of the partnership are not known, but presumably, the companies would share production costs and split revenue from events. The union's effect on Affliction's recent partnership with Golden Boy Promotions is unknown.

"We're basically just solidifying our relationship," Affliction vice president Tom Atencio told MMAWeekly.com of the Russian promotion. "We work well with them. They're one of the few companies we've worked with that if they say they're going to do something, they do it. They've stood behind us, especially with negotiations with the UFC."

A press conference announcing the partnership will take place Thursday at Trump Towers in New York City.

A likely date of Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif. will be the first "joint venture" featuring Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski.

M-1 Global Chief Operating Officer Joost Raimond says a second U.S. Affliction/M-1 Global pay per view would likely take place in April or May of 2009 and would feature Josh Barnett vs. Aleksander Emelianenko.

Raimond feels confident that the junior Emelianenko would be "re-certified" by the California State Athletic Commission.

"There have been medical issues, but the nice thing about medical issues is that they can be resolved," he said.

According to Raimond, the elder Emelianenko is fully healed from his medical issue, a chip fracture to his right thumb sustained against Tim Sylvia at Affliction's "Banned" in July.

Finkelstein and Raimond confirmed that Emelianenko would definitely not be fighting on a Japanese New Year's Eve card. As recently as September, the top-ranked heavyweight told reporters he would honor his informal holiday tradition of fighting in Japan.

"A fight on New Year's Eve in Japan only makes sense if there is a suitable opponent and an organization to put up the event the way it should be," Raimond said. "And in this case, the various components didn't come together."

M-1 fighter Gerard Mousasi is currently under consideration for an unnamed New Year's Eve card in Japan, and is "a very feasible option" to participate on the Anaheim card.

The partnership is bad news for fans that hope to see "The Last Emperor" tussle with Randy Couture in the UFC. The new agreement makes Emelianenko an exclusive client of Affliction and M-1 Global worldwide for the foreseeable future. Previously, Affliction's deal with M-1 Global was exclusive only to the U.S.

Raimond says his company's contact with the UFC remains cordial, but the possibility of either organization lending their stars to a neutral platform is bleak.

"The fact of the matter is that a loan-out is something that the UFC would not desire, they would never go for such a deal," he said. "And secondly, the way we have our program set up for the next years, and our event schedules set up, it's just not feasible to have a Fedor fight within the UFC."

Strong speculation has indicated that Couture has a clause in his contract to face Emelianenko on the second fight of his three-fight UFC deal, but Raimond and Finkelstein maintain it will not take place in the Octagon.

"We are aware of what the rumors are on how that contract looks," Raimond said. "If that is true, we will have to work with the UFC to find out how that can take place. But what we can say is that bringing Fedor under contract with the UFC for such a bout, that's something that's not going to happen."

was alves/koscheck at ufc 90 not originally alves/sanchez?

the ufc 90 main event is lacklustre on paper (tho canadian content has me looking forward to it) but the entire card is very solid.

smh.gif
@ the whole mess about Kimbo's bout. Turning MMA into WWE it is...
smh.gif

N
EW YORK -- Affliction has partnered with M-1 Global, which is shopping around a reality TV series called "Fighting Fedor" that will feature a 16-man tournament with the winner eventually getting a shot at Fedor Emelianenko on an Affliction card.

The partnership was officially announced Thursday at Trump Tower, along with some details on the show.

A promo video presented by M-1 Global explained that participants from various countries will travel to St. Petersburg, Russia, where they'll train at the Red Devil camp and compete in the tournament. The video said the show will be on "American TV," though it doesn't have a home yet.

"We're currently having negotiations with many different networks and channels," said M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelchtein through an interpreter.

Finkelchtein said networks are particularly interested because the show will focus on heavyweights. He also noted the international scope of M-1 Global, which through the M-1 Challenge has hosted events this year in Spain, Holland, England, Korea and Japan.

"There are many international fighters that the United States doesn't know about," Finkelchtein said. "Fighters from countries such as Bulgaria, Finland. Fighters that have very interesting and wonderful styles and are very exciting. We're now opening the doors to breed the next generation of MMA fighters."

M-1 Global and Affliction declined to set a timeline for when the show could begin production or air. However, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio did say that Fedor would continue competing in the meantime, with his next match taking place in the "first quarter of 2009." Atencio added that Affliction has extended its contract with the top-ranked heavyweight.

