Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

I haven't gotten them yet. But it was a total impulse purchase. I was leaning towards passing on them to begin with until I saw last minute pics from Kith that tipped me over the edge. I immediately regretted it afterwards, though once I saw pics in hand. They're a cool shoe and I love fresh foam but I'd much rather spend the money on their retro line. I'm also still slightly ticked that Kith swooped in with the last minute $20 mark-up. Pretty lame IMO.
Yeah, I agree. I think even the $160 was pushing it for that model. Especially for buyers like me who are in NY and have to pay the 8.75% tax on top of retail and shipping. I like the navy pair so I'll be looking out for a re-seller trying to unload under retail. 

http://needsupply.com/mens/sale/shoes/997-in-beige-grey.html

997 BKR for Size US9 and 11 - US$156 - free shipping above US$100

Repped! Bless you for this! Copped

Hey NB peeps, I've always like the styling of the NB retros but never knew which model to go for. I know New Balance is known for their comfort, does any of that carry over to their retro lines? It doesn't have to be super plush, just wondering if there is a particular model people love. I have always liked the styling of the 996 and 997s. My wife has a couple of 554s and says they aren't the greatest for long wears. 

Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth, I recently got in to New Balance. Personally, our of everything I've tried on, I prefer the 998 the best. The cushion isn't like super squishy, but in general they feel so much better for my feet. Plus you can customize some cool pairs and there are a lot of cool colorways floating around

Today's

Last edited:
got my blue kith 574 today. really cool packaging. unfortunately, i ordered 8. should have stayed with my 7.5...i'm up for a trade, or maybe i'll have to sell em at some point

Damn Moshe, that was fast! And you were telling me hold out you wasted no time lol.
Honestly, there's just too much GR heat coming out and I'd rather reallocate my funds elsewhere. I'm still patiently waiting for a couple of 990v2, 990v4 and 1500  for the low. And now with this Flimby 35 pack coming out I need to be smart about how I spend the $- I mean look at that 1500 with the grey nubuck! And that 991...

I think the Fieg 574s are cool, I'd just rather use the money I spent on 3 decent quality shoes and spend it on 5 great quality pairs instead. I think I've learned my lesson to never buy into hype again... those Kith-filtered pics work magic on idiots like me.

Just a general question, what is the advantage to using nubuck? If they are gonna try and get $180 for a non "Made in USA" pair wouldn't you think they would try to do suede or some kind of leather? Is nubuck better in any way?

Just a general question, what is the advantage to using nubuck? If they are gonna try and get $180 for a non "Made in USA" pair wouldn't you think they would try to do suede or some kind of leather? Is nubuck better in any way?

I always thought it was a durability thing, that nubuck wasn't as prone to scuffing as suede but I could be wrong.

I always thought it was a durability thing, that nubuck wasn't as prone to scuffing as suede but I could be wrong.

I see. Thanks. The early Jordan's are nubuck right? Or just the 5, I think? I thought I read that it was supposed to provide the support without the weight. I just find it curious is all.

There's actually a more obvious drop-off in quality when it comes to high quality suede and leather as opposed to nubuck. At first glance it's hard to tell the difference between the nubuck they use on a miAsia pair and a the nubuck they use on a miUSA/miUK pair (there is a significant difference, though).

Not so with suede and leather. You can tell a huge difference between bootleg leather and suede on the GR made in Vietnam joints compared to the plush pigskin suede and higher-quality/Horween leather that they use on USA/UK pairs. 

And I can't speak to the advantage of using nubuck though I've noticed in general that my nubuck pairs tend to endure more wear and tear than the suede pairs that are a lot more delicate and require a bit more care.

Speaking of suede and nubuck I finally got the RF 574s in. They are cool. But not $180 cool. And one pair came with major QC issues (peeling nubuck, crushed toe box). Pretty disappointed. Lesson learned for sure.

Speaking of suede and nubuck I finally got the RF 574s in. They are cool. But not $180 cool. And one pair came with major QC issues (peeling nubuck, crushed toe box). Pretty disappointed. Lesson learned for sure.

Dang big homie ya got me low key nervous. My pair is at home, I hope I don't regret grabbing the Navy 574s joints instead of these NB1 "Cali Green" inspired joints or a variant similar im cookin up.

Last edited:

​
Dang big homie ya got me low key nervous. My pair is at home, I hope I don't regret grabbing the Navy 574s joints instead of these NB1 "Cali Green" inspired joints or a variant similar im cookin up.

They aren't bad by any means- just not worth the $ in my humble opinion. Having all 3 in hand I will say the navy pair is the nicest in person. The color blocking is on point and the N's all pop beautifully. But if you look up close you can tell that it's not the pigskin nubuck that we're used to on NB's us/uk joints.

Hope you enjoy them, though!

Honestly, there's just too much GR heat coming out and I'd rather reallocate my funds elsewhere. I'm still patiently waiting for a couple of 990v2, 990v4 and 1500  for the low. And now with this Flimby 35 pack coming out I need to be smart about how I spend the $- I mean look at that 1500 with the grey nubuck! And that 991...

I think the Fieg 574s are cool, I'd just rather use the money I spent on 3 decent quality shoes and spend it on 5 great quality pairs instead. I think I've learned my lesson to never buy into hype again... those Kith-filtered pics work magic on idiots like me.
I think I am definitely in for the #flimby35 1500. But not so sure about the 991, for which I actually prefer the color blocking on 991NV. Also still eyeing the 9915yp. Is navy second only to grey for NB? I think so

Just a quick question haven't had nb's since high school was wondering what's the sizing like on 574s tts or what? Also does anyone have any of the 009's? I would really appreciate any feedback you guys could offer on either models as far a fit and comfort. Thanks in advance !

Anyone in for the upcoming 574 sports?
I'm in when they hit discount just to try the Fresh Foam.  I really just want that OG black box to be honest.
Im a lifestyle footwear buyer (for a national retailer) 

I can tell you that they werent made to go on sale (QNTY's very small)

The colors that drop this weekend may be smaller than the Kith units (MAY BE), i know the colors that drop in Aug are small as well (pairs in the market)

I would say New Balance planned these very appropriately, i actually have the black DSM/Kith pair on right now, its crazy to know that they can use Fresh Foam and charge $90 (versions in Aug will be $90/110)

lmk if you guys have any questions around the model -  

Insane price. I don't have any NB in white but this may be the one. Hope I can score one at a similar price
I am going to the out let on Thurs...if the sale is still on they should be $45-$65!! I hope they re-upped my size 8 in some new heat!!

navy is first for me. haha but yeah it goes grey, navy, black in that order. then maybe maroon or forest green. in terms of classic nb colors
There is a lot of great navy NB I am eyeing, 990, 995 among some of them. To me black works really well for the 990v2, even better than grey and navy (but not kbm2)

Back
Top Bottom