Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

One my good friends from h.s. I asked her husband how their son was doing in school and he busted out with yea their doing advanced stuff at his school he’s reading at a 6th grade level (the kid was in 1st grade at the time) :lol: they pay for some fancy/pricy private school. I told me wife this and she was like there’s no way he’s at that grade level in reading he couldn’t even read certain words in a comic book our son was showing him! She’s was irritated by it :lol:

Any kumon parents in here?

My son is about to finish 2nd grade this spring and he’s reading at a 4th grade level right now :lol: (not bragging) my former boss was a kumon kid and she told me if they start the math program by 3rd grade they’ll be ahead of their class when it comes to math.

My daughter did Kumon for about a month. To me the money was not worth for it to be almost a classroom setting. Meaning that they work in small groups. Also, they start all students with remedial math. This is helpful but this also drags the process.

Her grades did improve, I just wanted her to have more attention independently.

Last edited:
To all my fathers

Listening to 'Parent Corner' Special Edition Part 2 With Cousin Sal (Ep. 329) from The Bill Simmons Podcast. http://podbay.fm/show/1043699613/e/1519200926

Parent Corner' Special Edition Part 2 With Cousin Sal (Ep. 329)

HBO and The Ringer's Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal dish out potentially problematic parenting advice and share stories from their time as dads in the second part of this series.

No health issues according to the blood work. Very happy with that news :pimp: August can't come soon enough. Can't wait to meet and hold my kid.

20180218_101152.jpg

my lil man is crawling. 7 months and a tank. cant wait to start doing boy things

Any kumon parents in here?
my son been going since he was about 3.5 and he just turned 5. i think it's helped him the most with being responsible. it's kinda expensive for what it is. people might be better off buying the workbooks from amazon and doing it with their kids. his reading is really good but that's more from my wife doing letters, phonics, and sight word flash cards from a young age. he read the book corduroy (the bear) to me last night (no idea what level that is) this is what he's on now:
IMG_8525.jpg

my biggest thing now is getting him into more physical activities. we're going to try him in BJJ next week. he knows i like fishing and he's wanted to go with me but it's too dangerous where i go so i took him to a spot by my job and let him hook a few tilapia :lol: he had a blast.
IMG_8054.jpg

At a party today, I was teaching kids how to play a gambling game and joking with them
Few adults/parents pulled me aside after and told me "You're amazing with kids, you're gonna be a great dad"

I'm a 26yo guy who's anti-marriage / having kids, but it was nice to hear that
All of my volunteering work is with youth mentoring / sick kids

Last edited:
question for you fathers out there. have your kids experiences a febrile seizure? my 13 month old had one this weekend and it was the scariest thing ever.

I would love to hear other parents views.

I love this approach and try to use this as often as possible when it comes to my daughter.

I think the reasoning approach depends on the child. The first example that comes to mind with my 6 y/o son is every morning when I'm trying to comb his hair before school and he's acting crazy moving all over the place, spinning around, jumping, etc. and I tell him calmly about a hundred times that he needs to stand still because I can't comb his hair when he's acting silly but he keeps acting a fool until I slap him on the cheek with the comb. After that, he stands still AF until I'm done. In my defense, I always start with the reasoning approach, but half the time it ends with a firm swat. Just sayin...

Same here lol ^^

While reasoning I use the cognitive reframing technique as well. Explaining why we do what we have to do and making sure they get it. It’s continuous reminders but sometimes I forget that their kids and they don’t have the same cognitive ability as me.

Same here lol ^^

While reasoning I use the cognitive reframing technique as well. Explaining why we do what we have to do and making sure they get it. It’s continuous reminders but sometimes I forget that their kids and they don’t have the same cognitive ability as me.

Sometimes I'll sit him down and explain some ish for like 5 minutes and he's nodding and I think I'm really getting through to him. When I'm done and feeling really good about myself he'll look at me all confused and say, "what did you say again, dad??" DEAD.

^thats a good age differential for the older one to be helpful and loving towards the younger one

Our first two are 30 months apart, our second and third are 25 months apart

Though there were times where the oldest was jealous and would hit her younger sister (still happens but less frequent), there are other times where they’re the best of friends like today at the park when the older one was calling her to follow so they could play together

I expect the middle child to be jealous with the baby, there’s times where she wants to sit on or lay on momma but can’t cause my wife has the newborn and is focused on him nursing

question for you fathers out there. have your kids experiences a febrile seizure? my 13 month old had one this weekend and it was the scariest thing ever.
a fellow air max enthusiast here on NT described to me his daughter having one at about 9 months. sounded horrible. i would flip out.

My oldest had them his first night home, it is one of the worst feelings of panic and fear I've ever had. I felt so helpless. His ended up being the veins connected from his brain to his skull got messed up when his mom was pushing. He was and is fine, and hasn't had any issues since.

Thanks for your guys responses. Scariest experience of my life watching my son convulse in my arms, eyes rolling back and turning blue. I guess its somewhat common and it's not life threatening/does not cause permanent brain damage. Worst part is once you have one, you have a higher chance to get another one before the age of two. I hope/pray that you dads don't ever have to experience it.

Hello everyone long time poster first time father in waiting. Just found out my wife is pregnant last Month. We're at 8 weeks today. It's scary man. I've always been one of those dudes up and down about wanting kids. Since I found the love of my life it's all I wanted. We're hoping thinking it's a girl.
Listened to the heart beat last weekend for literally 5 secs not enough time to get emotional. The lady just did a quick thing.
What was that fealing like when y'all saw and heard your baby after the first trimester.?

Back
Top Bottom