Official PITTSBURGH STEELERS 2012 Season Thread (7-5): Week 14 vs Chargers

Steelers Depot says rumors state Rainey may have a broken rib & a punctured lunch. Some reader comments suggest some Giants players speared him...is that true?

I don't recall a dirty hit on that play. it almost looked like he pulled a hammy or something because he kinda stopped running right before he got hit. then I saw it was something in the midsection so I thought he had an abdominal strain. he looked like he was in pain though. hopefully he's ok. he was having an awesome game on those returns.

I went & looked at the DVR recording of the game & didn't see anything dirty with Rainey getting hit. Proly just stupid fans taking stupidly.

Some thoughts about the win yesterday-
- I still can't wrap my head at how bad the officiating yesterday. The missed tuck rule call I can sorta understand. But the pass interference call on Keenan Lewis & the so-called helmet to helmet call Ryan Clark in the end zone was atrocious. Mike Pereira even disagreed with the bad calls.

- Speaking of which, Keenan Lewis is continuing to play well. So is the rest of the secondary & the defense. We really needed it. Forcing 3 straight 3 & outs in the 4th quarter yesterday was huge. Steeler D has been playing really well in the 4th quarter the last 3 games.

- I think the unsung hero for the win yesterday was the return game from Rainey & Sanders. They put our offense in great position all game. We still need to cut out the got damn penalties though. Pope's penalty killed a what could've been a great return.

- Mike Adams didn't play so well yesterday but the rook went against one of the most scariest d-lines in the league. Even though he allowed 2 sacks, I'm ok with it as long as he uses it to better himself. He needs to really develop skill/technique if he wants to maximize his potential.

- I was fine with the fake field goal yesterday. Aside from the officiating, the team was playing well & Tomlin played the odds & knew if we missed we were still close.

Here's the rest of the schedule for this season-

- 11/12/12 - Cheifs @ Steelers (8:30PM)
- 11/18/12 - ratbirds @ Steelers (8:20PM)
- 11/25/12 - Steelers @ Browns (1:00PM)
- 12/2/12 - Steelers @ ratbirds (4:25PM)
- 12/9/12 - Chargers @ Steelers (1:00PM)
- 12/16/12 - Steelers @ Cowboys (4:25PM)
- 12/23/12 - Bengals @ Steelers (1:00PM)
- 12/30/12 - Browns @ Steelers (1:00PM)

Well damn, Steelers D ranks 1st in Total Defense (YPG), first in Passing (YPG), & 7th in Rushing (YPG)...Offensively Steelers are 13th in Total Offense (YPG), 10th in Passing (YPG), & 21st in Rushing (YPG). Not bad for the first half of the season...

Great story about the Maras & the Rooneys. For those of you that don't know, Giants exec Timothy Christopher Mara has been married to Kathleen McNulty (one of the Rooney grandchildren). Together they have a couple of kids one of which is Rooney Mara who starred in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers...t-nfl-son-family-wellington-tim#axzz2BN82XWr2

Rooney-Mara relationship shaped Steelers, Giants and NFL

They are the First Family of the NFL.

Relying on multi-generational knowledge of the league and how to succeed through astute drafting, excellent coaching and strong management, the family’s team already has won two Super Bowls in this young century.

The franchise was founded by a sports legend with gambling ties — something that wouldn’t be permitted today — who was succeeded by his son, and both became members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The on-field leader is a star quarterback drafted in 2004. And to add a dash of glamour, a franchise valued at more than $1 billion includes a movie producer in the ownership group.

When the Steelers play the New York Giants late Sunday afternoon, it will be yet another showcase for a team that emerged from the NFL’s dark ages, when the league was a mere blip on the nation’s sports radar, fourth or fifth in interest behind baseball, college football, boxing and maybe even college basketball.
But the team’s family ownership persevered and was rewarded as the sport evolved and prospered beyond all expectations, even spawning an unofficial national holiday: Super Sunday.

Obviously it will be another great day for the Rooneys.

Or is it the Maras?

Or both?

Just as the Rooneys and the Steelers are synonymous in Pittsburgh, so are the Maras and the Giants in New York. Neither franchise has played a game without a Rooney or a Mara in charge — the Giants have played 1,217 games, the Steelers 1,083 — and it is unimaginable to think either ever will.

‘GOES BACK TO THE BEGINNING’
Everything the Steelers are came about, in part, because of the friendship between Giants founder Tim Mara and Steelers founder Art Rooney, a tip and a tipped pass.

“The relationship between the Rooneys and the Maras goes back to the beginning,” Steelers president Art Rooney II said. “My grandfather and Tim Mara were good friends and got through the hard times together.”

With the fledgling NFL desperate for a big-city franchise in 1925 (teams at the time were in cities such as Pottsville, Pa.; Frankford, Pa.; Hammond, Ind.; and Duluth, Minn.), Tim Mara — a bookmaker since age 18 — spent $500 to put a team in New York. Today, the Giants are worth about $1.3 billion.

It was a game day to game day proposition to make ends meet, and the Giants often didn’t. Mara’s friend, Pittsburgh gambler Art Rooney, encountered the same fate eight years later after he put up $2,500 for a Pittsburgh franchise.

Both teams tried to hire big names to prop up the gate. The Giants landed an over-the-hill Jim Thorpe; the Steelers, known then as the Pirates, signed a college whiz running back named Byron “Whizzer” White.

Rooney’s fortunes turned when a tip by Mara paid off with a $50,000 payday that Rooney parlayed into more than $300,000, moving from track to track during one of the most spectacular sprees of betting in horse racing history.

It was so much money that Rooney hired an armored truck to bring his haul back to Pittsburgh. The actual amount was never disclosed, but it set up the Rooneys for life. Factoring in inflation, $350,000 in 1936 would be $5.7 million today.

Out of respect for a friend whose bookmaking business he wounded by winning such an enormous bet, Art Sr. later named his son Tim after Mara. Tim Rooney, fittingly, went on to run part of the family’s horse racing business, and his daughter, Kathleen, married current-day Giants player evaluation vice president Chris Mara.

That bet wasn’t the only Mara family transaction that aided the Rooneys.

In 1970, with the Giants now being run by Tim Mara’s son, Wellington Mara, and his nephew, Timothy J. Mara, the team dealt middle linebacker Henry Davis and a little-known running back drafted in the 11th round the year before to Pittsburgh for backup quarterback **** Shiner.

Shiner threw only 12 passes that season, but running back Frenchy Fuqua gained nearly 3,000 yards in seven Steelers season and, even more significantly, was the point man for the Immaculate Reception.

Had Fuqua not streamed out of the backfield to occupy Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum’s attention, causing Terry Bradshaw to throw the ball his way rather than toward intended receiver Barry Pearson, the greatest play in pro football history wouldn’t have happened.

Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney, who counts the Maras among his closest friends, credits the Immaculate Reception with changing everything about the Steelers, including their perception of being the NFL’s version of the can’t-win Cubs.

SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP
Over the years, the Rooneys and Maras have been much more than friendly rival owners.

“My dad many years ago started to sit beside Wellington at league meetings, and that continues today,” Art Rooney II said. “We go to a league meeting, you sit with the Giants and you compare notes on things. It’s been a great relationship and something that’s a special part of being in the National Football League.”
In 1961, Art Rooney Sr. and son Dan twisted the arms of brothers Wellington and Jack Mara to convince them that a national TV contract in which the clubs split the revenues equally was best for the league. It was a huge concession for the Maras because the New York TV rights were worth many times more than those in Green Bay.

Eight years later, Wellington Mara, in turn, persuaded the Rooneys and Browns owner Art Modell to make the move from the National Conference — the NFL — to the merged American Conference, the former AFL. It was a switch Dan Rooney initially despised.

“Wellington was one of the people that influenced my dad that this was going to be OK, and we’d survive and still be friends,” Rooney II said.

In 1976, Wellington Mara appointed Dan Rooney as chief labor negotiator with the players’ union; Mara, Rooney and players union chief Gene Upshaw overcame differences — such as the 1982 strike — to reach labor deal after labor deal.

In recognition of how their astute decisions influenced the NFL, Art Sr. and Dan Rooney and Tim and Wellington Mara are the only father-son pairs to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Today, Art II runs the Steelers on a day-to-day basis, and John Mara, the oldest of Wellington’s 11 children, and Steve Tisch are the Giants’ co-owners. The Tisch family, which has ties to the movie business, acquired Timothy J. Mara’s 50 percent stake in 1991.

The Rooneys added minority owners in 2006 — among them movie producer Thomas Tull, who recently increased his stake to avoid having to sell the team. That was two years after the Giants and Steelers dipped into the 2004 draft pool to grab their leaders, quarterbacks Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

There’s another movie connection, too: Rooney Mara, daughter of Giants player evaluation vice president Chris Mara and Kathleen Rooney Mara, was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress last year. Her sister, Kate, also is an actress.

Rooney Mara. What a perfect name for the child of two families so closely tied for so many decades — first by gambling, then by football, now by blood.

The NFL’s two First Families.

Last edited:
I went back & watched the game again & I noticed that Ben looked like he decided who his target was going to be pre-snap & missed some open receivers. Not sure if this was due to being worried about the Giants pass rush. Wallace finished the game ok stat wise but the drop he had just before halftime was bad. He has 5 drops for the year so far tied for 8th in most drops so far this season...

I was at the game in NJ. It didn't look like Ben decided pre-snap, but I haven't a replay of it either (which replays on NFL Network at 8pm). Fights broke out after the silly fake fg attempt.

Anyone know when Troy will be back

I'm good bruh. :pimp:

Haven't really been around as much lol.

Looks like Brown is already out vs the Chiefs. I'm confident in Sanders tho

^ Don't forget Cotchery...Looks like the Steelers are also going to target the ratbird game for the return of Troy & Gilbert...

Man, having watched that game again I can say the o-line is really playing well (pass protect & run blocking). I mean Ben hasn't been sacked much at all & the running game has really flourished. Mike Adams got beat a couple of times playing the Giants but he's coming along ok. What was a glaring weakness as the season started has become a strength. Kudos to o-line coach Sean Kugler & RB coach Kirb...So glad coach Kirb is back & doing well...Look at what that man is doing with our backs...

Check out the ESPN feature on coach Kirb....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8371781

Last edited:
And they're nasty, reminds me of when Faneca was there. I like it. Better not have a let down vs KC, they've surprised Pitt before :smh:

Last edited:
Visiting Pittsburgh next week and got my hands on tickets for the Steelers/Ravens game. My first NFL game, hopefully the Steelers don't disappoint. even though I have the Ravens defence lol :lol:

And they're nasty, reminds me of when Faneca was there. I like it. Better not have a let down vs KC, they've surprised Pitt before :smh:

I looove Colon being so salty & Pouncey always plays with a mean streak...I love that guy...He's turning into another leader for the squad....

Yo daheadbanda, that's a helluva first game to go to. Hope you have fun. Take some pics & post 'em in here...

i avoid going to ravens games when the steelers come to town, because i always get too riled up...i'm not about that life though.

i think the steelers are pretty confident they can handle the chiefs so they're resting anyone up that really needs it and hoping they'll be good to go for the ravens game.

well, that was probably as bad as it could possibly get last night. pulled out a win in OT, but the matchup, on paper never, should have been that close. we should know the extent of ben's injury within the next few hours. early reports say it's serious and he could be out for "a while"...don't know if that means a few weeks or the season, but hopefully it's the former...

short week to prepare for the ravens. i sadly don't even know who the official backup qb is. i think i heard it's charlie batch, but i don't even know if he's going to be able to play next week. hopefully our run defense can pick it up and stop ray rice from going off and our pass defense can keep playing solid. i feel like torrey smith always has at least one huge reception everytime i sit and watch a ravens game. polamalu might be back which could be nice, but i wonder what ryan clark's status will be after leaving with a concussion in consecutive games now.

just hoping for the best moving forward, because it defintely looked like we were getting things back on track before last night.

the way the ravens have been playing on the road gives us a chance. if we can get the run game going, it should open up the pass a bit and hopefully we can expose their depleted secondary. at the same time, our secondary has to continue playing solid and not allow any big plays from flacco to smith.

unfortunately, I've got flag football playoff games tonight at 8 and 10 so I really won't be able to watch...:rolleyes I'm gonna try to stream it from one of those websites to one of my friends droids since they have flash, but we'll see how that goes...

It's getting down right comical at this point.

Leftwich out with two broken ribs. Batch will start vs Browns.

Polamalu still out, God knows when he'll be back, same with Ben.

Plaxico Burress will likely be signed soon, with Antonio Brown and Cotchery out.

We live and die with Ben.  Hopefully we can go 10-6/9-7 and get the last wildcard.  Losing to Oak/Tenn/Den/Cle really hurt us with the tiebreakers. 

I looove Colon being so salty & Pouncey always plays with a mean streak...I love that guy...He's turning into another leader for the squad....
Yo daheadbanda, that's a helluva first game to go to. Hope you have fun. Take some pics & post 'em in here...

sorry for being a few weeks late, but I finally had time now after all the travelling I did the past couple of weeks

View media item 149035
wish I didn't have to see Leftwich but fun game none the less... love that I went from seeing this game to the crappy Bills/Jags game this weekend lol

Back
Top Bottom