Donald Trump, who is also aligned with Affliction, mentioned the success of his reality show, "The Apprentice," before assessing the potential of the Fedor show.

"I really believe, in its own way, this will be a great success," he said.

Trump will travel to St. Petersburg at some point, though he won't play a significant role. Although he was confident the show would succeed, he jokingly questioned the judgment of the 16 participants.

"I don't know who these folks are that are trying to qualify to get a fight with Fedor," he said. "I wouldn't particularly like to do that. I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather be doing."
laugh.gif
cot damn.Can Randy apply? I hope there's no age limit
laugh.gif

Can Randy apply? I hope there's no age limit
laugh.gif

this fight is going to happen but it wont happen like it should.

right now, both fighters are riding high and they need to promote it as a UFC/Affliction or UFC vs. Affliction card.

i dont think randy is going to make it through both lesnar AND Nog. even worse would be if fedor gets toppled.

i want to see this fight while both are off of a victory, not liddell/silva style ( although that turned out to be one of the best fights ive seen) .

Elite XC will be the downfall of MMA. Dana better keep these Ultimate Fighter fools under control also, Junie should be fed to someone if he wins the 155.

I can't believe Diego got hurt, I'm still doubting Alves would have made weight anyway.

War Spider!

^^^ That guy jbone strikes me as someone who rarely knows what he's talking about. Alves is STILL fighting. And STILL has to make weight to fight a verytough guy.

And stop with all the "downfall of MMA" melodrama. MMA will be fine. The NBA survived the Donaghy controversy. MMA has survived steroid issues. Ashas baseball. Y'all are getting your panties in a bunch for nothing.
Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Kimbo trained the ground. He didn't train striking, but he's a striker ... so we're not taking anything away from Petruzelli."

Bas is a three time King Of Pancrase and a former UFC Heavyweight Champion. His record is 28-4-1. I know he didn't fight at the height of MMA, when many ofyou jumped on the bandwagon, but to call him mediocre is moronic.

And most fighters who are dynamic in one aspect of MMA usually train heavier in other aspects. Kos doesn't train wrestling much anymore etc. You don'teven see Nog roll anymore really. He trains standup. It's not that uncommon. I can see why Kimbo wouldn't train much standup to fight Ken, who waswidely regarded as a submission guy. Kimbo's weakness.

I come in here for a second and I'm quickly reminded why I stopped coming in here. Many thanks all!

Originally Posted by illphillip

^^^ That guy jbone strikes me as someone who rarely knows what he's talking about. Alves is STILL fighting. And STILL has to make weight to fight a very tough guy.

And stop with all the "downfall of MMA" melodrama. MMA will be fine. The NBA survived the Donaghy controversy. MMA has survived steroid issues. As has baseball. Y'all are getting your panties in a bunch for nothing.

Bas is a three time King Of Pancrase and a former UFC Heavyweight Champion. His record is 28-4-1. I know he didn't fight at the height of MMA, when many of you jumped on the bandwagon, but to call him mediocre is moronic.

And most fighters who are dynamic in one aspect of MMA usually train heavier in other aspects. Kos doesn't train wrestling much anymore etc. You don't even see Nog roll anymore really. He trains standup. It's not that uncommon. I can see why Kimbo wouldn't train much standup to fight Ken, who was widely regarded as a submission guy. Kimbo's weakness.

I come in here for a second and I'm quickly reminded why I stopped coming in here. Many thanks all!
come on man, that aint fair comin in and tryin to take pot shots at everyone for being a mma noob or bandwagoner and +%!$. some of us are tryingto have intelligent discussions about the sport. dont sell everyone short cause of what 1 person says.

That being said, to call Bas Rutten a "mediocre fighter" is like saying Sammy Sosa was a "mediocre home run hitter". Was dude the best ofall time? Impossible to say as the game is evolving so rapidly, but guy is a legend, and not a legend for his bar fight defense clips (which are hilarious)but because of what he was able to do in the ring and cage. If he were to step into the ring today at his age and conditioning, I have no doubt that he couldstill tool some of these young buck up and comers. Even his last fight in that terrible terrible WFA event (cant believe I wasted $35 on that thing) he wasdominating. El Guapo gets the respect that he does (or deserves) because of his merits in the ring/cage.

On to this weekends card

Michael Bisping Vs. Chris Leben
Keith Jardine Vs. Brandon Vera
Rameau Sokoudjou Vs. Luiz Cane
Paul Taylor Vs. Chris Lytle
Paul Kelly Vs. Marcus Davis
Dan Hardy Vs. Akihiro Gono
Shane Carwin Vs. Neil Wain
Jess Liaudin Vs. David Bielkheden
Sam Stout Vs. Terry Etim
David Baron Vs. Jim Miller
Per Eklund Vs. Samy Schiavo

thoughts?

Bas was disgusting back in his time
sick.gif
. You can't downgrade him justbecause the sport has evolved.

And in terms of the card this weekend, pretty good free card. Sokoudjou/Cane is something I'm pretty excited for.

Bas is a three time King Of Pancrase and a former UFC Heavyweight Champion. His record is 28-4-1. I know he didn't fight at the height of MMA, when many of you jumped on the bandwagon, but to call him mediocre is moronic.

you assume many jumped on the mma 'bandwagon' when you could have easily done the same and just adopted an arrogant 'i was here first'attitude.

are you some sort of card carrying member or somethng? can i see some mma identification?

ive seen bas fight at least 25 of those fights and he would not be amongst today's elite. on an absolute scale that definitely makes him mediocre.

looking for sam stout to get back in the win coloumn.

i believe the canadian affiliate for ufc programs is airing the card live.

yup for the canadian viewers out there the card is live on all 4 sportsnets right now.

Very solid card.

Notes:

lytle and taylor was easily fight of the night. those two threw down. i thought taylor has some openings to land bigshots and maybe finish it early in the third but he didnt tale them.

sokouju is an athlete but he has no gas tank whatsoever. half through the first round he essentially stopped moving and i knew he was going to get stoppedeventually. i cant even believe his routine response to eating a stiff punch is to put hi hands down entirely, stand straight up, and try to shake it off. theonly thing he should work on for jis next fight is cardio cardio cardio.

jardine and vera put on a a decent show. i had rounds 1 and 3 to jardine. very close fight.

bisping was way too technical, and the outcome was essentially what i expected.

Another card in a week, lots of mma this month.

i had been wondering where rachelle leah went to for a while now so i looked her up.

didnt know she was still on a couple ufc programs.

turns out she'll also be posing for the cover of playboy in the nov 2008 issue
eek.gif

not exactly a subscriber and it's late oct so i dont know if that's out yet.

EDIT: well, turns out the jiu jitsu is not the only thing that is brazilian.

i had been wondering where rachelle leah went to for a while now so i looked her up.

didnt know she was still on a couple ufc programs.

turns out she'll also be posing for the cover of playboy in the nov 2008 issue
eek.gif

not exactly a subscriber and it's late oct so i dont know if that's out yet.

EDIT: well, turns out the jiu jitsu is not the only thing that is brazilian.
the pics are out...but theyre not that great IMO
frown.gif

What did you guys think of the UFC 89 card? Personally it wasn't that bad, it was free. I was shocked with Sokoudjou losing like that. I thought he wouldhave taken Cane out in round 1. Brandon Vera really needs to think over what the hell he's doing, more props to Jardine though. That Jackson camp isinsane, KO'ing Chuck, having GSP as the champ and Jardine winnning last night must feel great over there. Bisping/Leben was a little boring for me.

dude, i honestly can't remember seeing Sokudjou (or anyone from Team Quest Temecula) win a fight in the UFC

the smaller fighters were more exciting.. Kelly, Davis, Lyttle, etc...
Vera looks like he got no pop in his strikes.
Leben is really slow and Bisping runs too much... effective strategy for Bisping... though it just makes for a boring main event.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

dude, i honestly can't remember seeing Sokudjou (or anyone from Team Quest Temecula) win a fight in the UFC

the smaller fighters were more exciting.. Kelly, Davis, Lyttle, etc...
Vera looks like he got no pop in his strikes.
Leben is really slow and Bisping runs too much... effective strategy for Bisping... though it just makes for a boring main event.

Back after a month long suspension
grin.gif

Was really dissapointed in this weekends card, but since it was free, I can't complain. This weekend is gonna be
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. My man Spider never lets me down, gonna put a hurtin' onpoor ol' Cote.

Back
Top Bottom