OFFICIAL NBA 2018 NBA Draft & Rookie Thread: NT SL Represent!

Who won Draft night?

• PHX - Deandre & Mikal

• LAL - Wagner & Not Drafting Galo Ball

• PHI - Z. Smith, Shamet & Unprotected MIA 2021

• BOS - Rob Williams

• DAL - Luka & Little Greek

• DEN - MPJ at 16

• SAS - Lonnie Walker

• Adrian Wojnarowski's Vocabulary

• NYK - Knox & Mitchell Robinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
I havent watched Bamba play, but from what I'm reading what makes him different than Noel? Hell even Thabeet. Definitely gonna catch some games, but just curious...

Porzingis is definitely a rim protector. The poor instincts are part of it for me to but there's definitely a chance to improve.

Two of the best centers in the world aren't great rim protectors in kat and joker

Aytons defense is just a bit overblown though valid to point out as his weakness. The thing I like about his potential is that he has quick feet and a quick first jump

I'm not saying he's not a top prospect. :lol: KAT's ceiling is completely changed by him not being able to protect the rim though. It's a glaring weakness.

I'm not saying he's not a top prospect. :lol: KAT's ceiling is completely changed by him not being able to protect the rim though. It's a glaring weakness.
Just seems like you're making a big deal of ayton not being worthy of the top pick while the other top prospects also have question marks

At the same time I'm just saying two of the games premiere centers cannot protect the rim so holding this against ayton seems odd. Kat as bad as his defense is is still one of the best bigs in the game. If you put joker or kat in this draft I wouldn't be mad if either were discusssed as going first

In a pace and space league, I personally would have difficulty drafting him #1 overall given how I feel about other prospects. It's not about KAT or Jokic, more about other prospects like Doncic being better prospects in my opinion. In a draft with different guys I'm not saying I wouldn't take him first.

Pointing out his defensive limitation isn't weird in my opinion because it'll be the same limitations that those guys have when compared with ceilings of other bigs. Doesn't mean that they aren't great talents or can't be elite players in their own right.

Just watched Trae Young highlight video. Kid can flat out ball. Kinda rough that he’s a bit small and not that strong/wiry quick. He’s more Seth Curry than Steph. NBA defense is hard enoguh for Steph who’s the more athletic, faster, taller, stronger, quicker reaction version of this kid. He’ll be a great offensive threat and hopefully can hide on defense a bit. Poor mans Curry isn’t a bad thing.

I havent watched Bamba play, but from what I'm reading what makes him different than Noel? Hell even Thabeet. Definitely gonna catch some games, but just curious...
Wingspan and standing reach is a foot longer than Noel. His measurables are truly freakish.

He's a FAR more fluid athlete than Thabeet. Like not even close.

He has decent mechanics on his jumper for someone his size and he isn't afraid to take 3s and jumpers. They just aren't really falling at the moment.

He could potentially be an elite rim runner with pick and pop skills as well as the best rim protector in the league.

So at worst you take ayton where?
Probably 4th at worst, but that Likely depends on the need of the team and what you think of the two wing guys. He's a freaky athlete and has so many tools offensively that it'll be hard to see him even fall that low.

This reminds me of 2005 when CP3 and Dwill were drafted. You had Nash winning MVPs and the PG position pool was hella strong. Now it's with the big man position.

I'm not sold on Trae as some of you here. Not a fan of this Curry comparison at all either. He hasn't faced real length yet, he's already not that great of a finisher as is. I need to see what he does when his shot isnt falling, so far it has been though. Defensively he's not guarding anyone in the league.

I was thinking something along the lines of Jameer Nelson or JJ Barea, I like the Damon Stoudemire comparison though.

Ayton to me is head and shoulders the best prospect in this draft.

The thing is it's so hard to give Curry comparisons, Curry had JJ Redick comparisons and Redick even exceeded his own ceiling. Damon Stodemire was before my time but that's interesting.

I think the team he gets drafted at will make a huge difference in his development.

Bamba is already better offensively than what Thabeet ever was. Just the fact that lobs are in the game plan is something Thabeet didn't do.

Reading the draftexpress comparisons I think Noel is closer to a prospect than Thabeet. I also remember reading reports about Thabeet not really caring about practicing at all.

Thabeet Draftexpress
Noel Draftexpress

That being said, I can see the bust potential, but his upside is too good not to take him 5 or 6 at most.

A final note is that for the Sixers, if we can't get Porter, I wouldn't be mad if the Celtics get the pick and we get the Kings pick next year. outside of Porter, I don't see not being an awkward fit for the Team. We need sharp shooting wings and this year's lottery doesn't offer much in that regard.

When we mention Bamba as having bust potential, what exactly are we saying? Are we saying that he could be out of the league in a few years? That he can't be a rotational player for a good team? That he can't be a starter? That he won't be an all-star?

I can't really see a world in which he isn't a rotational player for a good team at worst. With so many offenses running 4 out, he should at least be able to rim run for you and protect the paint. Personality wise, he reminds me a lot of Jaylen Brown, who I thought had a very low bball IQ, but is actually a very smart kid and hard worker. His jump from year 1 to year 2 has been evident, and it just looks more like hard work to me than anything else.

If Bamba is that kind of kid, with those measurables, he is going to be a successful NBA player.

That's a good question, there is a Hasheem, Olowokandi, Darko type of Bust and then you have a Noel (also considered #1 before his injury) who did not Nearly reach his potential but is still a productive NBA player. I see him more of the latter just by his size, length and mobility. He is raw, but you do notice him working on his game and trying to develop somewhat of a jump shot.

Seems like most of the reason Noel is a bust is due to his work ethic and lack of passion for the game. By all accounts he's a guy who's in and out of the gym, without putting in any extra work.

Seems like most of the reason Noel is a bust is due to his work ethic and lack of passion for the game. By all accounts he's a guy who's in and out of the gym, without putting in any extra work.
Yeah...Bamba seems to be the opposite of that. And has a foot longer wingspan.

I am not saying that he will be a bust, I am just saying that he is not Bust proof and I'd consider him being a backup Center a bust given his potential.

Noel's rookie year, he was actually phenomenal defensively, when he was on the court, the Sixers ranked #10 on defence and then drop to the late 20s when he was out. So yeah, his work ethic, attitude and entourage really hurt him and continues to hurt him. I still think he can get it together as he is still pretty young.

Back
Top Bottom