Official Oakland Athletics 2012 Season Thread (94-68) AL WEST CHAMPIONS

doubtful anything big will go down...tops, we get drew

hell, if someone wants griff (tor) or zuk (tb) or straily (everyone, but its gonna cost u), gotta listen

im in the minority, but you gotta sell off a 24th round pick when its at a all time high...esp if it can get u a legit position player, particularly a 3b/ss
or you can just stop moving gg and pick a spot for him already...

doubtful anything big will go down...tops, we get drew
hell, if someone wants griff (tor) or zuk (tb) or straily (everyone, but its gonna cost u), gotta listen
im in the minority, but you gotta sell off a 24th round pick when its at a all time high...esp if it can get u a legit position player, particularly a 3b/ss
or you can just stop moving gg and pick a spot for him already...

I actually agree with this, but the thing I don't want is to use our best trade chip at this moment on a position which we already have a serviceable player.

Sizemore was pretty damn solid last year in his first year ever at the 3b spot. And he'll be back next year, not to mention we have a nice looking 3b prospect in AA, Miles Head.

At shortstop Penny is real terrible, and he's basically all we have til rookie league Addison Russell.

If we are gonna use our best trade chip in Straily, I'd rather have us get a legit g at a position where there's no hope. Asdrubal Cabrera or Starlin Castro would be great.

I actually agree with this, but the thing I don't want is to use our best trade chip at this moment on a position which we already have a serviceable player.
Sizemore was pretty damn solid last year in his first year ever at the 3b spot. And he'll be back next year, not to mention we have a nice looking 3b prospect in AA, Miles Head.
At shortstop Penny is real terrible, and he's basically all we have til rookie league Addison Russell.
If we are gonna use our best trade chip in Straily, I'd rather have us get a legit g at a position where there's no hope. Asdrubal Cabrera or Starlin Castro would be great.

castro was my pipe dream, but whatever...dream big i guess...and it wasnt too unrealistic considering the ****hole that is the current cub squad...too bad choice broke his hand-he was raking too
hell even peacock has put together 3 promising starts

It's getting so frustrating... The A's have struck out 19 times. :x

I was planning on going to the game tonight too. I probably would have been home by now. For those interested, the A's are doing a promotion for $11 Field Level tickets. The coupon code is "Pie." The promotion was good for today and tomorrow.

I think the final K count for the A's was 21, but they finally pulled through. Jemile Weeks with a pop up to center field that allowed Inge to tag up and score.

Once again, we are 3.5 games behind Texas in the West, and we are 1st in the Wild Card. :pimp:

ill del if this isnt kosh

from early july
"Straily doesn't have an overpowering fastball, but sat 91-93 mph and touched 94 to go with good, late zip. How do we know this? According to Trackman, a pitch-tracking device that uses Doppler radar and is installed at many major and minor league parks (including Tacoma), Straily's heater was typically at 86-87 mph when crossing the plate. (Hultzen, on the other hand, was 90-93 coming out of the hand and 83-85 crossing the plate. His drop-off of 5-9 mph is actually more typical than Straily's dip of 4-7 mph.) Straily also flashed an above-average changeup in the mid-80s and two useful breaking balls, one a slider in the 82-84 mph range with late bite and a true curveball in the low-70s with good shape and depth, though he appeared to lack good feel for the latter. Straily repeats his delivery well and creates some deception by not showing the ball to the batter until most of the way through his entire motion. He does land on a nearly stiff front leg, but maintains balance over the rubber and finishes strong. The consistent mechanics aid in the plus control and command and help the arsenal play up, including the fastball."

they will not include straily in a headley deal

while im not opposed to trading straily, he better net more than headley in any package deal

tough to watch, but ugly w's > pretty l's

Welp, we're not getting Drew and backed off Escobar.

Kinda want to stand pat, I'd rather not deal any of our top prospects for what's left on the market.

Disappointing that we don't find help at the deadline. A waiver wire trade can still happen, sure, but after Billy came out openly about needing upgrades, it's not fun to sit here knowing that everyone got better but us.

Disappointing that we don't find help at the deadline. A waiver wire trade can still happen, sure, but after Billy came out openly about needing upgrades, it's not fun to sit here knowing that everyone got better but us.

At least Texas got worse while getting better when they lost Feliz for the next 1+ years.

Parker needs to deliver tomorrow. I blame tonight's loss (most likely) on Kottaras and the team being tired. :lol:{

I've tried my best to defend Weeks this year because I'm a big fan of him but he has been HORRIBLE. He needs to go back to his approach from last year and stop trying to drive the damn ball. Use your legs to your advantage. Reddick had a disastrous series also, hopefully he can regroup.

I don't want to overreact because we lost a series to a very good team but the way we played was very disappointing. Didn't see today's game but they looked bad yesterday.

We're never going to hit for a high average, but we really have to make more contact to continue to win. You can't K 10 times a game and expect to keep winning. We basically get no production from our infield positions, outside of 1B recently. Hopefully we see a better performance from everyone against the Jays.

weeks has been horrendous this yr, except for a stretch in the past few weeks where he acutally hit down on the ball and took it up the middle

those early home runs in the year were the worst thing that could have happened...i mean dude swings out of his shoes on hitters counts...hell even with two strikes sometimes...so gd tilting

Yup, over the month of July we had at least 3+ hitters goin well so that drove our production. Some 3 person combo of Cespy, Reddick, Carter, Moss, Weeks, and Coco have to be hitting the ball well for us to get some runs with random timely hitting from a guy like Inge and Hicks.

We lost Coco who was hot when he got hurt. Carter and Cespy kept coming through, but Weeks can't bat leadoff (or at all apparently) and Reddick had a terrible series, and Moss hasn't played enough lately so his timing was awful.

The more I see all this the more pissed off I am that we didn't get Han Ram. I know I said I didn't want any part of him, but in hindsight I completely take it back. He was traded for pennies and at least was a viable threat to go yard. We HAVE to acquire a decent SS this offseason and Norris needs to destroy AAA, cuz right now 6-9 are basically auto-outs.

Disappointing loss today, we lost the series. We have a four game series against the Blue Jays and then a three game series against the Angels, both at home. Have to do well to keep our position in the Wild Card Standing. Tampa Bay made up some ground on us this past series, and luckily the Yankees kept the O's at bay.

Now we get to see how the young guys on the team hold up during crunch time. Our pitching is going to hold up, we have to see how the bats are going to do. It's pretty exciting.

Back
Top Bottom