Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

AA383D6D-4C7F-480C-9EB7-DE80982E5280.jpeg
:rofl:
i’m the one that has been doing the drop-offs and pick-ups since my son started day care at 3 months old. he’s been at fancy schools the whole time and if you look at me and the other parents, i stick out like a sore thumb :lol:
i just try to be cordial and don’t really socialize much at whatever events i go to. last bday party i took my son to, i just left and came back later. my son is starting kindergarten next week and we had a social event for new parents last night and my wife did most of the talking. there was one polynesian dude who is a security guard and his son is gonna be in my son’s class and i spent most the time talking to him.

anyway, i remember posting at all hours when my son was a baby and there were times i thought i’d never get 8 hours of sleep again. next week he’s off to kindergarten. slow down man!

My guy will be 1 this week. Time definitely flew. His first few months were the worst he would only sleep on us if we were sleeping upright (in a chair) now he’s walking and talking up a storm

love the bam bam theme! nice work!
my son’s first birthday wasn’t a very big get together. even though it was only 5 years ago, i had to struggle to remember where we held it :lol:

Had to get the fall shopping completed for the 2 kiddos...While doing that, Children's place had a 99 cent sale on summer items. My son is taken care of for next summer already.

To all the dads in here, if you can, go take advantage of these labor day sales.

Work bro brought in his 3yo kids today
I took care of them, taught them how to say different colors, and gave them snacks
He, his wife, and all the older folks at work said I'd be a great dad

Fozz Fozz -- is this my future?

Work bro brought in his 3yo kids today
I took care of them, taught them how to say different colors, and gave them snacks
He, his wife, and all the older folks at work said I'd be a great dad

Fozz Fozz -- is this my future?
Yess...it's working. It's finally working. [evil laugh]

i’m the one that has been doing the drop-offs and pick-ups since my son started day care at 3 months old. he’s been at fancy schools the whole time and if you look at me and the other parents, i stick out like a sore thumb :lol:
i just try to be cordial and don’t really socialize much at whatever events i go to. last bday party i took my son to, i just left and came back later. my son is starting kindergarten next week and we had a social event for new parents last night and my wife did most of the talking. there was one polynesian dude who is a security guard and his son is gonna be in my son’s class and i spent most the time talking to him.

anyway, i remember posting at all hours when my son was a baby and there were times i thought i’d never get 8 hours of sleep again. next week he’s off to kindergarten. slow down man!

What I feel like saying at all them school events

So I’ve been on Cloud 9 since Friday. We live in SF and my son is starting kinder this year. I’ll assume you guys know what a PITA the process is here. Basically you’re not guaranteed any school even if you live in that neighborhood. Then there are schools with Immersion programs that are a complete lottery. So we had our hearts set on this school(Garfield) in North Beach where I grew up. It has a immersion program where he would be learning Chinese. After we took the school tour, my wife started saying how she has this feeling that’s where our son will go to school. Then assignments gets mailed out and we didn’t get it. We apply for round 2 of 4. Didn’t get in. Round 3. Didn’t get in. Round 4. Then on Friday, the very last day of transfers....WE GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!

Already loving everything about the new school and AfterSchool program. The ASP even offers a Spanish class twice a week. Definitely signing him up for it. Ive always wanted my kids to speak multiple languages.

So I’ve been on Cloud 9 since Friday. We live in SF and my son is starting kinder this year. I’ll assume you guys know what a PITA the process is here. Basically you’re not guaranteed any school even if you live in that neighborhood. Then there are schools with Immersion programs that are a complete lottery. So we had our hearts set on this school(Garfield) in North Beach where I grew up. It has a immersion program where he would be learning Chinese. After we took the school tour, my wife started saying how she has this feeling that’s where our son will go to school. Then assignments gets mailed out and we didn’t get it. We apply for round 2 of 4. Didn’t get in. Round 3. Didn’t get in. Round 4. Then on Friday, the very last day of transfers....WE GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!

