Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Battousai701

yamamoto will be the next to join the dark side

pimp.gif

dude is still injured tho?

RIP Helio Gracie

The pioneer of Gracie Jui Jitsu.

If it was not for that man, we may not have the UFC, or MMA for that matter, around today.

tired.gif

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

I know that's just a speculation. I think Dana would've hinted in his blog if they'll get him (like Alistair). It's a high possibility though.
Did Dana say anything about signing Overeem? I know he fought for Strikeforce awhile back, but dude is so yoked up he looks like hes on the creamand the clear. Will he be able to clear the athletic commission drug tests?

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

RIP Helio Gracie

The pioneer of Gracie Jui Jitsu.

If it was not for that man, we may not have the UFC, or MMA for that matter, around today.

tired.gif

Helio Gracie, the father of Gracie jiu-jitsu, is dead at the age of 95. Gracie passed in his sleep early Thursday in Itaipaiva, Rio de Janeiro, after he had been admitted to a local hospital a few days prior for stomach problems.

"He passed the way he always wanted to -- quick and fast," said an immediate relative, who asked not to be identified. The relative said Gracie's body would be buried on Thursday.

The youngest of Cesalina and Gastao Gracie's eight children, he learned traditional jiu-jitsu by watching his brother, Carlos, teach it, but his small frame made it difficult for him to execute the moves. As a result, he adapted techniques to fit his limited physical ability and gave rise to modern-day Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Gracie was involved in two legendary fights. He lost to Masahiko Kimura -- a man who outweighed him by some 40 pounds -- in 1951 when Carlos threw in the towel after Kimura broke Gracie's arm with the shoulder lock that now bears his name. Four years later, Gracie fought former student Valdemar Santana for nearly four hours before losing.

His impact on the sport of mixed martial arts was profound. His son, Rorion, was credited with developing the concept that became the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and another of his sons, Royce, won the first two UFC tournaments in 1993 and 1994. Two other sons, Rickson and Royler, also competed in MMA.

Gracie is survived by his wife Vera; his sons Rickson, Royler, Rolker, Royce, Relson, Robin and Rorion; his daughters Rerika and Ricci, as well as numerous siblings, nieces, nephews, and grandchildren.

A lil bit of history there...and I always think the Kimura is one of the most painful ways to break your bone
sick.gif
I always cringe whenever someone tries to do it one some fighter.

RIP.

Did Dana say anything about signing Overeem? I know he fought for Strikeforce awhile back, but dude is so yoked up he looks like hes on the cream and the clear. Will he be able to clear the athletic commission drug tests?

If you can check pages back, I posted a v-blog of Dana hinting the signing. He asked him if he's "ready to fight in the UFC".

We'll see if he does fight in the UFC, it's a huge possibility. He can't keep on ducking top 10ers in his career. I'm not commenting about thesteroid allegations until it's been proven.

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

Originally Posted by Battousai701

yamamoto will be the next to join the dark side

pimp.gif

dude is still injured tho?
Currently recovering from injury. I believe there was talk of him being seeded straight into the second round of the Dream featherweight grandprix, so hopefully he's at 100% by then and will actually compete.

alistair-overeem-hammer.jpg

Who doesn't want this dude in the UFC? One of my original favorite fighters from Pride Critical Countdown 2005. Just comin out guillotining dudes leftand right.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

more helio news:

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Helio Gracie Buried in Petropolis[/h1]

3239104684_f4e4554099.jpg

3239104678_46420b2fd7.jpg

(Rolker and Royce Gracie pay their last respects to their father. Photos courtesy of Sherdog.)

Less than 10 hours after he passed away at the Beficência Portuguesa Hospital after contracting pneumonia, Helio Gracie was laid to rest in a modest ceremony in Petropolis, Brazil, witnessed by about 70 relatives, close friends and students. As Sherdog writes:

Sons Royce and Rolker led the procession, a kilometer in length, from the chapel to the tomb where Gracie was buried. At the tomb, Royce asked for a round of applause for his father and placed a black belt over his coffin.

Speaking on behalf of Helio's son Rickson Gracie, who was unable to reach Brazil in time for the funeral, Mario Aielo said:

"Thanks to this man, there are thousands of teachers around the world making a living from jiu-jitsu and thousands of fighters making a living from MMA. Without Helio Gracie, Rorion could not have brought Vale Tudo to the US and MMA would not exist, giving jobs to many fighters, promoters and managers and fun to millions of fans around the world."

