***Official Political Discussion Thread***

As a purely strategic matter, voting rights are key for 2022 and beyond. Materially making people’s lives better is more of a medium term thing. That takes time to build momentum and a positive feedback loop.

an election is coming up here in Canada,
and they are hammering the left wing party for supporting unreasonable teacher union demands.

I think parents, but moms especially of school aged children are pretty down on political parties they associate with teachers unions.

I’m surprised corps don’t want universal pre K means more workers. Surprising the child tax credit hasn’t been cut but maybe because the donor class can’t ask to remove tax breaks while they cry about paying taxes. Was a little too on the nose for them I guess.

I hate the narrative that white women are someone more progressive or forward thinking than white men. That's bull****. White women for one, typically vote how their spouses vote and two, are just as much responsible for systemic racism as white men. You can argue that some of them are even more openly racist than white men. The issue for dems is that, they are not doing enough to influence minorities to get out and vote. I am 35 and have been voting faithfully since I turned 18. I am even at a place now where I'm skeptical of the dems because of their weakness. Voters got them everything they needed to get things done in the 2020 election; and here we are. Two dems holding up every damn thing. They have really discouraged and disappointed a lot of people this year.

Don’t agree with your whole statement but dems really do come out as rocksteady and bebop when it’s all said and done. Failure after failure. Win or lose they figure out a way to lose. Don’t care if it’s a small group holding them back. Body them the **** out. Wanna sit back and play the nice guy. That **** don’t work here
Dems are basically the LA Clippers they always find a way to lose.

Last edited:

imo this reddit post is totally deranged.

"Virginia' gubernatorial race should have been an easy lay-up for them."

it's not a lay up to hold Virginia governors mansion, post democratic presidential win, in a bad economy and an extended pandemic.
and poor democratic presidential approval.

If you think they could have run someone different fine, but pretending like it should be a layup is silly.

this basically sounds like "democrats just need to run a candidate that I like and they will win"

I’m not buying the reflex to blame a weak candidate. The differences between the two parties are too stark And completely overshadow differences within them. If a voter can’t figure out why the GOP can’t be trusted with power, then we should probably pack it in.

But elections are decided by voters, not citizens . The story of Stacey Abrams heroics and, hence, the story of 2020 was highly organized, grassroots mobilization. Prudence dictates that I should wait to see turnout figures, but I’ll wager that if you got 10% of the dems who stayed home to make the effort, we have a different outcome. some of that is candidate, sure. But a lot of it is just canvassing. i Heard a lot of ads, but didn’t really see a lot of engagement in NoVa.

While I’m dishing out unresearched hot takes, I suspect the swing in white detailed voters has everything to do with the disproportionate hit that women have taken work-wise. It’s not a rational response, and I’m not letting them off the hook for voting against their and my interests, but I do think not enough had been done to mitigate or even address the structural sexism of childcare. In VA. That might be a good takeaway for 2024.

I hate the narrative that white women are someone more progressive or forward thinking than white men. That's bull****. White women for one, typically vote how their spouses vote and two, are just as much responsible for systemic racism as white men. You can argue that some of them are even more openly racist than white men. The issue for dems is that, they are not doing enough to influence minorities to get out and vote. I am 35 and have been voting faithfully since I turned 18. I am even at a place now where I'm skeptical of the dems because of their weakness. Voters got them everything they needed to get things done in the 2020 election; and here we are. Two dems holding up every damn thing. They have really discouraged and disappointed a lot of people this year.
I’m def staying home in 2024.

If you think they could have run someone different fine, but pretending like it should be a layup is silly.

this basically sounds like "democrats just need to run a candidate that I like and they will win"

You and I read a different post because for Me, 90% of his criticism was of the campaign, not the candidate. I’m much closer to VA than you are. The campaign was weak.

You and I read a different post because for Me, 90% of his criticism was of the campaign, not the candidate. I’m much closer to VA than you are. The campaign was weak.

that all sounds good in hindsight. but trying to tar youngkin with Trump seems like a perfectly reasonable strategy in +10 Biden state.

it didn't work, Youngkin was a good enough politician to overcome that.

sometimes you just get beat. the democrats aren't always incompetent.

and if there really is a backlash against teachers unions and school administrators,

a more progressive candidate without the name ID of T-Mac,
those attacks are only going to hit harder.

Seems like there is a large shift toward the GOP happening in NJ too, not just VA

I don't think "Dem incompetence" is the easy explanation for this

Honestly, I feel the best deciding factor for this race, all things considered, was......Delta

It tanked the global economy and that was the #1 issue with voters

Maybe T-Mac still had a path but too many other things worked against him, and he picked the wrong lane to clapback in

that all sounds good in hindsight. but trying to tar youngkin with Trump seems like a perfectly reasonable strategy in +10 Biden state.

it didn't work, Youngkin was a good enough politician to overcome that.

sometimes you just get beat. the democrats aren't always incompetent.

Sure, but the campaign was weak.

Leaning on +10 without attributing some of the margin to Trump’s pandemic response and then failing to understand how that might matter in this election is bad strategy. For the average voter, nothing has been more significant in the last two years than COVID.

I don't think "Dem incompetence" is the easy explanation for this

Honestly, I feel the best deciding factor for this race, all things considered, was......Delta

100 percent agree with the second sentence.

Maybe there was no message on Delta/COVID that could have helped, it I think it was a bit of incompetence not to try. I wasn’t as close to NJ. Do you know if the campaign there addressed the pandemic?

Back
Top Bottom