Official PC thread.

Just doubled the RAM in my laptop and while I was in there fixed the mouse key that didn’t pop back up properly - pretty obvious when I looked that the little plastic piece had cracked. Just built a layer in the top with 2 part epoxy which should be pretty solid.

C7F1CB39-08F0-4818-80F6-607767AC4435.jpeg

The only slightly annoying thing is that the RAM I’m putting in here looks a lot like the stuff I removed from a PC at work earlier - so I probably didn’t have to buy this, could have moved it down after upgrading the other one.

Any recommendations on a mesh wifi system? Have a couple deadzones and the powerline adapters I have aren't cutting it for YouTube TV and other streaming apps. Wifi works much better but some parts of the house experience serious buffering and quality degradation. I have 1 Gbps fiber internet. ISP provided router gives me 4-500 Mbps on 5Ghz right next to it, deadzones fluctuate between 10-70 Mbps making streaming highly unstable.

Band splitting is a must (separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), tri-band and Wifi 6 strongly preferred. I think I can get by with 2 units (router + node) but 3 units (router + 2 nodes) would be ideal.

My research so far has led me to the Linksys Velop AX4200 2-pack. Not as fast as the Netgear Orbi RBK752 overall but sends stronger signals through walls. Costco has a great deal on a 4-pack of the Linksys Velop AC2200 which is Wifi 5.

Any insight is appreciated.

Any recommendations on a mesh wifi system? Have a couple deadzones and the powerline adapters I have aren't cutting it for YouTube TV and other streaming apps. Wifi works much better but some parts of the house experience serious buffering and quality degradation. I have 1 Gbps fiber internet. ISP provided router gives me 4-500 Mbps on 5Ghz right next to it, deadzones fluctuate between 10-70 Mbps making streaming highly unstable.

Band splitting is a must (separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), tri-band and Wifi 6 strongly preferred. I think I can get by with 2 units (router + node) but 3 units (router + 2 nodes) would be ideal.

My research so far has led me to the Linksys Velop AX4200 2-pack. Not as fast as the Netgear Orbi RBK752 overall but sends stronger signals through walls. Costco has a great deal on a 4-pack of the Linksys Velop AC2200 which is Wifi 5.

Any insight is appreciated.

I'd go with the Orbi........mostly b/c each wifi node comes with 4 LAN ports if you wanted to do multiple wired ethernet connections with any devices in the particular room where the node is located (such as both a PC and a console) while also maintaining a stable wifi connection for other devices you want to keep wifi.

The Velop is decent as well, BUT each of those nodes only come with 2 LAN ports each........and the "parent node" that connects one of its LAN ports to the actual ISP modem completely disables usage of the 2nd LAN port of that same node for another wired connection, which will limit your "wired connection" options as well..

If you ONLY want to stick to wifi connection for everything, PC gaming and console gaming included, then Velop is fine with Tri-Band.

If you want to have a wired connection option with your mesh wifi network, GET THE NETGEAR ORBIS

bigjny88 bigjny88 Thanks for the input. No gaming for me at the moment, only live and on demand streaming. The only places I'd consider a wired connection are in the living room and main bedroom for the TVs. The router/main unit will be in the office where I get a strong, steady wifi signal already.

That's why 3 units would be ideal so I could put one satellite in the living room to address one nearby deadzone + hardwired TV and another in the main bedroom for the other deadzone + hardwired TV. Costco only has 2-packs of the Velop currently on sale for $220 but they do have the 3-pack Orbi AX4200 on sale for $400. The best performance reviews for both I could find were from Tom's Guide and the Orbi struggles with signal penetration through walls (https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/netgear-orbi-rbk752). While 3 Orbis should meet my needs at $400, I'd rather try out the 2 Velops initially at $220 then maybe buy another 2 pack ($440 total) so I could have 3 units + 1 unit left for the basement when that gets finished.

Wifi 6E Netgear offerings sound like straight beasts but are out of my budget at $800+...

I don’t know if it does everything you want but I have a TP Link Deco system at home and at work and it’s transformed the wifi in both.

Part of the reason I chose them is because other than the main unit the other transmitters are the type that just plug in to a socket - no wires or anything, just the thing with a plug sticking out the back. Keeps it neat.

I don’t know if it does everything you want but I have a TP Link Deco system at home and at work and it’s transformed the wifi in both.

Part of the reason I chose them is because other than the main unit the other transmitters are the type that just plug in to a socket - no wires or anything, just the thing with a plug sticking out the back. Keeps it neat.
It was my understanding that the Deco doesn't feature band splitting. I have devices that don't work with the combined 2.4/5Ghz band so I need to broadcast separate SSIDs for each band.

I decided to order two 2-packs of the Linksys Velop AX4200 from Costco for $460. Sale ends this Saturday so figured if 2 units get the job done I can return the other pack.

Anyone bought PC Parts off of StockX? I'm thinking of copping the 3070 TI Founders. It's "only" $860 before tax versus the extortion on Rotten Egg and Ebay.

I was thinking of copping of StockX. A 3070Ti. But then I saw the news Intel was about to release their own video card. And AMD and Nvidia both have new cards as well.

I just copped one of the Ryzens from last year and some RAM.

If dead space is actually scary then I’m down. I played the demo for 2 and the aiming felt weird. The dots to aim also kinda throw me off. Just looks like it’d be annoying see that constantly instead of the one dot Most games have l

Back
Top Bottom