But perhaps the most touching tribute came from Helio's granddaughter (Rorion's daughter) Rose, who told Sherdog the following:

"My grandfather was an amazing man. He was like a father to us. He never got out of the Gracie diet, never got out of the lifestyle he told others to live. Nowadays kids don't have the same respect for their parents and grandparents. My grandfather not only had our respect, but he earned it. He would drive far away to come pick us up, and he would honk his horn like a crazy man. We would get in the car, and it was full of fruit and other goods from the Gracie diet. He made breakfast every morning for us and told stories at night.

One time, he said, 'One day I was swimming in shark-infested water. I had to get through them somehow, so I grabbed one shark and put him in an arm lock. I grabbed another and put him in a Mata Leon [rear-naked choke].' I was young, but I believed him."

truly one of many influential people that helped bring mixed martial arts out to the mainstream.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by super roach

I jus put down a buck fiddy on BJ, he gonna do work.

I through down as well. If BJ winn I'm buyin drinks tomorrow night, if not I'm pretty much workin for free monday.

I guess most guys in this card don't care much about getting a pay cut with the 1lb over the limit rule (with the exception of the main bout). Almost ALLare 1lb over. GSP looking like he's about to join a local bodybuilding contest
laugh.gif
BJ's in good shape too.

Gamburyan VS Tavares, it should be one hell of a scrap

Gono clowning
laugh.gif
Fitch is a sport too

Silva VS Machida...I'm rooting for Thiago here

Guida VS Diaz should be a good one too. I hope Clay settles in the fight. He has a tendency to get overly excited and he might get subbed with the quickness ifhe makes a small mistake

I cannot wait.

WE IN VEGAS BABY!!!!! TEAM HAWAII IN THE BUILDING!!!!!!! DAMN WE GOT ALL OUR CORNER SHIRT ON! I wore my84 corner shirt yesterday. But ill wear my 94 today! ITS YOUR TIME BJ GO GET IT!!
c9a25d8e8b35e1b67ab357cb825b7405bea5e3b.pjpg

f86254ce493021077dd33c8b63759929407ad69.pjpg

1692515e2d36b1ed7993fff3ef1edb1b8781f2c.pjpg

8552513e473bf1b67f83d266718de8d54ec9048.bmp

WEENIE.....
2a235310ed21341d1a547d7c3271bd5edc57fb9.pjpg

BJ IN KING KAMEHAMEHA STATUS!!!
f11155e6341471399643a8d2861c6761145615d.gif

HILO WARRIOR!!
36f256de2932210e76e316b375d4bb744575699.pjpg
pimp.gif
Its going to be a great fight.....

MAIN CARD

* Welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. lightweight champ B.J. Penn (for welterweight title)
* Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
* Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
* Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
* Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
* Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
* John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
* Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
* Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

just recieved the text....

phillipe nover will fight at ufc 98 on the card with lesnar vs mir 2
pimp.gif

looks like he'll fight kyle bradley that night

Im actually a fan of both guys but since im hawaiian im going with Bj the Hilo Boy on this one. GSP is a beast though and Its gonna be a heck of a fight.

Oh I like Diaz but I like Guida because he is a relentless monster

Cant Wait

I'm hoping BJ wins. My cousin in Hilo called me and told me the whole family will be watching. I hope I can get off work and find somewhere to watch ittonight.

Originally Posted by 2pacalypsmNOW

WE IN VEGAS BABY!!!!! TEAM HAWAII IN THE BUILDING!!!!!!! DAMN WE GOT ALL OUR CORNER SHIRT ON! I wore my 84 corner shirt yesterday. But ill wear my 94 today! ITS YOUR TIME BJ GO GET IT!!
c9a25d8e8b35e1b67ab357cb825b7405bea5e3b.pjpg

That first pic looks more like Robbie
laugh.gif
dzpfo.jpg

Since when has BJ ever been this fit???

f11155e6341471399643a8d2861c6761145615d.gif

This is the BJ I know in peak physical form

BJ_Penn.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But I ain't choosin favorites, I like em both. Who ever wins I'll be happy as long as it's a good fight.

Back
Top Bottom