**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

I don't have the numbers for the other candidates, but after reading this...... Does it even matter?
I think it does. The 87-88 season may be an exception of the MVP pattern, but nevertheless, it is definitely an example where stats prevail overwinning.. And like I said, it's not like there were no other candidates and Jordan was the only one.. Larry Bird had a career-high scoring year with 29.9,9.3 rebounds and 6.1 assists. All this while he led his team to the best record in his conference and the second best record in the league. And remember,Jordan's Bulls were only tied for the 7th best record in the league. And yet they gave the MVP to Jordan.

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

I like how you throw that in there, but fail to mention that in both wins against the Lakers they were either without Bynum or Gasol. Truth of the matter is, the Cavs are not good against teams that arent bad.

Okay, I could mention that the Cavs record was 6-3 instead of 6-2 against the three teams with the top 3 records in the league and include the game againstthe Celtics that the Cavs lost when LeBron was out. But since you wanted to get really technical, get ready to get owned by a cold fact. Take a good look atthe box score and see if it's fits your description of the Cavs wins over the Lakers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AktGl._DHdqYxCIN6_clLgekvLYF?gid=2007122005

I don't have the numbers for the other candidates, but after reading this...... Does it even matter?
I think it does. The 87-88 season may be an exception of the MVP pattern, but nevertheless, it is definitely an example where stats prevail over winning.. And like I said, it's not like there were no other candidates and Jordan was the only one.. Larry Bird had a career-high scoring year with 29.9, 9.3 rebounds and 6.1 assists. All this while he led his team to the best record in his conference and the second best record in the league. And remember, Jordan's Bulls were only tied for the 7th best record in the league. And yet they gave the MVP to Jordan.

How does this example even apply here. It was 20 years ago. The Cavs have the 13th best record in the NBA. Sure, he may be doing close thatwhat Jordan was doing TWENTY years ago, but he still isnt doing anything different than Kobe two years ago and Tmac in 02-03. Two years ago, the Lakers hadthe 9th best record in the league and I would say Kobe's stats were pretty damn close to Lebron reguardless of what you think, and the same thing for Tmac.

LeBron, according to the way the writers have voted on the MVP in past years, does not deserve the MVP award.

Okay, I could mention that the Cavs record was 6-3 instead of 6-2 against the three teams with the top 3 records in the league and include the game against the Celtics that the Cavs lost when LeBron was out. But since you wanted to get really technical, get ready to get owned by a cold fact. Take a good look at the box score and see if it's fits your description of the Cavs wins over the Lakers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AktGl._DHdqYxCIN6_clLgekvLYF?gid=2007122005
there was a reason I said OR and not AND. So im pretty suck I never saw Gasol on that List, so how exactly did you "own" me again. Ithink you just owned youself for not reading.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

I think it does. The 87-88 season may be an exception of the MVP pattern, but nevertheless, it is definitely an example where stats prevail over winning.. And like I said, it's not like there were no other candidates and Jordan was the only one.. Larry Bird had a career-high scoring year with 29.9, 9.3 rebounds and 6.1 assists. All this while he led his team to the best record in his conference and the second best record in the league. And remember, Jordan's Bulls were only tied for the 7th best record in the league. And yet they gave the MVP to Jordan.

I have a question for you personally. Who would you have voted for 2 years ago, when Nash won over Kobe? Did you agree with Nash getting it, or feellike it should have been Kobe?

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

How does this example even apply here. It was 20 years ago. The Cavs have the 13th best record in the NBA. Sure, he may be doing close that what Jordan was doing TWENTY years ago, but he still isnt doing anything different than Kobe two years ago and Tmac in 02-03. Two years ago, the Lakers had the 9th best record in the league and I would say Kobe's stats were pretty damn close to Lebron reguardless of what you think, and the same thing for Tmac.

LeBron, according to the way the writers have voted on the MVP in past years, does not deserve the MVP award.
Well, I mentioned it because ska said that the league "NEVER" gave the MVP to someone from a mediocre team. And I assume that"never" includes 20 years ago..

And sorry, Kobe from two years ago and T-Mac from 03 are NOT doing what LeBron is doing now, individually. Compare their numbers and you'll see. Since theend of the 80s, only three statistical seasons can be compared to LeBron's current one KG's from 04, Shaq's from 00 and Hakeem's from 93.

Originally Posted by pinkjordansrule

Originally Posted by franchise3

The thing with Kobe is, yes, he's had a good individual season. A great team season. But, Lebron has had a even better individual season than Kobe, but an average/above average team season.

