Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by chino905

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Anyhow, anyone following TUF this season? Nobody wants to fight Diego
roll.gif
Carraway was pleading to Dana to not give him Diego and eventually got him for the semis
laugh.gif
Guy can't even look at him at the staredown.

Diego reminds me of Aldo when he was sweeping the WEC especially with the uber crisp Muay Thai.
laugh.gif
Diego a straight up beast. TJ Dillashaw is supposed to be the top guy since hes with Team Alpha Male, but Diego made him tap all day during practice
laugh.gif

First of all, we talkin about practice. Second, they're in different weight classes. To me, it also looked like creative editing. Supposedly, those are the two times Diego tapped TJ over the course of the entire six weeks. 
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Caraway pulls out a W over Diego. They play up the whole "Scare-away" thing, but Bryan is a pretty tactical veteran. You never know.

edit: just saw tooeasy's post...saw the same thing.

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

^ i think bj's cardio was a lot better at 155 cause he was working with the Marinovich brothers.
Did Penn give a reason why he's not with them anymore?

dont believe so.  he said that things ended amicably.

I've heard/read different things, but I dont know if there is a 100% concerete reason behind it.  Supposedly the Marinovich's liked to do hardcore S&C workouts starting in the morning and going throughout the day.  This left little time and more importantly energy for BJ and his team to work on technique and strategy in the afternoon.  Also, the Marinovich brothers supposedly run a very authoritarian camp where they play judge/jury/executioner and its either their way or the highway.  Maybe there was some resentment from JD, Parillo, and maybe even BJ himself over not having scheduling/decision making control over how the camps went.  

Sexyama @ 170 lookin kinda unhealthy. i keep thinking he will get ko'd all scrawny like that. dude needs dat muscle.

and war munoz. gnp all day.

Yeah, the Marinovich's seemed pretty hardcore and strict when they showed BJ training.

My picks:

Spoiler [+]
56707.png
They're being updated live. Click at your own risk.
laugh.gif

I'm sure it's been discussed in here, as I first saw this like a week ago, but I can't believe GSP's camp said that they'd have him move down to 155 before he moves up to 185. They should never mention him as one of the top fighters, guy is obviously scared to see anybody at 185. His main thing at 170 is the fact that he's bigger than pretty much everybody that he fights.

Damn the TUF video editing got me tricked
laugh.gif

Also, tonights event is on tape delay so please no spoliers in here!

Originally Posted by daprescription

I'm sure it's been discussed in here, as I first saw this like a week ago, but I can't believe GSP's camp said that they'd have him move down to 155 before he moves up to 185. They should never mention him as one of the top fighters, guy is obviously scared to see anybody at 185. His main thing at 170 is the fact that he's bigger than pretty much everybody that he fights.
155?  Are they serious?  
laugh.gif
  He'd look like an older brother beating down on his little brothers.
There's guys bigger than him at WW, so he doesn't have much of a size advantage as he did years ago.

Nowadays he seems more concerned with not losing and keeping his legacy intact.  He doesn't have the fighting spirit as someone like Dan Henderson.  Dan has no fear, he'll fight anybody from MW to HW.  He doesn't treat moving up a weight class like a 2 year science experiment.  GSP is still one of the best but he's lost me as a fan.  I used to hate Nick but he's become one of my favorite fighters to watch.  Diaz vs Daley was one of the most exciting fights i've seen this year.  

Spoiler [+]
I was really impressed with Munoz tonight. He definately displayed an excellent performance. I know he's a high level wrestler, but it's hard to adapt to MMA if you're so good at one thing. Tonight, Munoz showed alot improvement on his MMA-wrestling. In the second round when Leben was setting up that front choke, Munoz hit that switch to the back. It was a beauty to watch ahahahaha....  

watching the 138 now.

WOW- 1st fight ends in 18 seconds, impressive.

Alvez...nice...but he was in trouble, dude he faced has serious power behind his punches

awww man #%+...why did they stop the fight, after they cleaned the cut and got the blood out of Leben's eye during the break of the round he was fine...thats BS

155?  Are they serious?  
laugh.gif
There's guys bigger than him at WW, so he doesn't have much of a size advantage as he did years ago.

Nowadays he seems more concerned with not losing and keeping his legacy intact.
That about sums it up shogun.  I'm still a fan because of his personality, but he ain't finishing anyone that's for sure.  Doesn't bother me though, because he's still clearly better than anyone he's faced so far and no one has been able to present a serious challenge.  I understand the arguments about the difference between fighting to win and fighting not to lose, and all of the WW's who make that argument would probably lose to GSP.  We'll find out with Diaz, Condit and Ellenberger on the horizon.  At least there are some exciting and worthy opponents left.  MW, FW and BW don't seem very interesting in terms of competitive title fights.

- should never mention him as a top fighter?  Really?  Because he doesn't want to move up to MW right now?  So beating Hughes twice, Penn twice, Koscheck twice, Shields, Fitch, Alves, Trigg, Hardy, and so on, doesn't mean that much because he doesn't want to move up in weight.  Show me another fighter with a win/loss resume as impressive as his that isn't considered one of the best in the world.  Right now, GSP is undoubtedly the best WW in the world, maybe of all time.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

awww man #%+...why did they stop the fight, after they cleaned the cut and got the blood out of Leben's eye during the break of the round he was fine...thats BS
Leben and his corner were the ones who told the doctor and the ref he couldn't see.  They had to stop the fight when they said that.  The cut was on the side of his eye so I don't think the blood would trickle down.  Maybe his eye was blurry since Munoz hit it a few times.  Chris did look sluggish in the fight.  He spent a lot of energy in the 1st round and look exhausted.  He didn't object when it was stopped, he had nothing left in the tank.
DeezyVSOP, i'm hoping the guys in BW step it up and get better.  Hopefully Bowles beats Faber and avenges his loss to get the belt again.  Maybe Torres and Yamamoto can get some of their fire back.

I

I was thinking maybe they ran out of tv time?Or Leban gassed out?

Look, I see a lot of talk about GSP's ground game...I've only seen a gogplata in fight once #teamgracie

155?  Are they serious?  
laugh.gif

Nowadays he seems more concerned with not losing and keeping his legacy intact.  He doesn't have the fighting spirit as someone like Dan Henderson.  Dan has no fear, he'll fight anybody from MW to HW.  He doesn't treat moving up a weight class like a 2 year science experiment.  GSP is still one of the best but he's lost me as a fan.  I used to hate Nick but he's become one of my favorite fighters to watch.  Diaz vs Daley was one of the most exciting fights i've seen this year.  
I dont get how dude gets knocked for this
laugh.gif

Cause i know for damn sure he wouldnt get any credit if he lost... If he decided to 'entertain the fans' and got k.o'd folks will call him a fraud, washed up etc.

Renan Barao is a beast
Wouldn't call him a beast yet. His stand up was a bit so-so on the opening minute but got better after that. Pickett was occasionally hitting him.

Those guys in Uniao probably follow a hand book on MT and BJJ. Aldo, Sandro and Barao look like they've been moulded to fight one way though of course Aldo's the best guy to come out of that camp so far. Also didn't know BJ was affiliated with them though how come he never picked up any of the MT stuff they train there.
Nowadays he seems more concerned with not losing and keeping his legacy intact.
I'd usually agree to what you say but damn you screwed up on this one. It's been proven moving down weight doesn't automatically equate to success. He's been getting knocked for fighting safe, but most people overlook the way he neutralizes his opponents strengths on fight night. Unfortunately, he's gotta use wrestling most of the time since that's obviously either his opponent's strength (neutralize it) or weakness (use it to his advantage).

Looking outside the box that's more challenging to someone who's not getting any younger neither. Usually a move up would be a more plausible move. As an MMA fan I'd be thankful for GSP to move a weight class (doesn't matter going up or down)...not like Hughes who sat his **! there for a long time and fought the same way in all of his fights.

Diaz vs Daley was one of the most exciting fights i've seen this year.  
They were fighting recklessly. That's an asinine way of fighting, especially Nick who could've just went with his ground game because Daley obviously suck on the ground. It's always 50/50 fighting this way, why wouldn't you want to have a 90/10 advantage to win the fight rather than flipping a coin? Daley could've very well won that fight as well, but Nick just got lucky.

I know not everyone would agree with me but guys like Wanderlei and Leben only wishes they can catch the other dude to end the fight. I  watch them fight nowadays and they look like zombies.

^
I wasn't trying to say that he would have an easy transition to 185.  He'll probably have a tough time but at least he'll have challenges.  He always talks about his new opponent being his greatest challenge but they don't pose much of a threat.  He's way better than anyone in that division.  He's in a tough spot.  I don't even get excited to watch him fight anymore.  I don't know what happened to the GSP who would knock people down and ground and pound them to death.

I wouldn't call Nick's win lucky.  He's been fighting like that for a while now and keeps on winning.  He stands with people who should murk him standing and his hand still gets raised at the end of the night.  It's not the smartest way to fight but it's made me a fan of his when I used to hate his guts.

Back
Top Bottom