Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

For those new to shooting and are some what clueless in terms of compostion and how to take photos, we were all in your shoes at one point. But one day, aseasoned photographer approached me and said, "Make your pictures tell a story..." Ever since that day, I have been so critical of how my picturesturn out and how they will be interpreted. Thus, from me to all who are seeking guidance....."Make your pictures tell a story!"
smokin.gif

Shot this tonight, not too happy with it, could of been sharper. This is straight out of the camera, no editing done besides a crop.
3183577747_565d200240_o.jpg

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

You're getting the 17-40 to replace the kit lens right? While the 17-40 is an excellent lens, the fixed f4 aperture won't be too useful as a walk-around lens since it will perform poorly under low light. It was made as a landscape lens for full-frame but because of it's relatively affordable price as an L lens, a lot of cropped body users have considered it to replace their kit lens. I admittedly considered to pair it up with my 40D but wisely decided to get the EF-S 17-55 instead. I can understand that you want a lens that you can use when you move to full-frame but a year from now is a lot of time. Take into consideration what you're working with right now and just sell and replace when you upgrade. Do not fall into the trap of buying a lens for compatibility when upgrading in the future. I completely agree with jrdnsrnss suggestion of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 if you're on a budget. Another one you can consider is the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. If you really want to stick with Canon though the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS is the cream of the crop for cropped bodies. While it may not work with a full-frame body, it's the best versatile lens Canon offers for the Rebel and XXD series. Because of this it retains a fairly high resale value.

Again, look at what you're working with now and not what you plan to work with in the future. Also, you might find the 40mm maximum focal length a little too short...so unless you don't plan on shooting no flash under low-light, I don't recommend that you get the 17-40. When you do get to full-frame, the 17-40 isn't an ideal walk-around lens anyway. That's the job of "The Tank"...the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L.

Thanks a lot for the help. Budget is somewhat of an issue, but I am looking to get a high quality lens so I am willing to pay for it. I will look into thelenses you suggested. I want a lens with good wide angle capabilities though because that would be useful for my needs. I am pretty much looking for a good"walk around" lens, but i don't mind the 40mm limit on the 17-40. I have many other lenses such as 85mm, 200mm, etc. I think I want to stick withcanon unless i find any great reason to switch lens brand, but i think canon has the best quality lenses for the best quality pics. Are there any other canonlenses you would recommend? The 16-35mm f/2.8L has better low light conditions, but I have read many reviews that say it is not as good and consistant as the17-40. I think the 10-22 is too wide, because i want to be able to take people pics without the distortion.

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

You're getting the 17-40 to replace the kit lens right? While the 17-40 is an excellent lens, the fixed f4 aperture won't be too useful as a walk-around lens since it will perform poorly under low light. It was made as a landscape lens for full-frame but because of it's relatively affordable price as an L lens, a lot of cropped body users have considered it to replace their kit lens. I admittedly considered to pair it up with my 40D but wisely decided to get the EF-S 17-55 instead. I can understand that you want a lens that you can use when you move to full-frame but a year from now is a lot of time. Take into consideration what you're working with right now and just sell and replace when you upgrade. Do not fall into the trap of buying a lens for compatibility when upgrading in the future. I completely agree with jrdnsrnss suggestion of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 if you're on a budget. Another one you can consider is the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. If you really want to stick with Canon though the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS is the cream of the crop for cropped bodies. While it may not work with a full-frame body, it's the best versatile lens Canon offers for the Rebel and XXD series. Because of this it retains a fairly high resale value.

Again, look at what you're working with now and not what you plan to work with in the future. Also, you might find the 40mm maximum focal length a little too short...so unless you don't plan on shooting no flash under low-light, I don't recommend that you get the 17-40. When you do get to full-frame, the 17-40 isn't an ideal walk-around lens anyway. That's the job of "The Tank"...the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L.

Thanks a lot for the help. Budget is somewhat of an issue, but I am looking to get a high quality lens so I am willing to pay for it. I will look into the lenses you suggested. I want a lens with good wide angle capabilities though because that would be useful for my needs. I am pretty much looking for a good "walk around" lens, but i don't mind the 40mm limit on the 17-40. I have many other lenses such as 85mm, 200mm, etc. I think I want to stick with canon unless i find any great reason to switch lens brand, but i think canon has the best quality lenses for the best quality pics. Are there any other canon lenses you would recommend? The 16-35mm f/2.8L has better low light conditions, but I have read many reviews that say it is not as good and consistant as the 17-40. I think the 10-22 is too wide, because i want to be able to take people pics without the distortion.

Stick with whatever you feel is best but don't limit yourself to strictly Canon lenses. Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma make some excellent lenses, depending onwhich ones your looking at.

^Thanks I will defentaly look into them and read some reviews. I hope to rent a couple lenses to compare. That really seems like the only way I can be sure Iam getting the one I like the most. I will probably just rent from my local camera store, but does anyone know of any cheap/easy places online to rent from?

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Shot this tonight, not too happy with it, could of been sharper. This is straight out of the camera, no editing done besides a crop.
Did you use a 70-300? Besides the crop, one of the reasons why the image isn't sharp or completely focused is because the lens might not havethe ability to focus at infinity. I never owned that lens so I'm not sure. Looking at the image though, it just might be due to the crop. Is it at 100%?

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

^Thanks I will defentaly look into them and read some reviews. I hope to rent a couple lenses to compare. That really seems like the only way I can be sure I am getting the one I like the most. I will probably just rent from my local camera store, but does anyone know of any cheap/easy places online to rent from?
Check out http://www.photozone.de/canon-eoshttp://www.photozone.de/canon-eos for lens reviews. They're tested with cropped sensor bodies so the reviews aremore relevant to you.

I'm really close to passing out and I have an early flight to catch tomorrow. I'll try and do it once I get to Chicago, k? I don't want to give mythoughts when my brain is kinda half asleep right now.

I'm really close to passing out and I have an early flight to catch tomorrow. I'll try and do it once I get to Chicago, k? I don't want to give my thoughts when my brain is kinda half asleep right now.
laugh.gif
, ok .

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Did you use a 70-300? Besides the crop, one of the reasons why the image isn't sharp or completely focused is because the lens might not have the ability to focus at infinity. I never owned that lens so I'm not sure. Looking at the image though, it just might be due to the crop. Is it at 100%?

Yeah i used my budget zoom Sigma 70-300, by no means a great lens at all, ive had it since my film SLR days. One of its flaws is fairly softimages between the 200-300mm end so that alone is a reason. Yeah the crop is 100% which is another reason. A better lens with more reach or a teleconverterwould of helped but don't have either.

yeah but I looked on the last page and saw what type. I still wanna shoot with my film camera.

Here are some of my first pics(newb)
embarassed.gif

30m7cqw.jpg

aacgh3.jpg

8vq3pg.jpg

Originally Posted by nyrican23

Can anyone give me some tips on shooting at night?

Keep the ISO down. It's better to be patient than to have a noisy shot.
ALWAYS have a tripod or steady surface to take shots because if you hand hold it, I guarantee it won't come out as good. Also, it would help if you had aremote for your camera, or used self timer so you don't shake the camera unnecessarily when you press the shutter button.
Like yamakazi said a few pages back, bring a flashlight to help with your autofocus if you don't want to manual focus.
Also, be creative. Long exposures are fun and you can do alot of crazy things. Don't be afraid to experiment.

can someone recommend me a nice zoom/standard lens?

i'm looking for an 18-200 but i dont have that kind of money. i can only spend about $300-$400 on it.

because i just sold my beat 18-55kit for $50 lol.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by nyrican23

Can anyone give me some tips on shooting at night?

Keep the ISO down. It's better to be patient than to have a noisy shot.
ALWAYS have a tripod or steady surface to take shots because if you hand hold it, I guarantee it won't come out as good. Also, it would help if you had a remote for your camera, or used self timer so you don't shake the camera unnecessarily when you press the shutter button.
Like yamakazi said a few pages back, bring a flashlight to help with your autofocus if you don't want to manual focus.
Also, be creative. Long exposures are fun and you can do alot of crazy things. Don't be afraid to experiment.
even tho i didnt ask that question, that helped me out a lot man! haha
ive been trying to get this shot for like a week but it keeps turning out terrible... i suppose its time to bring out my tripod haha

Originally Posted by mjbetch

can someone recommend me a nice zoom/standard lens?

i'm looking for an 18-200 but i dont have that kind of money. i can only spend about $300-$400 on it.

because i just sold my beat 18-55kit for $50 lol.
The new 18-105mm VR that comes with the D90 kit is a good lens. It costs around $300.

Took some pictures of a car crash scene today... Randomly drove around there and had my camera with me. Sent pictures to 3 three newspapers. So far 2 of themhave called me and want to use them. Other one is the biggest newspapper of our country. I honestly had little problems with my conscience because a 16 yearold girl died
tired.gif

quick question
when you guys editing in ps, which edits are a must other than sharpness? and what else do you usually adjust?

Back
Top Bottom