**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

Chris Paul HAS to be MVP. He's on a team that wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs, and didn't make any significant trade to better their roster....and this team MIGHT FINISH FIRST??? Like somebody else said, if they finish with a top 3 seed, it has to be Paul.
But wait, the Lakers weren't supposed to make the playoffs either and they might finish 1st as well.
Nobody had the Lakers finishing higher than a 7/8 seed. The majority had LA not even making the playoffs.
Don't give me that BS that the Lakers traded for Pau, the Lakers got to 1st place in the West before Bynum was hurt, so that arguement is null and void.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

2 things
1. Steve Nash had Stat and Matrix on his team, 2 all star players. Did it count against him? No, he won the award twice. I don't understand this arguement at all. Hell MJ had a top 50 player of all-time on his team and that didn't stop him from getting the award
2. Most if not all people had the Lakers being 7/8 seed at best, with the majority saying they would miss the playoffs.

Just throwing that out there

nobody expected the Suns to be that good when they got Nashty. He upped his assists by 3 and Suns were the top team in the West if I'm not mistaken.Sounds eerily similar to the Lakers I'll give you that. Marion & Amare weren't allstars before Nashty and again, I'm not saying Pau is betterthan those two.

Hornets were predicted to miss the playoffs and their biggest acquisitions were Morris Peterson & Birdman
laugh.gif
coming back from suspension.

I just think the way sports writers wrote LeBron & the Cavs off after that awful Finals appearance may be incentive to vote for him. Granted they wereexpected to comeback with that swag being as they were the Eastern Conference champs. And Kobe isn't exactly the media's darling like LeBron, right?

That is all what I think

But you guys are probably write because I don't take in account the tendencies of the sports writers to vote for the player that has his team playing thebest ball with a top record in the league. And that is why Chris Paul will win

Thursday, March 20, 2008
[h2]The Truth: Paul Pierce is Real NBA MVP[/h2]
Leave a Comment
Send to Friend
Print This Story

By Sean Crowe

The race for NBA MVP is as wide open as the Western Conference right now.

From what I've been hearing, the choices seem to have been narrowed down to Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, and LeBron James.

All of them are fantastic choices. There are clear, legitimate arguments for each of them.

I'm a huge NBA fan. I'm an admirer of guys who play a complete game. All of the guys who have been mentioned in the MVP race fall into that category.

You have Kobe Bryant, who is an underrated one-on-one defender and an the most dominating offensive force in the NBA. The easy choice for MVP this season, he's led the surprising Lakers up to or near the top of the Western Conference (depending on what happens between now and when this is published on Thursday).

Chris Paul is playing out of his mind. He makes his teammates better, can score at will, and might be playing at a higher level than anyone else in the Western Conference. An insane season for a guy who stands at only six-feet tall.

LeBron James is the best player in the NBA. He's averaging 31-8-7 for the season, which is just stupid. He's completely unstoppable. The Cavs would be a lottery team without him - but with him, they're in the Eastern Conference championship conversation. He's scary good, and might be good enough to win an Eastern Conference championship again on his own.

All are great choices and would be worthy MVPs.

But to me, the real MVP is playing for the NBA-leading Boston Celtics.

No, not Kevin Garnett. The Truth, Paul Pierce, is my NBA MVP.

What Paul Pierce is doing this season is going almost completely unnoticed due to the additions of Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.

It's amazing the transformation as a player he made this year.

Pierce has always been a good scorer. He's never been afraid to take big shots. But he's never been a complete player.

At times in his career, he's been a black hole. He'd get the ball, the Celtics would run some type of isolation play, and then he'd fire up a bad fall-away jumper. He'd do this enough times that he'd score 25 points a game, but his percentage would be down around 30% and the Celtics would lose.

At times in his career, he's been a defensive liability. He's always had the ability, he just never seemed to want to play defense.

In a way, you can understand it.

The Celtics couldn't win unless he put up 40 on the offensive end. That type of offensive output takes a lot out of a guy, especially when he's consistently triple teamed. He had no energy left to waste on the defensive side of the ball.

He's fought maturity problems in the past. I, for one, will never forget the needless ejection against the Pacers in the playoffs just a few short years ago. He followed that up with a pathetic Game 7 performance in what was probably the low point of his career.

But something happened to Paul Pierce this season, and it's not just the addition of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.

All of a sudden, Pierce is the best player on the floor when he needs to be. He's making great decisions. He's turned into a great passer. He's transformed himself into a great free throw shooter.