Already loving everything about the new school and AfterSchool program. The ASP even offers a Spanish class twice a week. Definitely signing him up for it. Ive always wanted my kids to speak multiple languages.

I’m not too familiar with the process even tho I was born and raised in SF. I always got accepted to the schools that I applied to as a kid (now that I look back at it, they’re terrible schools so maybe that’s why).

Any guidance on the process? It’s probably way too early (my son is 4 months old now) but doesn’t hurt to have an idea.

That reminds me, I gotta start looking into preschools

the process of getting my son into kindergarten was horrible. the school in our district is terrible so that was the absolute last choice. we applied him for 5 private schools and each of those have an individual test and group test. we put our name in 2 lotteries for charter schools. we also started laying the groundwork to use my cousin’s address to get him into a better public school. we didn’t get into any of the lottery schools. the first test he took was at a nice school where an NT dude teaches. all this time we kept my son away from using the phone and tablet. come to find out, the test was on an ipad :lol: he did ok but there were only 5 slots open for boys in our district and he didn’t get in. he got into 2 of the other schools and we were waiting on the last 2 which were the top two of our list. he ends up not getting into our second choice so we’re squeezing it out. finally we get the acceptance letter and my wife is crying lol. my boy is the third generation to go to the school that my dad and i went to.

out of all of that though, if at any point it becomes apparent that the school is a bad fit for my boy, i don’t care about the prestige of the school or what anyone else would think. we would yank him out with no hesitation. the academic load in the later years is super daunting and i’d rather my kid be a well-rounded kid than end up some low esteem
weirdo with anxiety.

I’m not too familiar with the process even tho I was born and raised in SF. I always got accepted to the schools that I applied to as a kid (now that I look back at it, they’re terrible schools so maybe that’s why).

Any guidance on the process? It’s probably way too early (my son is 4 months old now) but doesn’t hurt to have an idea.

That reminds me, I gotta start looking into preschools

Just worry about preschool for now lol. But check out this website https://www.ppssf.org/ for more info about the process for elementary school.

Things to think about for preschool:

-What age do you want him to start? It’s more expensive when they’re younger. I’m paying $1300(5 days) for my 3 yr old. Try to potty train him. Some schools require it.

-Depending on your situation, think about if you want the school to be close to work or close to home.

i.e will both parents be working? Will you have help with picking him up?

I live by Candlestick but my son goes to a preschool in Japantown(Chibi Chan). My wife works by civic center so it works better for us. we try and get out of the house by 7am and get to school by 7:30 for drop off. If we chose a school close to our place, we would probably get stuck in a little traffic. Makes pick up easier too unless you have help(grandparents/family/friends). Schools will charge you if you’re late. My school charges us $2 per minute after 6pm.

Just worry about preschool for now lol. But check out this website https://www.ppssf.org/ for more info about the process for elementary school.

Things to think about for preschool:

-What age do you want him to start? It’s more expensive when they’re younger. I’m paying $1300(5 days) for my 3 yr old. Try to potty train him. Some schools require it.

-Depending on your situation, think about if you want the school to be close to work or close to home.

i.e will both parents be working? Will you have help with picking him up?

I live by Candlestick but my son goes to a preschool in Japantown(Chibi Chan). My wife works by civic center so it works better for us. we try and get out of the house by 7am and get to school by 7:30 for drop off. If we chose a school close to our place, we would probably get stuck in a little traffic. Makes pick up easier too unless you have help(grandparents/family/friends). Schools will charge you if you’re late. My school charges us $2 per minute after 6pm.

Jesus Christ, $1300 for 5 days?? That’s highway robbery lol

Thanks for the tips, will probably try and have my grandma take care of him until he’s ready for preschool.

Might have to go through some loop holes to save on preschool (maybe have my parents claim him since they’re at a lower bracket?)

No way I can afford what you’re paying aha.

Small world but I live by candlestick as well (or whatever’s left of it)

Jesus Christ, $1300 for 5 days?? That’s highway robbery lol

Thanks for the tips, will probably try and have my grandma take care of him until he’s ready for preschool.

Might have to go through some loop holes to save on preschool (maybe have my parents claim him since they’re at a lower bracket?)

No way I can afford what you’re paying aha.

Small world but I live by candlestick as well (or whatever’s left of it)

I have bad news for you bro. $1300 is on the cheap end when it comes to preschool tuition. Some are as much as $2k a month. Since you have your grandma, I would look into only doing 3 days a week. Most people do 5 days out of necessity. CCSF Chinatown has free 1 hr classes for babies ages 1-2 but it requires someone to stay with the child. You can see if there are other programs like that closer to us. Check out the local libraries. They always do reading time.

It’s still really early but you’re going to want to think about sending him to school in another neighborhood. My assigned elementary school is Bret Harte which is rated 1 of 10 so there was no way he was going there. I’m guessing it’s the same for you.

Also, not all schools start at the same time. The first school(Sutro) we were assigned to started at 8:40am while Garfield starts at 7:50am. So a school that you like might not work for you if your schedule isn’t flexible. Do you and wifey work in the city? Because you might want to look for schools that would be close to your work or not too out of the way. most of the better schools are in like Sunset/West Portal, Cole Valley, Lower Pac, even the admission as well.

You should think about sending him to an Immersion school where they start with learning 80% another language. It eventually gets to 50/50. They have Spanish(?), Cantonese(4), Mandarin(2), Japanese(1), Korean(1), and maybe Tagalog(1). (Number of schools)

Another option could be Catholic school. They usually cost $700-800 a month but I think it’s worth the money if you don’t like the school you’re assigned to. If I could afford it, I would def send my kids to a Catholic school. But I have 3 kids and I just can’t make it work.

I have bad news for you bro. $1300 is on the cheap end when it comes to preschool tuition. Some are as much as $2k a month. Since you have your grandma, I would look into only doing 3 days a week. Most people do 5 days out of necessity. CCSF Chinatown has free 1 hr classes for babies ages 1-2 but it requires someone to stay with the child. You can see if there are other programs like that closer to us. Check out the local libraries. They always do reading time.

It’s still really early but you’re going to want to think about sending him to school in another neighborhood. My assigned elementary school is Bret Harte which is rated 1 of 10 so there was no way he was going there. I’m guessing it’s the same for you.

Also, not all schools start at the same time. The first school(Sutro) we were assigned to started at 8:40am while Garfield starts at 7:50am. So a school that you like might not work for you if your schedule isn’t flexible. Do you and wifey work in the city? Because you might want to look for schools that would be close to your work or not too out of the way. most of the better schools are in like Sunset/West Portal, Cole Valley, Lower Pac, even the admission as well.

You should think about sending him to an Immersion school where they start with learning 80% another language. It eventually gets to 50/50. They have Spanish(?), Cantonese(4), Mandarin(2), Japanese(1), Korean(1), and maybe Tagalog(1). (Number of schools)

Another option could be Catholic school. They usually cost $700-800 a month but I think it’s worth the money if you don’t like the school you’re assigned to. If I could afford it, I would def send my kids to a Catholic school. But I have 3 kids and I just can’t make it work.

Appreciate the information bro, definitely gotta do some research. I work in Emeryville but my schedule is flexible and my wife works in the city.

Will have to figure something out. Her friend has her own day care so that’s always an option

Appreciate the information bro, definitely gotta do some research. I work in Emeryville but my schedule is flexible and my wife works in the city.

Will have to figure something out. Her friend has her own day care so that’s always an option

You’re welcome....Any time. Just one more thing. If you plan on having more kids, think about spacing them out so you don’t end up with 2 preschool tuitions

I should have 5 weeks left, but my wife is ready to pop at any moment. We had talked about 2 maybe 3 kids before, but geezus this pregnancy makes me not even wanna consider more than 1. .

I should have 5 weeks left, but my wife is ready to pop at any moment. We had talked about 2 maybe 3 kids before, but geezus this pregnancy makes me not even wanna consider more than 1. .

Wife and I talked about having 2 kids. Now she just wants the 1 only :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom