Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

big delay for mma in n.y.

The New York State Assembly's 2009 session expired Tuesday at 2 a.m., stranding bill 2009-B, the House version of MMA legislation, in the Ways and Means Committee. It will not be seen by the Governor David Patterson in 2009, dashing any hopes of its passage this year.

The Senate goes into an emergency session on Tuesday by order of Patterson, but it is highly unlikely that the bill for MMA would come up for a vote, as they are dealing with more pressing matters, such as budget issues. Even if the MMA bill did come up for a vote in the Senate, without passage of the House version, MMA legislation would still be dead in the water for passage in 2009.

The news is a blow to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. The promotion had put much effort into getting MMA legislation passed in New York this year with hopes of running an event there in early 2010.

The bill will now have to go back through the process in 2010, and even if it does pass next year, the soonest the UFC, or any other promotion, would be able to hold an event in New York would be late in the year or early 2011.

"Essentially, we just ran out of time," said a representative from the office of Assemblyman Steve Englebright, who sponsored the bill in the House.

The bill will now go back to the Tourism, Arts, and Sports Committee in January 2010.

"If a bill passes on the floor, it would just go back onto the floor calendar next year," continued the representative. "But since this bill didn't make it to the floor yet, it has to automatically go back to the committee of origin, which really kind of stinks."

Senator Joe Griffo, the Senate sponsor of MMA legislation, was unaware of the developments in the house, but said the current leadership dispute would place emphasis on bills that were expiring or had urgent fiscal implications.

"We want to be careful too, because we want to win support for the bill in order to make it successful," said Griffo. "But at this point in time, with all the other things taking place, there are members that may vote in the negative because they don't have enough information, and we don't want that to happen either.

"I feel very frustrated right now."

I'm AMPED for UFC 100
pimp.gif

I'm not really that sold on Lesnar's striking and ground game but if he does get past Mir, I'll be able to see him now
GSP & Alves is gonna be ...just war. Hell on earth
eek.gif
I gotta go withGSP though. Speed and Skill will dominate Strength any time of the day.
I'm going towards Bispings direction as well.
Jon Jones is fighting & Ya'll saw how he Destroyed & Annihalated Bonnar
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
Sick unorthodox moves by that guy. Like I said Dong Hyun Kim and his judo throwsare something special to see.
The Only match on the UFC 100 card that has me
eyes.gif
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
Bonnar vs Coleman. That match up will be like watching a cow go through a slaughterhouse. Feel bad for coleman.
Still I don't know why ufc 101 is better than this. UFC 101 has Thales Leites
indifferent.gif
That automatically kills it for me. I hate him with a passion. SeeYa'll July 11th
glasses.gif
Peace

The only chance that Bisping has of beating Hendo is if it goes to decision and he gets the same braindead judges that scored his fight against Hamill. I hopeHendo smashes his %+%$*!$$* face in and gives him a free wrestling/GnP clinic.

I hope the Akiyama v. Belcher fight makes it to the televised portion of the PPV. Even though he is quite the underdog in Vegas, I like Belcher's chances.I think Akiyama goes the same way as most recent Pride defectors of the past 2 years. That is... tough time acclimating to the cage/no-gi/no-steroids/slightlydifferent rules (ie. crocop, shogun, kang, anyone else?). That soccer kick by Misaki was the beginning of the end for Akiyama's career. Dude has not andprobably will not ever recover from that.

that fight could have easily been called when misaki got dropped a couple minutes before the kick.

his face hitting the mat was actually what made him regain consciousness, dude was OUT. he even took a couple shots after.

ive been wanting misaki to make the leap to the ufc for a while now.

he's a very inconsistent fighter but i think he could make it entertaining against anderson silva

he's got same unorthodox striking and movement like ryo chonnan.

and yes ryo chonnan was definitely winning before the flying scissor heel hook.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

that fight could have easily been called when misaki got dropped a couple minutes before the kick.

his face hitting the mat was actually what made him regain consciousness, dude was OUT. he even took a couple shots after.

he's a very inconsistent fighter but i think he could make it entertaining against anderson silva

laugh.gif
you read my mind

I think akiyama is a dude to watch out for
pimp.gif
hes a beast. strong and withgreat stand up to go with his judo. hes got the aggression.

sexyama
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

laugh.gif
you read my mind

pimp.gif
hes a beast. strong and with great stand up to go with his judo. hes got the aggression.

sexyama
smokin.gif

we'll see, Kang also had those same qualities and look what happened.

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

laugh.gif
you read my mind

pimp.gif
hes a beast. strong and with great stand up to go with his judo. hes got the aggression.

sexyama
smokin.gif

But Kang didn't have the sexy

kang is only still 1-1 in the ufc. he hasnt exactly failed yet.

100 is going to be dope but the headlining bouts for 101 have me more amped.

thales leites just challenged for the middleweight title and now he's back on the undercard at 102.
laugh.gif

across the ocean

dream 10 looks solid.

aoki vs. shaolin should be a grappling spectacle

mighty mo, bash that shady s.o.b.'s face.

welterweight grand prix to be concluded as well.

i got mach.

How can anyone who 'thinks' they know anything about MMA pick Bisbing over Hendo?! I'm not even a Hendo fan or Bisbing hater, it's just anobvious call from the get. He's not gonna out wrestle him, he's not gonna KO him, hell he sure isn't gonna submit him! Like Mojo said, only chancehe has is being GIVEN the fight by the judges.
smh.gif

IDK if you guys heard but Affliction did not re new Arlovskys contract. You think he is coming back to the UFC?

Originally Posted by sNc magic

laugh.gif
you read my mind

pimp.gif

sexyama
smokin.gif

But Kang didn't have the sexy

laugh.gif

i never thought that Kang was all that good to begin with. he had a spark when he was improving. but i guess he couldent keep up the W's.
thats why he got ko'd by aki.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by aZnGTI

speaking of liddell, his age is getting to him

um.....ok?

news travels quick these days
laugh.gif

How can anyone who 'thinks' they know anything about MMA pick Bisbing over Hendo?! I'm not even a Hendo fan or Bisbing hater, it's just an obvious call from the get. He's not gonna out wrestle him, he's not gonna KO him, hell he sure isn't gonna submit him! Like Mojo said, only chance he has is being GIVEN the fight by the judges.
smh.gif

im not sure why you think it will be so one sided.

im not saying he'll win, i havent made my predictions yet

but it seems like you are a little biased against bisping.

he's a talented dude. he's not a ko guy but he's got great cardio that he uses to set a high pace and his striking is more crisp than average.

i could definitely see him legitimately outpointing henderson in a 3 round bout if he works his straights and leg kicks and keeps moving.

especially being as hendo is getting on in age, nobody really mentions it but he's definitely lost at least half a step from his prime.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

How can anyone who 'thinks' they know anything about MMA pick Bisbing over Hendo?! I'm not even a Hendo fan or Bisbing hater, it's just an obvious call from the get. He's not gonna out wrestle him, he's not gonna KO him, hell he sure isn't gonna submit him! Like Mojo said, only chance he has is being GIVEN the fight by the judges.
smh.gif
Oh I'm sorry I can't take what you said seriously. Wheres your "Dan Henderson is the best and Bisping is gonna get KO'd "Avy?
grin.gif
Just stop with the shots your embarassing yourself. Go study foryour GED you failure.

^LOL, someone sounds guilty. I wasn't even referring to you, I was speaking about the public in general. TUF hyped him up beyond belief, his toughest fightto date has been Evans, and he lost that, and it's a known fact he was given the Hamil fight.

As far why I feel so strongly about the fight, I see it going the same way Franklin/Hendo fight went. Franklin has better striking and footwork than Bispingand that wasn't enough to get Rich the W, it won't be enough for him either. It's a pretty pointless fight IMO, even if Bisping does somehow win,he stand an even lesser chance at beating Silva. If Hendo wins, a rematch with Spider ends the same way as the first.

If I'm Joe Silva, I give the winner of Marquardt/Maia first shot at the title, loser fights winner of Bisping/Hendo. 185 is lacking serious contenders,hopefully the Belfort announcement comes to fruition!

but it seems like you are a little biased against bisping.

he's a talented dude. he's not a ko guy but he's got great cardio that he uses to set a high pace and his striking is more crisp than average.

i could definitely see him legitimately outpointing henderson in a 3 round bout if he works his straights and leg kicks and keeps moving.

especially being as hendo is getting on in age, nobody really mentions it but he's definitely lost at least half a step from his prime.

Kinda like his fight against Hammill/Leben, he fought smart but as a fan you gotta think He kind've fights like a "female dog" almost runningaway the whole time. I'm definately biased (I HATE BISPING) and would love to seen him get smashed by anyone.

I'm a fan of Hendo so it will be that much better to watch the greco roman champ get a hold of him, pin him down, and crucify/Salaverry him intounconsciousness(ideal)

jon jones' cardio needs some major work.
Well it doesn't need MAJOR work. He was blowing a lot of energy with his kicks punches take downs suplexes. He just needs to learn how to slowthe pace a little. He just wants to put on a show. Like a young Wanderlei Silva. Dude has massive potential.
pimp.gif
Let's see how Jake Obrien tries to handle him. imo this could be Bones'first k.o. in the UFC.
glasses.gif
Can't wait.

varner confirms he is the biggest b!#$^% in mma.

Three weeks removed from a verbal acceptance of a rematch with Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone, it appears that WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner still may not be physically able to make that fight a reality anytime soon.

Having stated that he suffered a broken hand, a broken foot, and a broken blood vessel in his eye, in their first fight; Varner, who had been on the mend and appeared nearly ready to get back to training, on Wednesday suffered another setback.

"I just got out of the Doc's and (my) hand is still fractured. I'm really upset," he posted on his Twitter account Wednesday afternoon. "I thought I was ready, my hand doesn't even hurt, but the doc pulled the rug out from (under) my feet."

Following WEC 41 in early June, WEC general manager Reed Harris said that with Cerrone's win at the June 7 event, Varner had verbally agreed to a rematch, although it was premature to set a timetable since Varner's injuries had yet to be fully cleared by a doctor.

At the time, the WEC champion had been hopeful of a return to the cage in September.

"September's when I'm looking to get back in there," Varner told MMAWeekly.com just prior to WEC 41. "I'm thinking the WEC will have me headline the card in September, and I'm hoping for that."

Given Wednesday's events, however, it appears that September would now be an unlikely target, and will likely add more fuel to the fire of controversy that has sparked up between Varner and Cerrone since their first meeting.

"I think he's taking a lot away from me saying I don't deserve to fight him, I don't belong in the same ring with him. You're a tough guy behind the computers and the cell phone, so we'll see," Cerrone said after his victory over James Krause at WEC 41, addressing Varner. "Hopefully, Jamie will get out of the intensive care unit and be able to fight."

Just when he will be able to return remains uncertain. Dave Sholler, the WEC's Director of Public Relations, told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday, "We got word this morning that Jamie is still gonna be sidelined with that hand injury. There is no immediate timetable for his return."

There have been rumblings of an interim lightweight title in Varner's absence. Sholler confirmed the possibility, saying, "We have a deep pool of talented fighters at lightweight and it is something we've discussed. Our general manager, Reed Harris, and matchmaker, Sean Shelby, will determine what the best direction is for us to go in regards to that." He added, however, that it is not something that has been determined

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

^LOL, someone sounds guilty. I wasn't even referring to you, I was speaking about the public in general. TUF hyped him up beyond belief, his toughest fight to date has been Evans, and he lost that, and it's a known fact he was given the Hamil fight.

As far why I feel so strongly about the fight, I see it going the same way Franklin/Hendo fight went. Franklin has better striking and footwork than Bisping and that wasn't enough to get Rich the W, it won't be enough for him either. It's a pretty pointless fight IMO, even if Bisping does somehow win, he stand an even lesser chance at beating Silva. If Hendo wins, a rematch with Spider ends the same way as the first.

If I'm Joe Silva, I give the winner of Marquardt/Maia first shot at the title, loser fights winner of Bisping/Hendo. 185 is lacking serious contenders, hopefully the Belfort announcement comes to fruition!

nah i never thought you were talking to me, i was just taking a look at it objectively.

as far as being 'guilty' im not. i honestly hadnt given the fight much thought yet. behind gsp/alves it just doesnt grab my attention that much.

but now that i have, i dont think it's a stretch at all to say bisping has a legit chance.

henderson just hasnt looked impressive in a long time and theres a definite opening for an upset.

as far as the title yushin okami has been putting in work much like frankie edgar.

he's been injured a lot but he's been rolling when he's healthy. anderson wants this fight too.

almost running away the whole time.
more fighters need to take the angle of taking no damage instead of weathering the damage.

lyoto machida is sitting on top of the toughest weightclass in the world.

anderson silva is arguably the best fighter on the planet.

neither of them exactly spend a lot of time just standing in the pocket and throwing.

im as much of a fan of skill based disciplined fighting as i am of brawling .

What do you guys think about Rua taking on Lyoto for the title? I still think Rua isn't ready for a title shot against Lyoto. I think he needs more fightsto get back to the way he was before. He beat Liddell but there was no surprise there
eyes.gif
if he prepares well enough he can put on a good fight. Not the best but good.Lyoto will destroy the Shogun from the coleman and Liddell fight. But who knows, Shogun is a warrior. He's got some time.

Back
Top Bottom