Garnett is the emotional leader on the Celtics, but Pierce is the captain.

When Ray Allen is out of the lineup, Pierce is there stepping up his offensive output.

When Kevin Garnett is out of the lineup, Pierce is there stepping up his defense. The entire time Garnett was out they ran their offense through Paul Pierce. He kept the team afloat during extended absences of the other two thirds of the big three.

He's the one guy the Boston Celtics can't play without. He's the best man-to-man defender on the team when they need him to be. He's the best scorer on the team when they need him to be. He's a point-forward, a shooting guard, and a small forward depending on the matchup. He gives them whatever they need to win on any given night. He's not putting up LeBron numbers, but 20-5-5 isn't too shabby.

He's the MVP of the best team in the NBA. Just ask any of the Celtics players. They'll tell you.

"I got Paul for MVP this year," Kevin Garnett told the Boston Globe. "He does a lot of things, just little small things that people don't see. There are only three people I like to watch on offense, and he's one of them, man. He makes scoring look easy. He has an uncanny confidence about him that I love, cockiness and self-assurance. I told you, there is a reason why I came here. He's one of the reasons."

Garnett's right. If I had a vote for NBA MVP, it would go to Paul Pierce.

And that's the Truth.

Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but he deserves to be in the discussion.

The thing with Kobe is, yes, he's had a good individual season. A great team season. But, Lebron has had a even better individual season than Kobe, butan average/above average team season.

So, what are we talking about?

The Lakers bring back the same team they had last year, pretty much this year. Why is this Lakers team so much better. What's changed? What'schanged is you have guys like D-Fish stepping it up. A Jordan Farmar emerging. A Bynum emerging. Sasha actually balling. How much is the Lakers successattributed to Kobe, as opposed to their young guys coming along faster than expected?

That's why I wouldn't give to Kobe. It's not like he carried his team on his back this year to the top of the West.

True that the Lakers weren't projected to finish at the top of the West, but look who's right along there with them. The Hornets, who nobody evenreally talked playoffs with that team before the season started.

And the Hornets success is pretty much all CP3. You can say he has guys like West, Chandler and Peja, but those guys basically get their points from CP3. It's no mistake that CP3/Chandler leads the league in like alley-oop dunks. I think Hedo/Dwight is a dissssssstant second. Chandler gets his pointsbecause CP3 is a beast on the pick and roll. Also, this season, Peja is going to shoot and make like the second most 3PT'ers in his career. It'sbecause CP3 breaks down defenses and gives him open looks. CP3 dominates from the most important position on the floor. As a result, his team is incontention to to be atop the West.

With all that said, it goes, IMO, if you wanna talk about individual + team numbers

1. CP3
2. Kobe
3. Lebron

Or if you want to talk more individual numbers, and less team stuff

1. Lebron
2. CP3
3. Kobe

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

Marion & Amare weren't allstars before Nashty and again, I'm not saying Pau is better than those two.

umm, NO. Dont you remember?? he guarded MJ in MJ's last allstar game..
and to get back on topic
Kobe should be the MVP
if LeBron gets atleast 2nd Place, I will disregard the award. (smh, i should have already after Nash won 2.)

What CP3 is doing this year > Nash's 2 MVP years

The media LOVED Nash though

But wait, the Lakers weren't supposed to make the playoffs either and they might finish 1st as well.
Nobody had the Lakers finishing higher than a 7/8 seed. The majority had LA not even making the playoffs.
Don't give me that BS that the Lakers traded for Pau, the Lakers got to 1st place in the West before Bynum was hurt, so that arguement is null and void.

See, this is why Lakers' fans are labeled idiots. So why not give T-Mac the MVP because they Rockets got into first AFTER Yao got hurt, right?

In the CP34MVP thread I said that I thought LeBron was 4th completely forgetting about Dwight, so I'd say LeBron is 5th simply due to their record.

The NBA has NEVER awarded an MVP to a team that is nowhere close to an elite team.
The 75-76 Lakers had a losing record when Kareem won. The 87-88 Bulls were tied for the 7th best record in the league. Not a bad record, but notexactly elite considering it was in a time when there were only 23 teams in the league. And still MJ won it. And it's not like there weren't othercandidates. Larry Bird led his team to the second best record in the league and the best record in his conference while averaging 29.9 points (his career-highscoring average, actually), 9.3 rpg and 6.1 apg.

As much as I would like to say Bron, I can't. I will make the argument that the Kobe is not the only reason the Lakers are where they are in the West.Andrew Bynum was huge before he got injured, not many people were expecting him to have the year he has had. If he didn't put up the numbers he did wherewould the Lakers be?

As for KG, I just can't do that either. I've seen the Celtics play about 10 games this year(2 w/o KG) and sure he has brought some emotion to that teambut other than that he hasn't wowed me, and it hurts him being in the East, regardless of the Celts record.

So my vote is for Chris Paul. Not only for his 11.3 APG but he could very well be top 3 in the Defensive Player of the Year voting too. 2.73 SPG while notbeing an overly athletic player. He plays smart, shoots the ball well(36th in the league in FG%), can rebound, and plays the game the right way. Chris Paul ismy MVP.

Some of you guys are just dumb. Seriously, do you not remember the hornets got really hot towards the end of the year last year? Dudes actin like they werestraight bums....and to the dude who said the Cavs weren't predicted to do better this year
indifferent.gif
EVERYONE had them finishing top 3 and pretty much everyone thought thatthey would improve their record....neither of which has happened. Also the Pau argument is beyond flawed being that he's only played for them less thanhalf a season...and they were first in the west BEFORE he came. Kobe's teammates improving has nothing to do with him but if it's Bron or CP3 thenit's all them? Make sense? Didn't think so. Like said before it's a two man race. Kobe or CP3 and the winner will be based upon the teams record.

--As a Laker fan, I dont want Kobe to get it. I want him to get snubbed. Once again. So he'll have fuel in the playoffs. To tear a new one into every teamthat faces his Lakers. Again, thats just my opinion.

1.Chris Paul
2.Bron
3.Kobe

franchise3 wrote:
The thing with Kobe is, yes, he's had a good individual season. A great team season. But, Lebron has had a even better individual season than Kobe, but an average/above average team season.

So, what are we talking about?

The Lakers bring back the same team they had last year, pretty much this year. Why is this Lakers team so much better. What's changed? What's changed is you have guys like D-Fish stepping it up. A Jordan Farmar emerging. A Bynum emerging. Sasha actually balling. How much is the Lakers success attributed to Kobe, as opposed to their young guys coming along faster than expected?

That's why I wouldn't give to Kobe. It's not like he carried his team on his back this year to the top of the West.

Here's the thing, and take this from a Laker fan. For the last couple years while Kobe was putting up stupid numbers at the rest of the NBA'sexpense, carrying a team of young scrubs to the playoffs with Kwame, and Smush and Luke AS STARTERS, all we ever heard, and frankly got tired of hearing, was"oooh, look how Nash makes his teammates better." He had Matrix, Stat (one year) Barbosa, Bell, Kurt Thomas, all good NBA players. Yes theystepped up their numbers in the run and gun, but they were NBA type players.

Now when Farmar, and Sasha, and Turiaf, and Bynum start to grow, you gonna use the same "making your teammates better" argument against Kobe? Now,they've just developed while the guys that Nash had were already established NBA players BEFORE Nash ever got there? That makes no sense.

This year, this season, Kobe has carried a team with real bad luck. Bynum and Ariza get hurt, Gasol comes in to give them a lift, and Kobe tears a ligamentbut keeps playing. Then Pau gets hurt too. Still #1. Eventually Pau and Bynum will be back, but the constant every night, day in, day out, was Kobe. WITH ATORN FINGER ON HIS SHOOTING HAND. The other night Chris Wilcox sat out the rest of the game vs the Suns with a SPRAINED pinkie. Sat out, done. Kobehasn't stopped at all and his finger is torn to shreds. But we don't even talk about it anymore. Hell, watching the games, I forget he screwed it up.

Chuck was right, today, it's between two guys, Kobe, and Paul.

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

See, this is why Lakers' fans are labeled idiots. So why not give T-Mac the MVP because they Rockets got into first AFTER Yao got hurt, right?

indifferent.gif
People have used the arguement that Pau has helped thatteam so much and without them they wouldn't be close to 1st place at all, so therefore Kobe shouldn't be the MVP.
I wasn't trying to say, "O they reached 1st so give him the MVP", that would be stupid.
I probably should of worded my statement better, but whatever.

Paul is my MVP as long as they finish in the top 3, i dont care what Kobe and the lakers do

Back
Top Bottom