***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I’d be surprised if they didn’t do a coin or something similar eventually. But with a musician and a video, the shoe is a much more appropriate satirical base.
I was alluding to NFTs. Purchasing Nikes en masse and extracting yet more profits from their exploited factory workers may not quite be the wry, subversive satire they think it is.

Corporate.. communism

that word.gif

Well we know why Ben didn't make Trump the catcher:

Trump4.5.jpg

Does this mean that he'll refuse all corporate campaign contributions and support campaign finance reform? Do it, Mitch!

He hasn't really thought the mechanics of his threat through, has he? He can only exact his horrible vengeance on these companies if Republicans return to power - and Republicans can only return to power through voter suppression.
So... stop opposing voter suppression or else we'll suppress votes and then make you suffer?

What's next? Stop gun control or we'll shoot?

As if NIMBYs weren’t causing enough problem on the supply side, institutional investors make housing even more unaffordable from the demand side.

This practice needs to be taxed out of existence. Dealing with NIMBYism needs to be done too but it’s trickier to deal with since it’s easy at the local level to block and/or delay the building of affordable housing. In the meanwhile, free up the housing stock that already exists by using tax policy to make capital stop buying up housing stock and to get them to sell off its housing units that it already owns.

As if NIMBYs weren’t causing enough problem on the supply side, institutional investors make housing even more unaffordable from the demand side.

This practice needs to be taxed out of existence. Dealing with NIMBYism needs to be done too but it’s trickier to deal with since it’s easy at the local level to block and/or delay the building of affordable housing. In the meanwhile, free up the housing stock that already exists by using tax policy to make capital stop buying up housing stock and to get them to sell off its housing units that it already owns.

This just randomly came to mind but speaking of young couples buying housemates. During my nursing education, I had a classmate who managed to buy a nice house from his neighbors for €90k. Absolute robbery. Not even remotely close to its actual value.
Of course nobody believed it at first but he showed proof so now everyone had to know the story.

For a long time, this classmate and his girlfriend did not really interact with these neighbors. He lives in the tiny rural town next to my tiny rural town so a lot of people know eachother. Because of that close proximity and low population, of course there's also quite a rumor mill.
Once he got word that things weren't going too well (understatement) in the marriage of those neighbors' household, my classmate and his girlfriend suddenly tried their hardest to become close friends to their neighbors.
The sole goal of my classmate was to get the inside scoop on when the seemingly inevitable divorce might happen and to ingratiate himself enough to the neighbor that he'd be willing to sell the home to him privately upon the divorce.

Eventually the divorce did happen and the neighbors sold the house to my classmate for €90k, low as hell due to need of a quick influx of money for expensive divorce proceedings.

It's pure scumbaggery considering they didn't like their neighbors at all and all that consoling them through their relationship troubles was just acting but hey it worked and I think it's pure genius :lol: I don't think he ever spoke to those neighbors again after that.

Last edited:
This just randomly came to mind but speaking of young couples buying housemates. During my nursing education, I had a classmate who managed to buy a nice house from his neighbors for €90k. Absolute robbery. Not even remotely close to its actual value.

Except for a long time, he did not really speak to this neighbor. He lives in the tiny rural town next to my tiny rural town so a lot of people know eachother and of course there's also quite a rumor mill. Once he got word that things weren't going to well in the marriage of that household, my classmate and his girlfriend suddenly tried their hardest to become close friends to their neighbors. The sole goal of my classmate was to get the inside scoop on when the seemingly inevitable divorce might happen and to engratiate himself enough to the neighbor that he'd be willing to sell the home to him privately.
Eventually the divorce did happen and the neighbors sold the house to my classmate for €90k, low as hell due to need of a quick influx of money for expensive divorce proceedings.

It's pure scumbaggery considering they didn't like their neighbors at all and all that consoling them through their relationship troubles was just acting but hey it worked :lol: I don't think he ever spoke to those neighbors again.
Halfway through the second paragraph, I thought this story was gonna involve your classmate having an affair with the wife (or husband) which somehow ended up with him getting their house for the low.

Halfway through the second paragraph, I thought this story was gonna involve your classmate having an affair with the wife (or husband) which somehow ended up with him getting their house for the low.
I asked a local real estate agent I know from highschool about the divorce factor in home sale prices and the agency he works for genuinely keeps tabs on the local rumor mill and keeps a file of people who might soon divorce. :lol:
Gotta go what you gotta do I guess.

I was alluding to NFTs. Purchasing Nikes en masse and extracting yet more profits from their exploited factory workers may not quite be the wry, subversive satire they think it is.

I figured. I'm just a step behind and coins are easier for me to remember than NFTs.

Objecting to capitalism's abuse of factory conditions is what a satirical art collective would have done decades ago. To be truly cutting edge, you must focus on the late stage aspects of commerce.

Objecting to capitalism's abuse of factory conditions is what a satirical art collective would have done decades ago. To be truly cutting edge, you must focus on the late stage aspects of commerce.
By re-selling the same product to the same consumers with a few added embellishments at drastically inflated cost?

Take that, late capitalism!

By re-selling the same product to the same consumers with a few added embellishments at drastically inflated cost?

Take that, late capitalism!

I mean, that’s pretty much describes direct satire of the Doir J1s, right? Or if you’re a Borges fan it’s a bit like the Quixote of Pierre Menard?

Despite having purchased a few items from them (for about $20 each), I’m pretty sure that the joke is at least partially on the “customers”. Or maybe more accurately, the “customers” are part of the joke. See: Data Lotto or the fact that a Kardashian purchased one of their stupid Birkinstocks.

The Reddit board is pretty funny as people often express real disgust that the drops don’t allow them to resell for a profit. And I’ve seen articles refer to them as a sportswear company.

That said, despite the resellers, I don’t think it’s all the same consumers. The guy I knew who was most excited about the devil shoe is not into shoes or hype, or even art. But he is hooked on the concept. And he had No interest in wearing, just in participating in this absurd slice of the Zeitgeist. But even that, I think, is part of the joke.

Back
Top Bottom