Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Thank you Southtown Southtown for your time and effort in making these pieces for us. Love how unique all of these shirts are and how awesome they all came out. The packaging was a nice touch too.

IMG_20200805_210413.jpg

IMG_20200805_210153.jpg

Sooo I’ll admit I just got into NBs during this quarantine, but what’s so exciting about NB1? Pardon my ignorance. I see Nike does by you programs for air maxes and air forces, but this NB1 program sounds something different..

O and what’s this leather talk 😆?

It's essentially the same thing, customizing certain models. The biggest difference between Nike and NB1 is that Nike materials are trash (plastic "leather", "suede" that's actually like felt or some ****) and New Balance materials are actually nice. There's a lot of nice color options where you can make some sick looking shoes that put collabs to shame. Just take a look through the thread for any of V vidiviciun designs and you'll see what I mean.

As for the leather talk...It's about the Joe Fresh Goods 992 that dropped this year. Someone asked him why his shoes were so expensive, and he replied to them explaining why and at the end said "and leather is on it" referring to the small bit of leather used on the tongue. So we basically just say that now any time any bit of leather is on shoe lol. It later turned out that almost his entire design could be copied on NB1 (minus the leather bit) and there was a whole other fiasco about that but I'll leave that for someone else if they want lol.

New Balance’s NB1 puts Nike to shame. There’s a whole wheel of color options; basically any color you want instead of the limited options Nike gives you.
What I don’t understand is UnDS’ing. Every time I get a new pair of shoes they literally go straight to feet. Even if I’m at the mall or something. (Been doing it my whole life) The ONLY exception would be if I was wearing a Nike shirt or something and bought a pair of NB’s. How can y’all just keep a fire pair of kicks just sitting in the box? Sometimes that first wear might even be the only wear because I end up not liking them enough for them to break the rotation. (But most pairs come from the internet now, so...)
Ok under on the very first eyelets actually, then over the rest of the way.

Last edited:
yeh. I’ve always gone under and I never knew going over was a thing
And on that note, do you mirror or invert the “over” lace on your left and right shoe? (I.e. do you want the over laces on each shoe to be parallel with each other or diagonal?) if that makes any sense...

And on that note, do you mirror or invert the “over” lace on your left and right shoe? (I.e. do you want the over laces on each shoe to be parallel with each other or diagonal?) if that makes any sense...

if I’m paying attention I make the outer lace the under lace, like how adidas shoes come. More often than not if I’m doing it it’s the same both sides

just spent the last 10 minutes checking stock photos on sneaker websites, it varies on like every model lol guess it’s whoever sets the pics up

do y’all lace over or under?

Under over here
Always Over

The lace going over is going from the inside to the outside of the shoe
20200805_221145.jpg

New Balance’s NB1 puts Nike to shame. There’s a whole wheel of color options; basically any color you want instead of the limited options Nike gives you.
What I don’t understand is UnDS’ing. Every time I get a new pair of shoes they literally go straight to feet. Even if I’m at the mall or something. (Been doing it my whole life) The ONLY exception would be if I was wearing a Nike shirt or something and bought a pair of NB’s. How can y’all just keep a fire pair of kicks just sitting in the box? Sometimes that first wear might even be the only wear because I end up not liking them enough for them to break the rotation. (But most pairs come from the internet now, so...)
As for UNDS, I've said it before, its a bummer I only have 2 feet. My collection of NB's was already big enough in my wife's eyes before COVID, after adding 38 new pairs of NB's since I just don't have the time or the place to wear them all yet. I am working on it, but at the pace I'm on, if my rotation included every NB in my collection, I would wear each pair twice and some three times in a year,

Welp I missed the only Jjjjound launch here in NZ. I’m sad now. I’ll just get some grey 992, oh wait I CANT.

EDIT: mind you, settling for tan not too long ago when I couldn’t get grey isn’t all bad.

Attachments

• 9A372B14-2778-4970-AC3E-32311F97979A.jpeg
    9A372B14-2778-4970-AC3E-32311F97979A.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

I agree that the quality of NB1 is far superior to NIKEiD/Nike By You, and this is from someone who has ordered maybe over 150 designs from NIKEiD/NBY. However, in defense of Nike’s customization platform, they have a variety of models to customize. With that variety, the options VARY. You won’t see the same colors / materials on every model they have available, which has its pros and cons. I think their marquee AMs have a similar color palette, but they are not exactly the same like NB1.

An analogy, in terms of these customization platforms that comes to mind is McDonald’s vs. In-N-Out. Nike By You is to McDonald’s, as NB1 is to In-N-Out.

For those that don’t live in California, In-N-Out is essentially a burger restaurant that has a limited and simple menu consisting of the basics you’d expect at a burger restaurant; burgers and fries. What sets them a part is the quality that they put into the food that they serve.

Then you have McDonald’s the mega fast food company... McDonald’s has options amongst options with their menu just like Nike with their customization platform. They have a customizable product for practically all the major sports; Lifestyle, running, basketball, football, soccer, etc.

Just like the aforementioned fast food restaurants, NB1 produces the quality, Nike produces the quantity. The difference between the two is quality vs. quantity. Which do you choose?

Last edited:
I agree that the quality of NB1 is far superior to NIKEiD/Nike By You, and this is from someone who has ordered maybe over 150 designs from NIKEiD/NBY. However, in defense of Nike’s customization platform, they have a variety of models to customize. With that variety, the options VARY. You won’t see the same colors / materials on every model they have available, which has its pros and cons. I think their marquee AMs have a similar color palette, but they are not exactly the same like NB1.

An analogy, in terms of these customization platforms that comes to mind is McDonald’s vs. In-N-Out. Nike By You is to McDonald’s, as NB1 is to In-N-Out.

For those that don’t live in California, In-N-Out is essentially a burger restaurant that has a limited and simple menu consisting of the basics you’d expect at a burger restaurant; burgers and fries. What sets them a part is the quality that they put into the food that they serve.

Then you have McDonald’s the mega fast food company... McDonald’s has options amongst options with their menu just like Nike with their customization platform. Lifestyle, running, basketball, football, soccer, etc. They have a customizable product for practically all the major sports. Just like the aforementioned fast food restaurants, NB1 produces the quality, Nike produces the quantity. The difference between the two is quality vs. quantity. Which do you choose?
Still rockin the Free Runs?

Also if it wasn’t for NB1, I would not own any New Balances PERIOD. It was their 30% off NB.com’s entire site promotion that enticed me to give NB a shot. IIRC, it was the winter 2016, when I purchased my first NB1s/NBs. Plus, their reward system (free pairs of NB1s) kept me coming back to purchase more and more! lol

Although, Nike will always be my #1 (we’re on NT after all, right?! lol), New Balance has proven themselves to me as the strongest first runner up!

Last edited:
What I don’t understand is UnDS’ing. Every time I get a new pair of shoes they literally go straight to feet. Even if I’m at the mall or something. (Been doing it my whole life) The ONLY exception would be if I was wearing a Nike shirt or something and bought a pair of NB’s. How can y’all just keep a fire pair of kicks just sitting in the box?

Re: UNDSing

I have so many DS from as far as maybe four years ago. I tend to forget that I have certain pairs, to be honest.

Like I posted in the past... once I purchase a sneaker, I briefly admire it then stock it away and focus on a new target LOL. The cycle just repeats over and over. Now, I’m here with XX amount of shoes to UNDS.

This year, I’ve been doing a better job of UNDSing my sneakers. I’m blessed to be able to wear whatever footwear I choose at work, so I’m working on it! Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom