Official PC thread.

little man will be money! thats super dope of you. I remember wanting a gaming computer back then so bad so I didn't have to share 1 computer with my 2 brothers all trying to play Starcraft haha.

With the new rig getting here Thursday, I been looking for monitors.

I want to max out the output of the 10900k / 3080 .

So far I have been looking at the

Acer XB273X
HP OMEN 8AC94AA#ABA
Alinware AW2720HF

What do you guys think?

I'm bias, but I would pick the alienware. I have an older 25" version and my gf has the 25" version of that model also. I love my monitor and almost upgraded for the ips panel alone. I got the monitor I have (25" 1080p 240hz 1ms) because I mainly play fps games, but now i'm looking for a 1440p monitor to get use out of my 3080 and for games like cyberpunk.

I don't know what your budget is, but this is the monitor I'm looking to get down the line.

Alienware AW2721D

My only complaint for these monitors is the monitor stands can get in the way because they're so big and awkward. It's not a problem if you don't play fps games or use a monitor arm.

little man will be money! thats super dope of you. I remember wanting a gaming computer back then so bad so I didn't have to share 1 computer with my 2 brothers all trying to play Starcraft haha.

That's the problem - his younger brother has had one for a couple of years and won't let him use it (they're going through a competitive phase). He saved up and bought it in parts himself. This one kept blowing his money on stupid stuff but this year managed to put some aside and then I bought the rest.

With the new rig getting here Thursday, I been looking for monitors.

I want to max out the output of the 10900k / 3080 .

So far I have been looking at the

Acer XB273X
HP OMEN 8AC94AA#ABA
Alinware AW2720HF

What do you guys think?

I would definitely go 1440p 144hz+ IPS.

I owned a 240hz monitor, the difference between 144 and 240 is not substantial, but the difference between 1080p and 1440p is pretty massive.

Popular picks right now are the Dell S2721DGF and LGs own iterations of that panel (27GL83a/27GN850).

Another one that's interesting is the msi mag274qrf-qd, but kinda hard to find right now.

Check our Hardware Unboxed on youtube for reviews on these.

I would definitely go 1440p 144hz+ IPS.

I owned a 240hz monitor, the difference between 144 and 240 is not substantial, but the difference between 1080p and 1440p is pretty massive.

Popular picks right now are the Dell S2721DGF and LGs own iterations of that panel (27GL83a/27GN850).

Another one that's interesting is the msi mag274qrf-qd, but kinda hard to find right now.

Check our Hardware Unboxed on youtube for reviews on these.
I was looking at the GN850 but it didn't mention GSync, that's why I looked for the GL83A-B in Amazon.

So you would choose the LG over the Omen?

I'm bias, but I would pick the alienware. I have an older 25" version and my gf has the 25" version of that model also. I love my monitor and almost upgraded for the ips panel alone. I got the monitor I have (25" 1080p 240hz 1ms) because I mainly play fps games, but now i'm looking for a 1440p monitor to get use out of my 3080 and for games like cyberpunk.

I don't know what your budget is, but this is the monitor I'm looking to get down the line.

Alienware AW2721D

My only complaint for these monitors is the monitor stands can get in the way because they're so big and awkward. It's not a problem if you don't play fps games or use a monitor arm.
This look GOOD, but being that ultimately im going to get him 2 monitors, dont like it does not have a vertical view option.

I was looking at the GN850 but it didn't mention GSync, that's why I looked for the GL83A-B in Amazon.

So you would choose the LG over the Omen?

Native gsync isn't that big of a deal anymore.

NVIDIA cards can use freesync now (this is called gsync compatible).

The GL83A and GN850 are the same LG panel, but the GN has a different backlight giving it a wider color gamut (that most people won't care for).

The best iteration of the LG panel is probably the Dell S2721DGF mainly because of their excellent customer service and warranty. It's sometimes $430 from their website.

I don't think the Omen is worth it at $500, it was $400 a couple weeks ago, and maybe that would be ok. Unfortunately, it's only DP 1.2, so you can't run 1440 144 at 10 bit color.

Native gsync isn't that big of a deal anymore.

NVIDIA cards can use freesync now (this is called gsync compatible).

The GL83A and GN850 are the same LG panel, but the GN has a different backlight giving it a wider color gamut (that most people won't care for).

The best iteration of the LG panel is probably the Dell S2721DGF mainly because of their excellent customer service and warranty. It's sometimes $430 from their website.

I don't think the Omen is worth it at $500, it was $400 a couple weeks ago, and maybe that would be ok. Unfortunately, it's only DP 1.2, so you can't run 1440 144 at 10 bit color.
So in your opinion the LG 27GL83A-B is the better buy and better of the two.

Last edited:
I went with the LG ... mostly because they are newer. The DL is from 2014. Plus I got it for 379.

I think you were looking at the wrong Dell?

S2721DGF is a 2021 model, as noted by the "21" (released in August), the LGs have been around for about a year give or take.

All good tho.

Dang you're right.

Failed search.

To late to cancel the LG. Hope they enjoy it.

Ultimately Im going to get him to screens. Just want to see how the monitor looks first.

Now for the mic/cam ..

Any guidance or help in additing additional fans?

At the moment I have put a portable fan on top to cool it down.

Also where I can get customer stuff without a brands logo?

Any guidance or help in additing additional fans?

At the moment I have put a portable fan on top to cool it down.

Also where I can get customer stuff without a brands logo?

People often go crazy with hella fans, but if your case has good airflow, you will probably be fine with like three of them, 2 intaking air, 1 exhausting.

If you want to monitor temps, you can use hwinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/

Anyone have suggeation on good gaming chairs (rgb preferably) for a 9 y/o.

I need to buy one today.. loL

Is building a pc difficult? The most I've ever done is add ram and replace a power supply unit.

I bought two Lian Li cases, the o11 XL in black and one in white.

Are these good desktop cases?

Is building a pc difficult? The most I've ever done is add ram and replace a power supply unit.

I was going to build one, but decided to buy a prebuild mostly because the scarcity of video cards.

But I had no experience, just youtube.

You’ve done most of it lol. It’s basically what you described. Just putting components in the right place.

Like said above though, with the scarcity of GPU’s pre-builts have been the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom