Official PC thread.

800w PSU should handle almost anything you throw at it.

:lol:

I should probably upgrade my PC that I've had since 2011, but I don't really play games anymore. I wasted a lot of time on them when I was younger.

Well, I'm asking that cause my Radeon 4870x2 crapped out the 800w I originally had

..then I replaced it and then the Radeon went bad :smh: :smh: :smh:

That thing was a beast when it worked though..could run any games on Ultra setting :pimp:

And me personally I want to upgrade it because I wanna hop on that Youtube wave and get some use out of the games sitting on my Steam library.

Question for the PC guys. How can I build a PC, but runnon OSX.

I want it to be dual booted, OSX and Windows for gaming. I want my next desktop to be future proof so I'm not getting a Mac. I'm an Apple notebook user

Any Linux users here?? I'm thinking of getting a desktop since I'm sick of windows. Anything that I should be aware of?

Chrome is a known memory hog, try out another browser and see if the problem persists
No real reason honestly other than wanting to try out Skylake. Don't think I would have seen any major difference between the two, so it was basically just get the newer one.

Ahh so it's the newer version of the i7..I didn't know that! I'm going to get the i7 4790k this month.

Quote:

Chrome is a known memory hog, try out another browser and see if the problem persists
No real reason honestly other than wanting to try out Skylake. Don't think I would have seen any major difference between the two, so it was basically just get the newer one.
Ahh so it's the newer version of the i7..I didn't know that! I'm going to get the i7 4790k this month.
If you're doing a completely new build, you're better off getting the 6700k.  It's only ~$30 more than the 4790k so you might as well get the latest and greatest.  You'll get DDR4 ram support (64GB max), more PCI-E lanes on the z170 chipset and most z170 motherboards come with USB 3.1 ports.  It's barely a performance upgrade but the added features will be worth it if you don't plan on upgrading for a while.

anyone ever use Maingear? Thinking of getting them to build me up a rig. I've built my last 3 computers though so I could spend the time part hunting and neatly putting it all together. But to have them just put it together would be nice. Looking at their smallest compact PC.

Ok, so I know I'm going to build this winter. Going to say **** the Hackintosh and just go Windows 10 and keep my MBP on a stand when needed hooked to the monitor as backup.

I'm interested in making it 4k also, but need al little guidance with where to look for the best 4k card at a low price :nerd:

My poverty set up:

Apple keyboard and mouse I got for free from my school
32" Vizio TV I also go for free at my valet job
Vizio sound bar (probably can't be seen in the pic)

All this being powered by my ASUS i5 8GB 15in laptops with 250 GB SSD. One day I'll make a more impressive set up but this will get me through school for now.

Any Linux users here?? I'm thinking of getting a desktop since I'm sick of windows. Anything that I should be aware of?

I use it at work all of the time. I'm not sure there are any specific hardware requirements. Some drivers may not work with Linux but that's the only thing I can think of

Ok, so I know I'm going to build this winter. Going to say **** the Hackintosh and just go Windows 10 and keep my MBP on a stand when needed hooked to the monitor as backup.

I'm interested in making it 4k also, but need al little guidance with where to look for the best 4k card at a low price :nerd:

I think you could get away with a 750 ti, probably will be rough if you're going to be gaming though.

I use it at work all of the time. I'm not sure there are any specific hardware requirements. Some drivers may not work with Linux but that's the only thing I can think of

Thanks for your reply. I've found some websites that sell the desktops all together. Just have to do more research .

I think you could get away with a 750 ti, probably will be rough if you're going to be gaming though.

Yeah I wanted something to game with. was looking at the 970 but didn't know if it was 4k compatible.

Yeah I wanted something to game with. was looking at the 970 but didn't know if it was 4k compatible.

4K gaming is going to be expensive.

Might be able to get with away it, but it'll have to be run at lower quality.

I'll be picking up a 970 soon myself.

Last edited:
I guess I should say I wanted to do it in the future so I figured I might as well get the card now, so I can upgrade to the display later down the line when need be.

,isn't say screw 4K all together since it'll cut cost. I mainly want to run games at max/ultra, while having a desktop I can still work/develop from

I want high FPS as well

I guess I should say I wanted to do it in the future so I figured I might as well get the card now, so I can upgrade to the display later down the line when need be.

,isn't say screw 4K all together since it'll cut cost. I mainly want to run games at max/ultra, while having a desktop I can still work/develop from

I want high FPS as well

I had the same thought when going through my newest build. Wanted 4K set up with one of the new Gsync monitors coming out but I don't think it's worth it right now, so go 1440p until more graphics cards come out that are able to really push 4K monitors. A single 980ti will get pretty decent fps st 4k and SLI will get even better but it's still doesn't seem as good as the results you'll get from a 1440p monitor.

First time in this thread, could use some suggestions.

Looking to get my mom a new computer for Christmas. Just straight functionality that she'll be able to use 2, maybe 3 disc programs for her small business. Right now she's using my father and her's eMachine from who even knows when :lol: maybe 2008?

What should I look at and where? Reps to anyone who helps!

First time in this thread, could use some suggestions.

Looking to get my mom a new computer for Christmas. Just straight functionality that she'll be able to use 2, maybe 3 disc programs for her small business. Right now she's using my father and her's eMachine from who even knows when
laugh.gif
maybe 2008?

What should I look at and where? Reps to anyone who helps!
What's your mom's current build? For their needs, you won't need to spend much.

What's your mom's current build? For their needs, you won't need to spend much.
Couldn't even tell you the specs, but it's as basic as can be. Like, a straight-out-of-Best Buy purchase tower.
Is it still running fine? Either way, a new build would be a nice Christmas present.

Here's what I recommend around the lower range. It should last quite a while. No need for a GPU:

- CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

- Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

- Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600 (I recommend 2x4GB) -- RAM prices are dropping

- Storage: Any 120GB-250GB SSD (Samsung, Crucial, etc.) -- Everything will load much faster

- Case:  Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case -- Compact sized and minimal case

- Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -- Will handle everything she does on the PC

- DVD optical drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer -- Pick any DVD writer at the lowest price point; they all work fine

- May need to get a new copy of Windows and a Wi-Fi adapter too

Last edited:
Is it still running fine? Either way, a new build would be a nice Christmas present.

Here's what I recommend around the lower range. It should last quite a while. No need for a GPU:

- CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
- Memory: 4GB or 8GB DDR3-1600 (I recommend 2x4GB)
- Storage: Any 120GB-250GB SSD (Samsung, Crucial, etc.)
- Case: Gigabyte GZ-P5HB5C (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
- Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
- DVD optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
- May need to get a new copy of Windows 7 or 10 too

Not running the best as of late which is why I was looking to gift a new one. Not even build it but if I can buy one around Black Friday what brand/model should I go after?

Back
Top Bottom