Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

wow.  the only way gomi would win would be a quick ko & he did it.  
people always leave themselves open after throwing a kick.
surprised griffin didn't start off going for takedowns.

the jones - matyushenko fight was a waste.  jones wasn't tested at all.

i hope toney gets past couture. and then, we get to see bones massacre toney.

If not, I think his next fight should be with Bader, T. Silva, or Arona.

I'd like to see Jon Jones fight either Franklin or Forrest next. Either one of those guys would be a good test for him.

I was told today by someone who is good friends with Alan Belcher, that he is being flown back to the States due to loss of vision, which they fear could be a detached retina. Was looking forward to his fight with Maia ALOT

anyone buying this weeks ppv with the sole purpose of watching sonnen lol? if it wasnt for him talking and maybe the roy nelson fight, i wouldnt have cared. Silvas recent activity has gotten me bored

Did anyone catch the UFC 117, Dos Santos's looks like she has an amazing personality
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Excited for this weekend, UFC 117 should be title USA Vs. Brazil. They need national anthems at the beginning and a trophy presentation at the end.

Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva (c) vs. Chael Sonnen(R)
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida
Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson vs. Junior dos Santos

USA is taking this. 4-1.

I am going against everyone and picking Sonnen for the upset. Sonnen with the relentless takedowns and superior cardio to take a decision.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Excited for this weekend, UFC 117 should be title USA Vs. Brazil. They need national anthems at the beginning and a trophy presentation at the end.

USA is taking this. 4-1.

I am going against everyone and picking Sonnen for the upset. Sonnen with the relentless takedowns and superior cardio to take a decision.
been awhile since ive had a chance to peek back in this thread.  I didnt realize they were handing out free drugs to yall cause you definitely smokin crack if you think its goin down 4-1 like that.

As much as I would like to see Sonnen win (just to see how it shakes up the division and especially cause he will shut up a lot of Anderson fanboys) it aint gonna happen.  Sonnen is gonna expend a ton of energy everytime he shoots and gets stuffed.  Even if he does get Silva down (not beyond the realm of believablility), whats he going to do from there?  Sonnen's biggest weakness is his sub-defense.  Even with the "guard being dead" in MMA, Silva is still game enough to pull off something from the bottom, or sweep Sonnen and just start beatin on him from top position.  If Sonnen decides to stand and trade with Silva
laugh.gif
 atleast I will get my PPV money's worth by seeing a highlight reel KO.

As far as the other fights go.

I really really want to see Alves pull this one out, but I wonder if the ring rust is going to get to him.  I kinda wished they threw him a tune up fight to get his ring legs back before goin up against Fitch.  Alves is such an exciting fighter to watch, I wish he could work his way to another title shot.  This fight seems like a virtual coin flip to me, with Fitch getting a slight edge.

dos Anjos has looked pretty good as of late and I think he pulls out this decision victory.  While Clay get a lot of love for his energizer bunny routine, at the end of the day the dude doesn't finish fights and is a middle of the pack fighter at best.

I dont think Hughes is done yet, but his championship caliber days are definitely done.  If Hughes can keep the fight standing I think he might have a slight slight edge.  If Almeida can drag Hughes to the ground RIP.  I smell a revenge victory coming.

Been riding that JDS warwagon for a minute now.  There's still room fellas.  Watch Cigano come in and put a fist sized hole through Big Country's belly.  Its bittersweet cause I like rootin for Nelson, but not when he is fighting my dude.

JdS, Almeida, Fitch is gonna get the Pit Bull again I hate to say, Clay may win if he can keep the pressure on, and...................Spider by first UFC in ring death.

JdS, Almeida, Fitch is gonna get the Pit Bull again I hate to say, Clay may win if he can keep the pressure on, and...................Spider by first UFC in ring death.

^ Mojo not holding back. Wish I was on crack because thats the only way I place those bets.

Sonnen is taking Silva down, we all known that. The question is can he pass guard and posture up? I just want Sonnen to win so he can continue to talk crap about Silva. He just
laugh.gif

You're right about Alves though, he's coming in with a lot of ring rust. But he's improved so much, since their last fight. Pretty much, a coin flip. Going with Alves because he actually will try to finish the fight, unlike Jon Decision. I see Alves setting up leg kicks and using his stand up to set up a KO, Fitch doesn't have the hand/foot speed or strong single leg to counter his stand up.

Switching my pick to dos Anjeos, I got him confused with Thiago Tavares. Caveman is getting subbed in the fight of the night.

Taking Hughes for the upset. Almeida is the more decorated grappler, but Hughes beat him in points at ADCC. Hughes doesn't have to worry about the stand up and just has to neutralize his BJJ. Hughes is a smart fighter and pretty much a BJJ black belt himself. Win the first two rounds, coast in the last one.

Roy Nelson will not stand up with Cigano. He looks for the early takedown and will test Dos Santos ground game. Big Country isn't known for his passing and subs but his top control and 35 lbs weigh advantage, I can see him LnP into a decision. Nelson is a smart fighter and he has a good chin, but Cigano is way too advanced for him like Arvolski was. Early Ko by Dos, or complete ground control by Nelson.

I love Roy and Junior, but a Roy/Lesnar stare down is too epic. Roy with his big belly looking straight at Brock's sword tattoo is just too
laugh.gif

I do expect Junior to win though but in a really competitive fight. At the same time I can see Roy getting in close and taking this fight.

• Champ Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)
  • Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
  • Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
  • Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
  • Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson
Tried not play favorites this time
laugh.gif
. You don't know how hard it was for me not to bold Nelson, Almeida, and Alves.

And CaptainCrown Almeida lost against Hughes at ADCC only because he pulled guard. You get -1 for pulling guard in ADCC. Watch the vid, Hughes made no attempts to pass guard from my memory. Almeida got the -1, and Hughes rode him to a win on points. I wouldn't put any weight into that ADCC match. At the same time, I see old Hughes coming back and riding out a decision win. I want Almeida to beat up Hughes, but Hughes is too smart for that and still has really good top control.

Cap - I'm with you man. I will be rooting for Sonnen to pull off the upset, but I ain't counting on it. Even if he does get Silva down, Sonnen's guard passing is below average. He is not getting past those Spider legs.

In order for Roy to get a takedown, he's going to have to close the distance to do so. Problem is, he's going to eat a heavy uppercut and crumple like a (Costco sized) sack of potatoes for his efforts. IF Nelson can get his paws on JDS and take him down, I am a bit concerned. I actually disagree with you and think that Roy has solid passing skills. Nelson looked like a fat white version of Cobrinha during TUF with his exceptional ground game (granted it was against a buncha scrubs). Who knows, JDS could be the best damn purple belt you've ever seen. Or he could be completely useless off his back. Hopefully we don't have to find out.

LOL...my wife won the #hunt4ufc prize at the UFC Open Workouts at the UFC Gym today. Check Dana's last tweet for proof.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

USA is taking this. 4-1.

I the only fight i agree with you on is Clay taking it. Fitch is going to win a decision, a close one maybe but I feel he will get it to the ground and control Alves. If Nelson has gas in the tank he can pull it off but I predict he will gas and get KOed. I feel Hughes is getting submitted out in the first round, and Sonnen as no chance with Silva. There are 3 ways this fight could go: (1) Sonnen is able to keep Anderson on his back for one round and gets beaten in the second (2) Anderson plays with him for 5 rounds just to piss Dana (3) Anderson gets pissed and gives Sonnen the Leben treatment.

I want to see Junior hit Roy with some bodyshots.  They would be vicious.  
eek.gif
  I'm pulling for Roy though.
Sonnen hasn't finished a fight in 3 years, so the only way he can win is by decision.  Not sure that will happen but hope he at least humbles Silva a bit and messes up his face.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

I love Roy and Junior, but a Roy/Lesnar stare down is too epic. Roy with
his big belly looking straight at Brock's sword tattoo is just too
laugh.gif

I do expect Junior to win though but in a really competitive fight. At
the same time I can see Roy getting in close and taking this fight.

Tried not play favorites this time
laugh.gif
. You don't know how hard it was for me not to bold Nelson, Almeida, and Alves.

And CaptainCrown Almeida lost against Hughes at ADCC only because he pulled guard. You get -1 for pulling guard in ADCC. Watch the vid, Hughes made no attempts to pass guard from my memory. Almeida got the -1, and Hughes rode him to a win on points. I wouldn't put any weight into that ADCC match. At the same time, I see old Hughes coming back and riding out a decision win. I want Almeida to beat up Hughes, but Hughes is too smart for that and still has really good top control.

Thanks, man. I'm watching that again if I can find it. Yeah, but you are right I remember him pulling guard, and my understanding of ADCC rules are minimal. Just click play and watch, and whoever gets hand raised is the winner in mine eyes. But Matt Hughes is a smart fighter who rarely takes chances pretty much why he won. I expect him to do the same like he did with Serra in their fight.

This is probably the most intriguing and difficult event for me to judge in a while , I'll wait for Club's analysis and insight in the following days. Dude is more accurate than a Silva jab.

MAIN CARD
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
  • Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
  • Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown
  • Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
  • Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
  • Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders

Back