OFFICIAL NIKE AIR MAG THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all my fellow NT'ers who have been bidding and to the few that have won...I posted pix of these on my FB page and one of my old high school friends (I'm 32) commented asked if I was getting these. Told her that I had already won a pair and was trying to win another pair. She commented back "that's great...my dad has Parkinsons so this means a lot to me...you rock!"
While I know that some of you have expressed having family members with Parkinsons, this made me realize how important foundations like MJF's are and that they can give hope to those with any illness. 

So to all those bidding and those who have been winning, just know that your efforts are appreciated, even by the faceless masses who we may never know.

Thanks guys!  
pimp.gif

happy.gif

To all my fellow NT'ers who have been bidding and to the few that have won...I posted pix of these on my FB page and one of my old high school friends (I'm 32) commented asked if I was getting these. Told her that I had already won a pair and was trying to win another pair. She commented back "that's great...my dad has Parkinsons so this means a lot to me...you rock!"
While I know that some of you have expressed having family members with Parkinsons, this made me realize how important foundations like MJF's are and that they can give hope to those with any illness. 

So to all those bidding and those who have been winning, just know that your efforts are appreciated, even by the faceless masses who we may never know.

Thanks guys!  
pimp.gif

happy.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I just got to thinking, what are production #s like for other limited shoes? or even GRs?

Let's say at the end of day 10, there is $5.5 million in donations. At $450 msrp, and 100% of that going to the Parkinson's fund, you need about 12,250 willing buyers.. Is 12,000 a decent supply #? If Nike took half the $450, even then you would need about 24,500 interested parties... If you lower the price to $275 with 100% given, you would need an even 20,000 pairs sold.

I've never been too keen on production #s or units sold of other shoes and genres so I don't know if 20,000 is feasible at such a high price point...

i don't know if this method we see now is more about raising the most, as it may be about getting rid of the reseller middle man. Anything retailing at $275 to $500 may have resell value in excess of $1500.

Resellers have really screwed the common consumer here, and possibly themselves with their tactics that Nike didn't want to deal with.
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that this project was designed to raise awareness for Parkinson's as much as dollars. A wider release could have netted as much if not more in terms of funds raised, but by keeping numbers limited and extending the auctions over 10 days Nike is maximizing exposure. I think the amount of mainstream media attention the MAGs have received is a testament to the effectiveness of this strategy. Not everyone can afford to bid on the MAGs, but think about how many people are more aware of the MJF foundation now than they were a week ago. 
A one day worldwide release would have been bananas - for that one day - but the attention would have dissipated quicker and the negative PR due to potential riots (completely counterproductive to the cause) could have been a deterrent for Nike. 

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I just got to thinking, what are production #s like for other limited shoes? or even GRs?

Let's say at the end of day 10, there is $5.5 million in donations. At $450 msrp, and 100% of that going to the Parkinson's fund, you need about 12,250 willing buyers.. Is 12,000 a decent supply #? If Nike took half the $450, even then you would need about 24,500 interested parties... If you lower the price to $275 with 100% given, you would need an even 20,000 pairs sold.

I've never been too keen on production #s or units sold of other shoes and genres so I don't know if 20,000 is feasible at such a high price point...

i don't know if this method we see now is more about raising the most, as it may be about getting rid of the reseller middle man. Anything retailing at $275 to $500 may have resell value in excess of $1500.

Resellers have really screwed the common consumer here, and possibly themselves with their tactics that Nike didn't want to deal with.
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that this project was designed to raise awareness for Parkinson's as much as dollars. A wider release could have netted as much if not more in terms of funds raised, but by keeping numbers limited and extending the auctions over 10 days Nike is maximizing exposure. I think the amount of mainstream media attention the MAGs have received is a testament to the effectiveness of this strategy. Not everyone can afford to bid on the MAGs, but think about how many people are more aware of the MJF foundation now than they were a week ago. 
A one day worldwide release would have been bananas - for that one day - but the attention would have dissipated quicker and the negative PR due to potential riots (completely counterproductive to the cause) could have been a deterrent for Nike. 

Got my size 12 last night!
Does anyone know where you can get the event poster's they show on the Back4thefuture.com site?

Got my size 12 last night!
Does anyone know where you can get the event poster's they show on the Back4thefuture.com site?

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

I sure hope they ship overnight, after spending $3500 thats the least they can do.
And take money from the foundation so people can get there shoes a few days earlier??
indifferent.gif
 I hope you're kidding or you've missed the bigger picture.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if UPS or FedEx stepped in and offered free shipping on all the pairs. Good PR move.

I sure hope they ship overnight, after spending $3500 thats the least they can do.
And take money from the foundation so people can get there shoes a few days earlier??
indifferent.gif
 I hope you're kidding or you've missed the bigger picture.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if UPS or FedEx stepped in and offered free shipping on all the pairs. Good PR move.

No I'm not kidding at all. Nike can ship next day the same way they do on christmas eve with Retro 11 releases. How about a thank you to the people that spent thousands of dollars.

No I'm not kidding at all. Nike can ship next day the same way they do on christmas eve with Retro 11 releases. How about a thank you to the people that spent thousands of dollars.

You have a point.  $3K+ a pair, overnight shipping should be a given.

You have a point.  $3K+ a pair, overnight shipping should be a given.

I never said money from the foundation should be taken away to ship but thats a lot of money spent. Overnight shipping should be standard. I have no idea why it says 11 days. Lets face facts here, people want these shoes whether they are sneaker heads or fans of the movie, who here was dishing out thousands towards this cause prior to these auctions??? 

I never said money from the foundation should be taken away to ship but thats a lot of money spent. Overnight shipping should be standard. I have no idea why it says 11 days. Lets face facts here, people want these shoes whether they are sneaker heads or fans of the movie, who here was dishing out thousands towards this cause prior to these auctions??? 

For anyone with experience in charity auctions, whose tax ID do we use? Auction Cause or the Michael J. Fox Foundation?

For anyone with experience in charity auctions, whose tax ID do we use? Auction Cause or the Michael J. Fox Foundation?

Originally Posted by chinaurge

It should be Michael J. Fox Foundation because all the proceeds go to them. Auction Cause is basically the "middle man" helping NIKE and MJF Foundation. 

It should be Michael J. Fox Foundation because all the proceeds go to them. Auction Cause is basically the "middle man" helping NIKE and MJF Foundation. 

You should utilize the MJF Foundation Tax ID. In this case, Auction Casue is mearly the broker.

You should utilize the MJF Foundation Tax ID. In this case, Auction Casue is mearly the broker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom