OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

If we have the #1 pick next year, who do you take. Position doesn't matter since the whole team is bad but there are 3 guys who I think would be worthy of the first pick.

1. Blake Griffin
2. Demar DeRozan
3. BJ Mullens

Honorable Mention: Rubio

I would be really personally tempted to take DeRozan depending on how he does this year. The boy's athleticism is freakish.
Another SF? Na I'm good. Mullens looked soft in the AA game, I think you need to go guard next year. Back courts are imperative to the %%%+%+system that will be ran.

I think we should make a new thread for the upcoming season. I know it would be sick to have 500+ pages, but only because i;m very superstitious lol a newthread would be bette rimo. So new coach+new system = new thread. haha just a suggestion

I don't see us being worst then the Kings, Minny, or the Bobcats (I know Larry Brown is there, but that roster is a mess) so I don't see us getting theNo. 1 pick. If that's the case, for some reason, I would really like to see James Harden in a Knicks uni (if he comes out, and I think he will). Idon't think he's gonna be an elite, great player, but I can see some Brandon Roy in him.

it will be interesting to see what happens now that jeffries is injured. it seems like d'antoni was really high on him.

were worst than all those teams except maybe the kings........thats another thing this bum does get injured

I hope Wilson Chandler really gets good burn this year. I see him being like what Q-Rich was in the phoenix system. Oh andWilson>>>>>>Gallinari. I think he could be a better Vlad Rad in this league.

Who the hell is that kid interviewing the players. He definitely does NOT belong there.

H20 with the joke ab jeffries rockin number 20
laugh.gif

H20 is still that dude.

Changed my opinion, I'd like him on the team.

Class act, someone the younger guys can follow

team is much, more like able this season.

scratch that, the whole orginization.

[h1]Maybe Stephon Marbury, Allan Houston can turn back the clock for Knicks[/h1]
col_hdr_boroff.jpg

ny daily news

I can picture Stephon Marbury driving around defenders, going to thehoop and dishing off to Allan Houston for a wide-open 3-pointer. And theGarden goes crazy.

The problem is, the picture I see takes place circa 2000, when both players were in their prime, and not 2008.

Houston, 37, is trying to make a comeback after sitting out three full seasons. Marbury is trying to make a "comeback," of sorts, after playingjust 24 games last season.

Even though both players are far from their prime years, I would love to see both in Knick uniforms this season. And yes, I realize that I am in theminority. And yes, I realize it likely won't happen.

Houston's attempt to play in the league again is just about unprecedented. He last played in the NBA during the 2004-2005 season, and he waslimited to just 20 games that season. His best NBA season came six years ago. He has had devastating knee injuries the last few years. The odds of him makingthe team, lasting the season and making a contribution are remote.

However, Houston is one of my favorite all-time Knicks, so I wouldlike to see him succeed. He has had some memorable moments as Knick, including one of the most famous shots in franchise history. His rim-rattling,buzzer-beating shot in the decisive Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs nine years ago eliminated Pat Riley and the Heat. Houston's shot saved the job ofJeff Van Gundy (another favorite of mine), and the Knicks went all theway to the Finals before losing to the Spurs.

If Houston fails to make the team, it's not a tragedy. This is not a gamble. There'll be nothing lost. If he makes it, he'll bring some spiceoff the bench and some buzz to the Knicks. He could be instant offense off the bench kind of like Vinny "The Microwave" Johnson was for the Pistons during their title run. Having Houston on the roster would berefreshing, too, considering the Knicks haven't done much housecleaning yet.

And that brings me to Marbury. Amazingly, Stephon is only 31, but he has been around a long time. His best season in the league statistically was eightyears ago, which is a long time ago. His career hit a low point last season, which included the death of his father and embarrassing revelations about himduring the Anucha Browne Sanders sexual harassment caseagainst the Garden.

Keeping and acquiring players with questionable attitudes is nothing new for the Knicks - or sports teams in general. Remember, in a very controversialmove, the Knicks traded for Latrell Sprewell after the guard wassuspended for putting his hands around the neck of coach P.J. Carlesimowhen he was with the Warriors. Many fans were outraged whenthe Knicks made the deal. But then fans cheered Sprewell, who along with Houston, led the Knicks to the Finals in 1999. For a time Sprewell was a fan favoriteat the Garden.

The key to Marbury is whether he can still play. He's apparently in terrific shape, and has done well in camp in his battle with newcomer Chris Duhon for the starting point guard spot. Marbury now has a coach (Mike D'Antoni) who has a reputation to be an offensive genius. He'sin great shape, seems to have a better attitude, and is getting better guidance. I know the Knicks may be trying to trade him, but why not give him anothershot?

The Knicks open the season on Oct. 29 at the Garden against the Heat. I wouldn't mind seeing Houston and Marbury on the floor - even if it is 2008.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

If we have the #1 pick next year, who do you take. Position doesn't matter since the whole team is bad but there are 3 guys who I think would be worthy of the first pick.

1. Blake Griffin
2. Demar DeRozan
3. BJ Mullens

Honorable Mention: Rubio

I would be really personally tempted to take DeRozan depending on how he does this year. The boy's athleticism is freakish.
Mullens looked soft in the AA game
What Mullens were you watching in that game? Son was trying to smash on everyone.

Eddy Curry spent another day at the team hotel (presumably trolling through the entire pay-per-view movie lineup) with his "bacterial infection" and D'Antoni ruled him out for the final two days in Saratoga. That means he'd be a week behind if he returns Monday when the team resumes practice at its Greenburgh, N.Y., training site _ and it could mean he starts the season the same place he spent most of last season under Isiah Thomas, benched.

And because D'Antoni pledges to be far more committed to his rotation than the flighty Thomas, Curry could have a hard time getting off the bench.

"These guys do have a jump on him," the coach said.

Other Thursday observations:

- Quentin Richardson seemed to make, oh, about 1,000 straight threes in one stretch, clearly overjoyed to be back in the system where he led the league in three-point makes with Phoenix, as well as a far higher option than he was in Thomas' pound-it-to-Eddy offense. He could be a significant factor this season, particularly spotting up behind the arc in either corner.

- Conversely, Patrick Ewing Jr. better do a lot of other things well because, in an offense where shooting matters, he's a mason.

With a wide open right-side 15-footer to win a scrimmage, he missed wide left _ and looked like his dog died afterward. He then later airballed a straightaway jumper.

Shooting, of course, has never been his forte and Knicks coaches are impressed with all the little things he can do. But it's not a stretch to say now that they may ultimately face a difficult decision to cut the son of one of their greatest players.

- Allan Houston did not scrimmage Thursday because of what he said was a sore hamstring. It's the second time in three days he shut himself down, a small red flag in his comeback, and this one came on the only one-practice day of the Knicks' week in Saratoga, with almost 24 hours off between practices.

- Mardy Collins, whose sub-$1 million contract might be easy for the Knicks to eat when it comes to reducing the 18-man roster to 15, has been sharp early, at one point Wednesday draining consecutive threes, then feeding Randolph for another.

Conceivably, he could stick behind Duhon and Nate Robinson at the point, assuming Marbury departs, with D'Antoni saying he's seen more out of Robinson (who looks as if he could play the role Leandro Barbosa did in Phoenix) running the show than he expected.

tired.gif

a lot of interesting bits in this vescey article

"Contrary to continuing accounts, not once has Walsh contemplated cutting, paying off or buying out Marbury. Furthermore, not once has James Dolan beenconsulted about the prospects of doing any such thing. "

"Just for the record, the Knicks approached the Grizzlies re Randolph, but negotiations never got nearly as far as reported. According to a Memphissource, coaches and management were intrigued. From a distance, Randolph was viewed as a potential Rasheed Wallace, the catalyst to the Pistons championshipfollowing years of negativity in Portland."

http://www.nypost.com/sev...tephon_131916.htm?&page=1

Back
Top Bottom