So, what are we talking about?

The Lakers bring back the same team they had last year, pretty much this year. Why is this Lakers team so much better. What's changed? What's changed is you have guys like D-Fish stepping it up. A Jordan Farmar emerging. A Bynum emerging. Sasha actually balling. How much is the Lakers success attributed to Kobe, as opposed to their young guys coming along faster than expected?

That's why I wouldn't give to Kobe. It's not like he carried his team on his back this year to the top of the West.

True that the Lakers weren't projected to finish at the top of the West, but look who's right along there with them. The Hornets, who nobody even really talked playoffs with that team before the season started.

And the Hornets success is pretty much all CP3.

sorry but because the man's name is Kobe he cant possibly make his teammates better right? give me a break.

and Paul cant be credited for Chandler, West, and the rest of that team's much improved defense.

i smell hate
laugh.gif

I'm not hating.

Kobe DOES make his players better. But, you look at Bynum, Farmar and The Machine.

Compare them last year to this year.

How much credit does Kobe really deserve compared to those guys actually stepping up their game?

And Chris Paul is a beast on the defensive end. He leads the league in steals, I think.

He makes that offense 'go.'

It's not about 'Where would the Lakers be without Kobe,' becuase if you want to make that arguement, then Lebron trumps Kobe in that regard.

It's not even about, 'Kobe has never won it,' so let's give it to him this year. It's a shame he's never won it, but CP3 is having abetter individual season than Kobe IMO (Lebron > all though) and he has his team right there in the running for the #1 seed.

CP3
Kobe
Lebron

I see people are finally starting to come to their senses a bit, been saying the same thing since January...Paul IS the MVP, but they wont give it to himbecause his star isnt big enough. Kobe is gonna get it, that doesnt mean he doesnt deserve it tho. I dont even understand why he's not getting any kind oflove from the media. I love how ESPN keeps promoting the award as "Kobe vs. LeBron, and also K.G & T-Mac" like Paul doesnt even exists...

The funny part is, CP3 is having a better season now than Nash did both those MVP seasons...MUCH less talent around him, putting up the same numbers, plusbeing an elite defensive point guard on the other side of the ball...he's done more with less than any player we've seen since that A.I year of 2001...

There is honestly no real arguement for LeBron winning the award over what Paul & Kobe have accomplished this year. Obviously with the year he is having,he should be applauded, but he shouldnt get it. LeBron right now is putting up numbers we havent seen in a while, but honestly, so did Kobe a couple yearsback. He put up the most points since Jordan at his highest mark, who also didnt win MVP that year. To say you think he's the best individual season thisyear is one thing, but he's not the MVP...

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

The Defensive Player of the Year Award clinch the MVP for him. You can put all the offensive stats that you want too for Bird or whoeva u want, but 20 YEARSAGO DEFENSE was of IMPORTANCE not just having the BEST RECORD...

Kobe was doing what lebron is doing this season 2 years ago and plus more IMO

I seriously don't even know how lebron is even mentioned in the MVP talk...damn popularity contest

And sorry, Kobe from two years ago and T-Mac from 03 are NOT doing what LeBron is doing now, individually. Compare their numbers and you'll see. Since the end of the 80s, only three statistical seasons can be compared to LeBron's current one KG's from 04, Shaq's from 00 and Hakeem's from 93.
roll.gif
so averaging 35.4, 4.5, and 5.3 while your team is the 9thbest team in the NBA and playing better D isnt the same or comparable to 30.9, 7.4, and 8.1 while playing worse D and having your team as the 13th best team inthe NBA?

I seriously dont understand you Lebron Fanatics.

My vote goes

1.cp3
2. kobe
3. kg

Why wouldnt cp3 get it??..I mean whats the difference between what he's doing this year and what nash did the 2 years he won?? and cp3 actually plays somedefense...

^ yes it is comparable....

but LeBron's all around stat line this year is better, but not by a lot

the fact is Kobe didn't win MVP the past two years and LBJ won't win it this year... there is more to the MVP criteria than just individual stats....

^ yes it is comparable....

but LeBron's all around stat line this year is better, but not by a lot

the fact is Kobe didn't win MVP the past two years and LBJ won't win it this year... there is more to the MVP criteria than just individual stats....

thank you!
glasses.gif

-As a Laker fan, I dont want Kobe to get it. I want him to get snubbed. Once again. So he'll have fuel in the playoffs. To tear a new one into every team that faces his Lakers. Again, thats just my opinion.
I agree with you. As much as I'd like to see Kobe get the MVP, I would rather trade that MVP for a title. I know he'd go on a tear ifthat happens.

I would lover for lebron to get the mvp but it has to go to kobe, his team right now is # 1 in the west, for being the best player in the league his time isdue now to get that award

but if lebron goes crazy in the remaining 13 games don't be surprised if bron gets it.

Either way I don't care about this award.

If its kobe or CP3 then nobody should really be upset. Even KG.

But I just don't see how bron should get it this year. There is no hate towards him at all I just feel the CP3, Kobe and KG deserve it more this year IMO.

KG shouldnt even be mentioned.

1. He is not dominating statistically

2. He has 2x the help LeBron has, which in turn, creates more wins.

Cavs without LeBron or Celts without KG....

I'll take Ray Allen and Paul Pierce over Ilgauskas & Ben Wallace.

Originally Posted by J0E HUSTLE

You cannot cannot cannot cannot cannot use the arguement that one player has more help or a better team than another for MVP.
You simply can't.

We'll use NTs favorite player MJ as an example.
Now we all know MJ was the best player in the NBA during his time in the L(if you want to argue that do it in a different thread)

MJ had Scottie freakin Pippen on his team,
A top 50 all time NBA player.
(This is honestly so overlooked, the year MJ wa retired, Scottie almost took the Bulls to the finals.
One could argue Pippen as one of the most under-rated players in recent history, but that's for another thread)

Dennis Rodman, argueably the greatest rebounder ever.

Tony Kukoc, Steve Kerr, etc.
Quite possibly the greatest supporting cast ever.

No one would ever say MJ shouldn't get the chip because he has too much help.

Mark Stein-Weekend Dime

You can argue that I've slighted him again by not leading off our weekly West review with Chris Paul, but who knows? Maybe that's a good thing for the Hornets and their fans. Maybethat's one of the factors fueling their priceless point guard.

Here's what we know for sure: Paul is simply refusing to allow know-it-alls like me to get away with suggestions that the MVP race is strictly aKobe-versus-LeBron sprint. The Hornets entered the weekend with a 7-3 record in March, even though David West missed five of those games.

And here's what Paul thinks of our recent columnthat ranked New Orleans' schedule over the final 20-+!@ games of the season as the hardest schedule for any of the West's top nine teams: Paul isaveraging 25.3 points, 13.2 assists and 2.8 steals this month while shooting (no misprint) 59.9 percent from the floor and 48.4 percent on 3-pointers.

Not sick enough for you? Paul awoke Friday having already recorded nine games this season with at least 20 pointsand 15 assists.

The rest of this league has accounted for eight such games. Combined.

And now he's even filling up a building the skeptics said couldn't be filled, which certainly can't hurt Paul's MVP argument. TheCeltics' arrival Saturday -- and let me repeat, as an aside, that Kevin Garnettstill has to figure in high in the balloting given how ruthless Boston continues to be -- will mark the Hornets' eighth sellout in their past 13 games.

It makes sense, then, that the Hornets have launched their own Web site -- CP3MVP.com -- to help keep their guy's name at the forefront of the MVPdiscourse.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Originally Posted by J0E HUSTLE

You cannot cannot cannot cannot cannot use the arguement that one player has more help or a better team than another for MVP.
You simply can't.

We'll use NTs favorite player MJ as an example.
Now we all know MJ was the best player in the NBA during his time in the L(if you want to argue that do it in a different thread)

MJ had Scottie freakin Pippen on his team,
A top 50 all time NBA player.
(This is honestly so overlooked, the year MJ wa retired, Scottie almost took the Bulls to the finals.
One could argue Pippen as one of the most under-rated players in recent history, but that's for another thread)

Dennis Rodman, argueably the greatest rebounder ever.

Tony Kukoc, Steve Kerr, etc.
Quite possibly the greatest supporting cast ever.

No one would ever say MJ shouldn't get the chip because he has too much help.
But MJ's numbers continued to be incredible offensively and defensively.

I don't see it from KG. And when people use the "best player on the best team argument", to me it seems like a flawed award.

Too many different interpretations on what the MVP is. Best player in the league? Sure isn't KG. Best player on the best team? Isn't Kobe or LeBron.

What the heck is the MVP??

Back
Top Bottom