OFFICIAL NIKE AIR MAG THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know the money raised is for the foundation, BUT to sell the shoes so high that only certain ppl are able to afford them. I can, but chose not to spend that on a pair of shoes...SMH....i love that shoe but not 3000.00 enough

i know the money raised is for the foundation, BUT to sell the shoes so high that only certain ppl are able to afford them. I can, but chose not to spend that on a pair of shoes...SMH....i love that shoe but not 3000.00 enough

Originally Posted by King Au

Originally Posted by zapatito007

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

its for the parkinson's research foundation, bro.

But I do agree that they should have released this to the masses

yea its for parkinsons but they could of released it n sold them 400 n gave there end of the money lets say 200 a pair to parkinsons, and could of made more money,,,, sucks
the way they did it is way more efficient when you think about it in terms of just raising money.  the shoes go for 20 times their value.  they use less materials, less distributors no riots and they probably end up raising just the same amount of money if not more.
I'm sure they didn't want this shoe to be LESS exclusive if that makes any sense. These are supposed to be one of the most
iconic sneakers in history never to be produced and then suddenly they release it as a GR? I know that's the dream but it will
not happen. exclusivity and the legend of the shoe will most likely wither away.

As much as I hate this move by Nike, this is the only move to make if they wanted to release this, make a ton of money and
at the same time preserve the legacy and the awesomeness of the sneaker...

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by King Au

Originally Posted by zapatito007

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

its for the parkinson's research foundation, bro.

But I do agree that they should have released this to the masses

yea its for parkinsons but they could of released it n sold them 400 n gave there end of the money lets say 200 a pair to parkinsons, and could of made more money,,,, sucks
the way they did it is way more efficient when you think about it in terms of just raising money.  the shoes go for 20 times their value.  they use less materials, less distributors no riots and they probably end up raising just the same amount of money if not more.
I'm sure they didn't want this shoe to be LESS exclusive if that makes any sense. These are supposed to be one of the most
iconic sneakers in history never to be produced and then suddenly they release it as a GR? I know that's the dream but it will
not happen. exclusivity and the legend of the shoe will most likely wither away.

As much as I hate this move by Nike, this is the only move to make if they wanted to release this, make a ton of money and
at the same time preserve the legacy and the awesomeness of the sneaker...

nerd.gif

I just got to thinking, what are production #s like for other limited shoes? or even GRs?

Let's say at the end of day 10, there is $5.5 million in donations. At $450 msrp, and 100% of that going to the Parkinson's fund, you need about 12,250 willing buyers.. Is 12,000 a decent supply #? If Nike took half the $450, even then you would need about 24,500 interested parties... If you lower the price to $275 with 100% given, you would need an even 20,000 pairs sold.

I've never been too keen on production #s or units sold of other shoes and genres so I don't know if 20,000 is feasible at such a high price point...

i don't know if this method we see now is more about raising the most, as it may be about getting rid of the reseller middle man. Anything retailing at $275 to $500 may have resell value in excess of $1500.

Resellers have really screwed the common consumer here, and possibly themselves with their tactics that Nike didn't want to deal with.

I just got to thinking, what are production #s like for other limited shoes? or even GRs?

Let's say at the end of day 10, there is $5.5 million in donations. At $450 msrp, and 100% of that going to the Parkinson's fund, you need about 12,250 willing buyers.. Is 12,000 a decent supply #? If Nike took half the $450, even then you would need about 24,500 interested parties... If you lower the price to $275 with 100% given, you would need an even 20,000 pairs sold.

I've never been too keen on production #s or units sold of other shoes and genres so I don't know if 20,000 is feasible at such a high price point...

i don't know if this method we see now is more about raising the most, as it may be about getting rid of the reseller middle man. Anything retailing at $275 to $500 may have resell value in excess of $1500.

Resellers have really screwed the common consumer here, and possibly themselves with their tactics that Nike didn't want to deal with.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I am just taking a shot in the dark, but while I see your thought process, I think you also need to think about Nike's manufacturing costs. In this instance the 1,500 pairs was probably a number that Nike was comfortable with footing the bill on their own, since their main goal in this instance is helping out the MJF Foundation...not profiting. So I don't think they had a set number in mind in order to make these "limited", they just knew the production #'s wouldn't be that high. Tinker also made mention of not releasing THIS shoe again as not to devalue or commercialize the shoe/event any more than it already has been. They needed to keep any benefit to Nike (monetary mostly) to a minimum as to enhance the charity portion of this release. And keep in mind as well that each auction starts off at $.99...I don't think Nike set up any kind of MSRP/price point for this as the charity benefit was the first thought for them, not putting any emphasis on what it cost to produce the shoes or anything of the like. Since, as you stated, there is no middle man, so there is no real way to recoup production costs...and everything hits MJF Foundation. Hope this rambling makes sense guys lol...it's 4:33am and I'm trying to get to work!
As for your real question and who decides limited production #'s on other shoes...that's a good one lol...
roll.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I am just taking a shot in the dark, but while I see your thought process, I think you also need to think about Nike's manufacturing costs. In this instance the 1,500 pairs was probably a number that Nike was comfortable with footing the bill on their own, since their main goal in this instance is helping out the MJF Foundation...not profiting. So I don't think they had a set number in mind in order to make these "limited", they just knew the production #'s wouldn't be that high. Tinker also made mention of not releasing THIS shoe again as not to devalue or commercialize the shoe/event any more than it already has been. They needed to keep any benefit to Nike (monetary mostly) to a minimum as to enhance the charity portion of this release. And keep in mind as well that each auction starts off at $.99...I don't think Nike set up any kind of MSRP/price point for this as the charity benefit was the first thought for them, not putting any emphasis on what it cost to produce the shoes or anything of the like. Since, as you stated, there is no middle man, so there is no real way to recoup production costs...and everything hits MJF Foundation. Hope this rambling makes sense guys lol...it's 4:33am and I'm trying to get to work!
As for your real question and who decides limited production #'s on other shoes...that's a good one lol...
roll.gif

Do you guys think we will see a lot of these being resold? What kind of prices do you think they may go for?

Do you guys think we will see a lot of these being resold? What kind of prices do you think they may go for?

I think the Mags that do get resold will go to some of the international buyers who weren't able to bid on them during the official auction due to restrictions. Aside from international buyers, it's hard for me to see a reseller truly benefitting from these simply because of just how high the going prices are. If they're lucky, I think they may get back about the same as what they paid for during the initial eBay auction. It's a very tight circle of people who even have the money to drop over 2-3k on one pair of shoes, so I don't expect there to be a ton of movement.

I think the Mags that do get resold will go to some of the international buyers who weren't able to bid on them during the official auction due to restrictions. Aside from international buyers, it's hard for me to see a reseller truly benefitting from these simply because of just how high the going prices are. If they're lucky, I think they may get back about the same as what they paid for during the initial eBay auction. It's a very tight circle of people who even have the money to drop over 2-3k on one pair of shoes, so I don't expect there to be a ton of movement.

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

mugen - is it possible to figure out what hour is the best to buy?
Have been bidding the last few days. They seem to all end within 100 to 200 dollars of each other. Best bet just max bid one pair and go with it. Remember it goes to the MJF foundation so a few extra bucks spent goes to a good cause at least.

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

mugen - is it possible to figure out what hour is the best to buy?
Have been bidding the last few days. They seem to all end within 100 to 200 dollars of each other. Best bet just max bid one pair and go with it. Remember it goes to the MJF foundation so a few extra bucks spent goes to a good cause at least.

Yeah, I def see some pairs popping up. It's just bound to happen. But I just don't see anyone buying them.
If I had money to spare, I would've figured out a way to get a pair already. I don't see people buying off of
resellers knowing they could've won an auction for less. IMO of course.

Yeah, I def see some pairs popping up. It's just bound to happen. But I just don't see anyone buying them.
If I had money to spare, I would've figured out a way to get a pair already. I don't see people buying off of
resellers knowing they could've won an auction for less. IMO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom