***Official Political Discussion Thread***

sorry if this was already addressed in here but in case anybody was worried about the cnn article today about Chuck and Turtle "sharing" power:

The CNN headline wasn’t false. They are nearing a power-sharing agreement similar to what was in place in the Senate under Bush.

The fact that people didn’t understand what that meant doesn’t make CNN’s headline false.

McConnell, Schumer close in on power-sharing agreement in evenly divided Senate

The Last Day
tenor.gif

dwalk31 dwalk31 still waiting on your thoughts on this and not someone else to define them for you

I didn’t know you wanted my thoughts. My mistake.

I disagree with many of the conclusions that I’ve seen so far in the report.

I also think its release on MLK day was trash.

What are your thoughts?

I didn’t know you wanted my thoughts. My mistake.

I disagree with many of the conclusions that I’ve seen so far in the report.

I also think its release on MLK day was trash.

What are your thoughts?

that a racist president that you supported and defended for years and voted for twice in spite of the 50 years worth of evidence that you were well aware of because you have been reminded countless times in here decided to again do something racist and defend other racist on a day which should have been focused towards the celebration of a great black American man

MAYBE for once in his life, your boy should have used the time and money wasted on that garbage to try and aspire to be like a black man for once considering what day yesterday was

or he could have tried to actually learn something and actually read the project that was developed by a black woman

that a racist president that you supported and defended for years and voted for twice in spite of the 50 years worth of evidence that you were well aware of because you have been reminded countless times in here decided to again do something racist and defend other racist on a day which should have been focused towards the celebration of a great black American man

MAYBE for once in his life, your boy should have used the time and money wasted on that garbage to try and aspire to be like a black man for once considering what day yesterday was

or he could have tried to actually learn something and actually read the project that was developed by a black woman

I did support President Trump twice. And I acknowledged my mistake in that.

But you don’t know who I voted for, so I’m not sure why you insist on saying that I voted for him twice.

Did anyone else take the time to read through “The 1776 Commission’s Report”? It weighs in at a meager 33 pages (including appendix) and reads like Tucker Carlson’s American History term paper.

No matter how eager we may be to turn the page on this catastrophic administration, the sheer impudence of releasing this on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day should not get lost in the shuffle:

AF4A632D-F431-4F4E-B270-BDFDAB5703C1.jpeg

AE78D53D-D4CE-42C4-B693-457B49CC4FE8.jpeg

In essence, this report does to American history what Trump's mob did to the Capitol Building. It's difficult to fathom a greater affront to the legacy of Dr. King than a Presidential Commission, in the year 2021, comparing him, and his contemporaries, to John C. Calhoun, and, as if that weren't despicable enough, claiming that compensatory or redistributive policies designed to foster social justice and equality run contrary to "Dr. King's hopes." Why not just take smiling selfies on the Lorraine Motel Balcony while you're at it?

For reference: in his 1964 book, Why We Can’t Wait, King unequivocally states that, “it is impossible to create a formula for the future which does not take into account that our society has been doing something special against the Negro for hundreds of years. How then can he be absorbed into the mainstream of American life if we do not do something special for him now, in order to balance the equation and equip him to compete on an equal basis?” He adds, "whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask for nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race three hundred years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up with his fellow runner."

For those whose research expands beyond brainyquote.com, Dr. King's position on this issue could not be clearer. An interviewer for Playboy magazine broached the subject directly: “Along with other civil rights leaders, you have often proposed a massive program of economic aid, financed by the federal government, to improve the lot of the nation’s twenty million Negroes. Just one of the projects you’ve mentioned, however – the HARYOU-ACT program to provide jobs for Negro youths – is expected to cost 141 million dollars over the next ten years, and that includes only Harlem. A nationwide program such as you propose would undoubtedly run into the billions.” Dr. King responded by clarifying, “About fifty billion, actually – which is less than one year of our present defense spending. It is my belief that with the expenditure of this amount, over a ten-year period, a genuine and dramatic transformation could be achieved in the conditions of Negro life in America.”

Then there's the caption's implication that there was only one "Civil Rights March on Washington." The sheer disrespect of this section is difficult to overstate.

As if that weren't heinous enough, the report also manages to whitewash slavery:

The most common charge levelled against the founders, and hence against our country itself, is that they were hypocrites who didn’t believe in their stated principles, and therefore the country they built rests on a lie. This charge is untrue, and has done enormous damage, especially in recent years, with a devastating effect on our civic unity and social fabric. Many Americans labor under the illusion that slavery was somehow a uniquely American evil. It is essential to insist at the outset that the institution be seen in a much broader perspective. It is very hard for people brought up in the comforts of modern America, in a time in which the idea that all human beings have inviolable rights and inherent dignity is almost taken for granted, to imagine the cruelties and enormities that were endemic in earlier times. But the unfortunate fact is that the institution of slavery has been more the rule than the exception throughout human history.

While slavery was not, itself, unique to America, White Americans developed a racial caste system to facilitate and justify the institution of slavery. (The legal mechanisms of which were drawn upon by the Nazis: see Hitler's American Model: The United States and the Making of Nazi Race Law (2017), by James Q. Whitman.) This is less an account of history than a whiny teenager's excuse for breaking curfew. "All the other countries were doing it! I hate it here! Brazil's mom and dad let him do whatever he wants!"

The report's loathsome authors go on to pat the U.S. on the back from eventually and begrudgingly calling an end to slavery after nearly annihilating the union and its population over it: " Indeed, the movement to abolish slavery that first began in the United States [emphasis theirs] led the way in bringing about the end of legal slavery."

Here in reality, we know that the U.S. was nowhere near the first nation to abolish - or initiate a movement to abolish - slavery, lagging far behind, among many other nations, Mexico, Haiti, Denmark. France, and the United Kingdom. Even when it was finally ratified, the Thirteenth Amendment, as we all by now know, notably included an exception for criminal punishment.

But wait: there's more! They devoted an entire section in this deranged diatribe to bashing America's universities:

E3177161-467C-48A2-BF67-6EC554A854A2.jpeg

I won't further belabor the point, but if you care at all about history, pedagogy, or the competing visions for the future of our society vis-à-vis its understanding of the past, you unfortunately need to read this abomination for yourself before it is justifiably scoured from the White House website: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conte...nts-Advisory-1776-Commission-Final-Report.pdf

It's everything you'd expect, save for the sharpie. Think Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, only with military school poised as a reward rather than a punishment. It makes Inside the NBA's celebration of Dr. King look respectful, substantive, and dignified by comparison.
The timing of its release cannot reasonably be considered accidental, representing an affront to Black Americans in particular and fundamental human decency in general.

I'll return you now to the excruciating inauguration countdown, already in progress:

Did anyone else take the time to read through “The 1776 Commission’s Report”? It weighs in at a meager 33 pages (including appendix) and reads like Tucker Carlson’s American History term paper.

No matter how eager we may be to turn the page on this catastrophic administration, the sheer impudence of releasing this on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day should not get lost in the shuffle:

AF4A632D-F431-4F4E-B270-BDFDAB5703C1.jpeg

AE78D53D-D4CE-42C4-B693-457B49CC4FE8.jpeg

In essence, this report does to American history what Trump's mob did to the Capitol Building. It's difficult to fathom a greater affront to the legacy of Dr. King than a Presidential Commission, in the year 2021, comparing him, and his contemporaries, to John C. Calhoun, and, as if that weren't despicable enough, claiming that compensatory or redistributive policies designed to foster social justice and equality run contrary to "Dr. King's hopes." Why not just take smiling selfies on the Lorraine Hotel Balcony while you're at it?

For reference: in his 1964 book, Why We Can’t Wait, King unequivocally states that, “it is impossible to create a formula for the future which does not take into account that our society has been doing something special against the Negro for hundreds of years. How then can he be absorbed into the mainstream of American life if we do not do something special for him now, in order to balance the equation and equip him to compete on an equal basis?” He adds, "whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask for nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race three hundred years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up with his fellow runner."

For those whose research expands beyond brainyquote.com, Dr. King's position on this issue could not be clearer. An interviewer for Playboy magazine broached the subject directly: “Along with other civil rights leaders, you have often proposed a massive program of economic aid, financed by the federal government, to improve the lot of the nation’s twenty million Negroes. Just one of the projects you’ve mentioned, however – the HARYOU-ACT program to provide jobs for Negro youths – is expected to cost 141 million dollars over the next ten years, and that includes only Harlem. A nationwide program such as you propose would undoubtedly run into the billions.” Dr. King responded by clarifying, “About fifty billion, actually – which is less than one year of our present defense spending. It is my belief that with the expenditure of this amount, over a ten-year period, a genuine and dramatic transformation could be achieved in the conditions of Negro life in America.”

Then there's the caption's implication that there was only one "Civil Rights March on Washington." The sheer disrespect of this section is difficult to overstate.

As if that weren't heinous enough, the report also manages to whitewash slavery:

While slavery was not, itself, unique to America, White Americans developed a racial caste system to facilitate and justify the institution of slavery. (The legal mechanisms of which were drawn upon by the Nazis: see Hitler's American Model: The United States and the Making of Nazi Race Law (2017), by James Q. Whitman.) This is less an account of history than a whiny teenager's excuse for breaking curfew. "All the other countries were doing it! I hate it here! Brazil's mom and dad let him do whatever he wants!"

The report's loathsome authors go on to pat the U.S. on the back from eventually and begrudgingly calling an end to slavery after nearly annihilating the union and its population over it: " Indeed, the movement to abolish slavery that first began in the United States [emphasis theirs] led the way in bringing about the end of legal slavery."

Here in reality, we know that the U.S. was nowhere near the first nation to abolish - or initiate a movement to abolish - slavery, lagging far behind, among many other nations, Mexico, Haiti, Denmark. France, and the United Kingdom. Even when it was finally ratified, the Thirteenth Amendment, as we all by now know, notably included an exception for criminal punishment.

But wait: there's more! They devoted an entire section in this deranged diatribe to bashing America's universities:

E3177161-467C-48A2-BF67-6EC554A854A2.jpeg

I won't further belabor the point, but if you care at all about history, pedagogy, or the competing visions for the future of our society vis-à-vis its understanding of the past, you unfortunately need to read this abomination for yourself before it is justifiably scoured from the White House website: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conte...nts-Advisory-1776-Commission-Final-Report.pdf

It's everything you'd expect, save for the sharpie. Think Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, only with military school poised as a reward rather than a punishment. It makes Inside the NBA's celebration of Dr. King look respectful, substantive, and dignified by comparison.
The timing of its release cannot reasonably be considered accidental, representing an affront to Black Americans in particular and fundamental human decency in general.

I'll return you now to the excruciating inauguration countdown, already in progress:

im sure it was just another coincidence that they happened to disparage the work of a black woman, belittle slavery, defend slave owners, defend other known racists, defend other seemingly known racist actions and release it on MLK day, which has now been celebrated for over 35 years

without a single historian being involved in the work

maybe dwalk31 dwalk31 can ask someone else how they would define racism to get the answers

without a single historian being involved in the work
That much was obvious.
maybe dwalk31 dwalk31 dwalk31 dwalk31 can ask someone else how they would define racism to get the answers
I guess we'll just have to wait for them all to admit that they're racist. * Le sigh.*

In brighter news:

Live look at Mike Lindell:

mein pillow.gif

Back
Top Bottom