Official PC thread.

I'm open to either idea really, I guess it's going to boil down to cost... also are there any HTPC cases that support water cooling? I doubt I will be able to use my old one. I dunno, right now I'm just researching. I am gonna try to put everything back together and see if I can fix it somehow...

Ok, I like the idea of another HTPC. I used to have an Alienware X51 and I loved that thing, wish I hadn't sold it now... I have never built a PC myself before, so I don't know if that's the best idea because it's going to be hard getting everything to fit properly. I also want to use as many of my old components as possible. I know fitting my 980ti into a lot of those HTPC cases might be a challenge. I dunno how practical reusing my CPU is, or if I should just upgrade that too. I would like another water cooled set up, but once again, I dunno if that would be possible in an HTPC. Basically I just want something that going to be easy to put together and manage in the future that isn't going to cost as much as buying a whole new computer from scratch...

Last edited:
If you want watercooling, you're gonna have to do a custom build............I know there are prebuilts that come with watercooling now, but it is way more reliable to build the system yourself if you're going to do watercooling.

At the very least, building a PC yourself will give you more knowledge about how to troubleshoot fix your own PC when something goes wrong............instead of wasting mobile airtime minutes to ****ing HP or Dell when their PCs break due to their poor case structuring, poor power supply support (prebuilt PCs are always underpowed with their power supplies), and bloatware software that'll kill your PC's memory/processing speed overtime.

If you want watercooling, you're gonna have to do a custom build............I know there are prebuilts that come with watercooling now, but it is way more reliable to build the system yourself if you're going to do watercooling.

At the very least, building a PC yourself will give you more knowledge about how to troubleshoot fix your own PC when something goes wrong............instead of wasting mobile airtime minutes to ****ing HP or Dell when their PCs break due to their poor case structuring, poor power supply support (prebuilt PCs are always underpowed with their power supplies), and bloatware software that'll kill your PC's memory/processing speed overtime.

Will save you a ton too!

Will save you a ton too!

Sorta, in the case of slaughterx slaughterx it'll save him a ton of money b/c he already has a GTX 980 ti graphics card that he can swap out of his old PC into a new custom build.

But if you're building this straight from scratch, GTX 1070s, 1080s and above are being sold at "a devil's ransom" right now on the retail market (yes, RETAIL MARKET.........those aren't only resale numbers, ppl). Literally 50% of your system build budget will be dedicated to buying a graphics card and possibly another 20% of it dedicated to buying RAM with the NAND memory shortage also kicking into play..........and at that point, a "prebuilt PC" with the same graphics card and RAM will probably cost a lot less than the custom build you're trying to make.

And please don't give me that lecture of "wait for a sale," because cryptominers that are buying up GPUs are using the same cart bots that resellers have been using to terrorize our "SadderDay" Jordan/Nike/Adidas/Yeezy releases.

Last edited:
You can get a solid CPU/MOBO combo for under $300.

Something like a Ryzen 1600 w/ a Gigabyte AB350.

Throw that in a Fractal Meshify C and it'll be around ~$350. Maybe wait for one of these components to go on sale.

I'm assuming you already have everything else - PSU, RAM, storage, etc ...

I have a 980ti, 24gb RAM, 2x 2TB HDDs... I am gonna put my HP back together with maybe half that RAM and the stock 2GB HDD and try and get it running again, and maybe buy a new case, mobo, CPU, and modular power supply . I have an extra power supply from my old computer but modular ones look much more neat. What Intel CPU should I get if I want to future proof this system for next gen GPUs? I haven't been following CPUs much but I'm sure much has advanced in the past couple of years (i7 6700k). Also I know I want another water cooled rig.

I have a 980ti, 24gb RAM, 2x 2TB HDDs... I am gonna put my HP back together with maybe half that RAM and the stock 2GB HDD and try and get it running again, and maybe buy a new case, mobo, CPU, and modular power supply . I have an extra power supply from my old computer but modular ones look much more neat. What Intel CPU should I get if I want to future proof this system for next gen GPUs? I haven't been following CPUs much but I'm sure much has advanced in the past couple of years. I posted my specs a few pages back.

You've got the GPU and the RAM, so essentially you've got the 2 most expensive essential parts of the build already completed.

I recommend using this website to help you out in looking for "compatible" PC components to go along with your 980ti or whatever GPU you have.

https://pcpartpicker.com

It's great in finding mobos, cpus, and other PC component parts that are compatible with your preferred GPU.

Well I plan to upgrading the GPU later... either this year or next (probably next year)... so I don't want to worry about future bottlenecks. I will check out that site

Gaming? I threw this together but I want to do more research on motherboards... is it better to have a separate device for wifi or have it on the mobo? My last PC has a chip connected to the mobo for wifi

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MzsNQZ

Attachments

• 20180403_124016.jpg
    20180403_124016.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 18
Sorta, in the case of slaughterx slaughterx it'll save him a ton of money b/c he already has a GTX 980 ti graphics card that he can swap out of his old PC into a new custom build.

But if you're building this straight from scratch, GTX 1070s, 1080s and above are being sold at "a devil's ransom" right now on the retail market (yes, RETAIL MARKET.........those aren't only resale numbers, ppl). Literally 50% of your system build budget will be dedicated to buying a graphics card and possibly another 20% of it dedicated to buying RAM with the NAND memory shortage also kicking into play..........and at that point, a "prebuilt PC" with the same graphics card and RAM will probably cost a lot less than the custom build you're trying to make.

And please don't give me that lecture of "wait for a sale," because cryptominers that are buying up GPUs are using the same cart bots that resellers have been using to terrorize our "SadderDay" Jordan/Nike/Adidas/Yeezy releases.

Yea this is also true. I wasn’t aware of it until my little bro mentioned it. He got a 1080 for dirt cheap compared to now because of the miners.

212 Evo.

Or if you want to spend more get a Noctua.

Tbh if you're not overclocking you probably don't need an aftermarket cooler.

I don't want to spend more... and I don't plan on OCing, but I do want it to be as silent as possible. Is there a reason you are against the H60?

My old Build

i7 5820K 3.3ghz (Stock Clock)
GTX 1080 Founders Edition (Stock Clock)
16GB DDR4 2400 RAM
512 SAMSUNG 840 PRO

My new build

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
16gb DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5353184F-6B96-4F19-ABF9-AEB96364A335.jpeg
5682AF2F-B9A0-4581-9DAC-BD9CD4000B52.jpeg
36CB6F6C-E84C-437D-87D6-4A879655B191.jpeg
A75A1BF3-95AE-4F61-B803-46D09D6F519C.jpeg

Last edited:
Why do you need watwrcooling ?

We need watercooling because you have GPUS and CPUs that run hot with stock clocks.
So when it comes to overlocking(tweaks for extra performance/fps)
They run even hotter.....
Watercooling is a safer way to keep things cooler than fans.
Its pretty much insurance or a safeguard for people who spend big $$$ on GPUs and CPUs from frying thier hardware.
Heat destroys and shortens the life on components...just like anything else mechanical and electrical.

As you can see in my pictures above the watercooling plumbing keeps water recirculating through my CPU and GPU blocks which carries away the heat and bring cooler water in to dissipate more heat.
Along with my fans and radiator which draw heat off my water pipes and out of the case/tower.
This way I can do things like overclock my CPU to 5.3ghz and overclock my GPU more over 2k mhz, but even with watercooling running overclocks still don't guarantee a long life expectancy of complements. So its a risk we take.
The same way a car works with radiator/coolant....the coolant flows through your cars heads and engine block to keep things cool.
When your coolant system fails...your fans will work extra hard to try and dissipate heat, but the fans alone are not enough to keep up with the heat buildup rate.
So eventually you fry/warp your components.

Last edited:
I hooked everything back up the way I think it was, minus the GPU and half the RAM... now my fan on the water cooler spins at top speed the entire time as soon as I turn it on... still nothing showing up on the TV. :frown:

Attachments

• 20180404_132554.jpg
    20180404_132554.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 24
I hooked everything back up the way I think it was, minus the GPU and half the RAM... now my fan on the water cooler spins at top speed the entire time as soon as I turn it on... still nothing showing up on the TV. :frown:

The CPU is done it seems..........the fact that your water cooler fan is at top speed and you have no display from the on-board GPU of the processor means that your CPU processor is completely done.

You need a new CPU and case (and water cooler).

And also try investing in a power supply unit that is around the 600W to 750W range, 'cuz the power supply units that come with those HP PCs are SO SEVERELY UNDERPOWERED, 350W-500Ws is what comes with most HP prebuilt PCs with high-demanding CPUs & GPU which puts you at risk for throttling the PC with more high intensive games, and the PSU in your current PC is at 450Ws (according to that screen pic you put up).

Yeah, that PSU's low wattage was already a red flag right there.

I don't want to spend more... and I don't plan on OCing, but I do want it to be as silent as possible. Is there a reason you are against the H60?

It's a budget/cheap AIO. An air cooler will usually be better than a budget/low end AIO at a lower/same price.

If you're dead set on watercooling, get the H60.

So I took my water cooler back out and realized I had one of the wires connected to the wrong spot on the motherboard, so now it sounds right again.

So now what happens, the computer turns on for a few seconds, the resets and stays on. Nothing appears on the screen at all... though there are two hdmi outputs on the motherboard, not sure which one is the default one or if that even matters. Is there something I can do on the motherboard to reset yo the old bios, like a socket plug or something?

So I took my water cooler back out and realized I had one of the wires connected to the wrong spot on the motherboard, so now it sounds right again.

So now what happens, the computer turns on for a few seconds, the resets and stays on. Nothing appears on the screen at all... though there are two hdmi outputs on the motherboard, not sure which one is the default one or if that even matters. Is there something I can do on the motherboard to reset yo the old bios, like a socket plug or something?

Not sure. Maybe pull the cmos battery?

I tried the CMOS reset jumpers but it didn't seem to work. Just read an article on Tom's Hardware about the new Intel processors that should be coming out soon, so I dunno if I should wait and see what those have to offer or how they will affect prices of the 8700k...

Back
Top Bottom