Official NBA OFF-SEASON Thread - 2011: Free Agency Dec. 9th

The owners are looking out for the fans only because without the fans they make no money.

They majority of the owners don't care about the product or our satisfaction, it's whatever makes them the most money, they're running a business.

The owners are looking out for the fans only because without the fans they make no money.

They majority of the owners don't care about the product or our satisfaction, it's whatever makes them the most money, they're running a business.

Prevent other players from doing what? LeBron didn't commit a white-collar crime when he made the decision to leave.
In Gilbert's case, he coddled LeBron for years, overpaid just about every player on his team (did Daniel Gibson write his deal himself?), showed no roster savvy whatsoever (his front office was really the Bizarro Sam Presti), crippled his own cap season after season, then flipped out when LeBron finally said, "I gotta get out of here, I need to play with better players"… and now he blames "the system" for what happened because there are apparently no mirrors in his house.
All of that is true.

Prevent other players from doing what? LeBron didn't commit a white-collar crime when he made the decision to leave.
In Gilbert's case, he coddled LeBron for years, overpaid just about every player on his team (did Daniel Gibson write his deal himself?), showed no roster savvy whatsoever (his front office was really the Bizarro Sam Presti), crippled his own cap season after season, then flipped out when LeBron finally said, "I gotta get out of here, I need to play with better players"… and now he blames "the system" for what happened because there are apparently no mirrors in his house.
All of that is true.

What exactly is so bad about players choosing to play in cities-franchises that have a lot to offer?

What exactly is so bad about players choosing to play in cities-franchises that have a lot to offer?

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Steve Javie Retires.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The owners want a system that will make their team profitable regardless of how poorly the franchises are run. Has very very little to do with them wanting small market teams to be more successful, as it's been proven in the past (and present) that a team can be successful for years in a small market if you have the right people making personnel decisions (DET, OKC, SAS, UTH) the pacers were also looking like a perennial contender before ron artest went into the stands, if you remember they blasted DET in that game, who were the defending champs, and the pacers had won 60 games the year before.

The owners want a system that will make their team profitable regardless of how poorly the franchises are run. Has very very little to do with them wanting small market teams to be more successful, as it's been proven in the past (and present) that a team can be successful for years in a small market if you have the right people making personnel decisions (DET, OKC, SAS, UTH) the pacers were also looking like a perennial contender before ron artest went into the stands, if you remember they blasted DET in that game, who were the defending champs, and the pacers had won 60 games the year before.

Originally Posted by PMatic

There's nothing "bad" about it per se but if that trend continues, the NBA will be inching closer to a European soccer styled league where there are 4-5 powerhouses and the rest are just fighting for nothing. The level of competitiveness obviously diminishes.

There's nothing "bad" about it per se but if that trend continues, the NBA will be inching closer to a European soccer styled league where there are 4-5 powerhouses and the rest are just fighting for nothing. The level of competitiveness obviously diminishes.

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

The league has always been that way, more or less.

I think that's what the NBA is trying to fix however I think some GMs are getting a free pass here. Like steelo mentioned, there are situations where small market teams have flourished. At the end of the day, if your team is competitive, players will stay so if you're an owner and your GM isn't surrounding your star player(s) with talent, you've only got yourself to blame (barring a few exceptions). The owners only care about the profit and not necessarily the product that is being put out on the court unless you have die hard fans as owners à la Marc Cuban which is a great look. Definitely agree with the quote Kevin posted too because there's a lot of truth to that. Cleveland dug themselves in a hole. However, and I can only speculate on this but I think LeBron was going to leave Cleveland unless they won a championship ring in that final season. The writing was basically on the wall.

I think that's what the NBA is trying to fix however I think some GMs are getting a free pass here. Like steelo mentioned, there are situations where small market teams have flourished. At the end of the day, if your team is competitive, players will stay so if you're an owner and your GM isn't surrounding your star player(s) with talent, you've only got yourself to blame (barring a few exceptions). The owners only care about the profit and not necessarily the product that is being put out on the court unless you have die hard fans as owners à la Marc Cuban which is a great look. Definitely agree with the quote Kevin posted too because there's a lot of truth to that. Cleveland dug themselves in a hole. However, and I can only speculate on this but I think LeBron was going to leave Cleveland unless they won a championship ring in that final season. The writing was basically on the wall.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

A hard-cap only makes sense in these times were living in i.e. compromising, inflation, squeezing the life out of anything worth a dollar.

The owners know that if a hard-cap isn't in place, the NBA could see drastic losses in small markets. It's going to basically spread the talent through out the league, making it a better show if for instance; the Lakers play the T-Wolves, or if NY plays the Charlotte, Cleveland plays Chicago, etc. If all of these big named players left these small market teams, and all cornered themselves into cities like NY, LA, etc - what fun is it if you're a season ticket holder and you're only going to enjoy 10-15 games through out the season?

How can you knock a owner like Gilbert? Honestly, think about for a second with no biasism. His franchise took a $250 million loss (based on the value according to some folks) when Lebron left. $250,000,000 loss.

You think he's not going to try and prevent other players doing that to small market teams?

+!%# the players, the owners are looking out for us fans. So we can enjoy a league where talent is spread around; so if you're in NY - going to watch the Sacramento Kings wouldn't be a boring game.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You started Friday night off right I see.  Get the hell on with that owner protectin fans @#$%^&*( 
laugh.gif

And why did Gilbert take a 250 mil hit?  Why? 
nerd.gif
  Tell me why.  Because of the PLAYER.  He makes that money off of the player, THAT'S who the fans pay to see.  I never spent a nickel to watch Jerry Buss sit in a box.  I don't wanna hear, see, or watch a owner do a damn thing, I want to watch the best players in the world do their jobs. 

The NBA still makes that 250 mil, because the fans switch all that money to Miami to follow that player.  (this is in general, not actual money or not, hell maybe the NBA made MORE money with Lebron in Miami instead of Cleveland.)  

The owners are lookin out for themselves dude, nobody else.  Themselves.  Dude made a bad investment, and now he wants to find a way to recoup some of those losses.  Plain, and simple. 

A hard-cap only makes sense in these times were living in i.e. compromising, inflation, squeezing the life out of anything worth a dollar.

The owners know that if a hard-cap isn't in place, the NBA could see drastic losses in small markets. It's going to basically spread the talent through out the league, making it a better show if for instance; the Lakers play the T-Wolves, or if NY plays the Charlotte, Cleveland plays Chicago, etc. If all of these big named players left these small market teams, and all cornered themselves into cities like NY, LA, etc - what fun is it if you're a season ticket holder and you're only going to enjoy 10-15 games through out the season?

How can you knock a owner like Gilbert? Honestly, think about for a second with no biasism. His franchise took a $250 million loss (based on the value according to some folks) when Lebron left. $250,000,000 loss.

You think he's not going to try and prevent other players doing that to small market teams?

+!%# the players, the owners are looking out for us fans. So we can enjoy a league where talent is spread around; so if you're in NY - going to watch the Sacramento Kings wouldn't be a boring game.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You started Friday night off right I see.  Get the hell on with that owner protectin fans @#$%^&*( 
laugh.gif

nerd.gif
  Tell me why.  Because of the PLAYER.  He makes that money off of the player, THAT'S who the fans pay to see.  I never spent a nickel to watch Jerry Buss sit in a box.  I don't wanna hear, see, or watch a owner do a damn thing, I want to watch the best players in the world do their jobs. 

The NBA still makes that 250 mil, because the fans switch all that money to Miami to follow that player.  (this is in general, not actual money or not, hell maybe the NBA made MORE money with Lebron in Miami instead of Cleveland.)  

The owners are lookin out for themselves dude, nobody else.  Themselves.  Dude made a bad investment, and now he wants to find a way to recoup some of those losses.  Plain, and simple. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

nerd.gif

I like it.  Aaaaall of it.

Originally Posted by CP1708

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

nerd.gif

I like it.  Aaaaall of it.

If Dan Gilbert had ownership of the Cavs before 2005... MAYBE then I could sympathize with him.

He saw the cash cow, profited off of it.. then cried when it left.

If Dan Gilbert had ownership of the Cavs before 2005... MAYBE then I could sympathize with him.

He saw the cash cow, profited off of it.. then cried when it left.

people called it from the start. at the end of the day it wouldnt be players VS owners it would become big market owners VS small market owners

people called it from the start. at the end of the day it wouldnt be players VS owners it would become big market owners VS small market owners

Back
Top Bottom