***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Don't laws "force morality on people?"

We can outlaw racial discrimination, but not teach students about racism?
We can outlaw murder, but not teach students about genocide?

The separation of church and state functions to protect religious freedom.

Were schools to favor or promote the views of certain religions at the expense of others, religious freedom would be constrained - not enhanced.

mRNA vaccines cannot "give people COVID." They do not contain the virus.

How are you not making blanket statements based on your own morality?

"Teaching religion is wrong"

You're against an agnostic person teaching something out of the Bible?

"teaching racism is bad is good"

You're fine with white people in the south teaching racism... Or their version of it?

Who's going to teach kids about the the racism of progressives?

"bernie didn't win because of low information voters in the south"

"black men don't believe jussie because they're anti gay"

How are you not making blanket statements based on your own morality?

"Teaching religion is wrong"

You're against an agnostic person teaching something out of the Bible?

"teaching racism is bad is good"

You're fine with white people in the south teaching racism... Or their version of it?

"bernie didn't win because of low information voters in the south"

I noticed you didn't answer my question.

Just so I'm sure I understand you correctly, is it your position that schools should teach the Christian Bible, but not teach children that racism is bad?
Should schools also teach children the Qur'an?

The belief that religious instruction is better suited to places of worship than public schools is not the same as saying "teaching religion is wrong."
How would you feel if schools taught the Diné Bahaneʼ (creation story), but not the Christian creation story?

If you believe that teaching students the factual history of the "Three-fifths compromise," the Chinese Exclusion Act, Executive Order 9066 effecting Japanese-American internment, the Western Oregon Indian Termination Act, or other infamous examples of institutionalized racism must be counterbalanced by "the racism of progressives", you are the one suggesting that ownership of systemic racism rests solely at the feet of conservatives.

Setting aside your assumption that schools ought to be teaching about Jussie Smollett as an historical figure:

Do you have any evidence to suggest that Black men are significantly more homophobic than White men when controlling for factors like age, religion, and SES - or is this just a negative racial stereotype to which you happen to subscribe?

I noticed you didn't answer my question.

Just so I'm sure I understand you correctly, is it your position that schools should teach the Christian Bible, but not teach children that racism is bad?
Should schools also teach children the Qur'an?

The belief that religious instruction is better suited to places of worship than public schools is not the same as saying "teaching religion is wrong."
How would you feel if schools taught the Diné Bahaneʼ (creation story), but not the Christian creation story?

If you believe that teaching students the factual history of the "Three-fifths compromise," the Chinese Exclusion Act, Executive Order 9066 effecting Japanese-American internment, the Western Oregon Indian Termination Act, or other infamous examples of institutionalized racism must be counterbalanced by "the racism of progressives", you are the one suggesting that ownership of systemic racism rests solely at the feet of conservatives.

Setting aside your assumption that schools ought to be teaching about Jussie Smollett as an historical figure:

Do you have any evidence to suggest that Black men are significantly more homophobic than White men when controlling for factors like age, religion, and SES - or is this just a negative racial stereotype to which you happen to subscribe?

I don't think it's okay to teach the Bible

I don't think people should be trying to force their views on morality on others

I don't trust progressives to teach their "non racist" views on kids and their in lies the problem... WHO GETS TO DECIDE WHATS OKAY TO TEACH ABOUT RACISM?

If you think it's ok to teach kids that standing up for gay people means it's okay to accuse black men of being anti gay, that's up to you

Im not okay with progressives trying to force their beliefs on people hence my comparisons to religious fanatics

I don't think people should be trying to force their views on morality on others
Again: Don't laws "force morality on people?"

Teaching students about the cruelty that slaveholders inflicted upon those they held captive imparts too much of a moral slant for your taste?

Im not okay with progressives trying to force their beliefs on people
Is the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dred Scott v. Sanford a “belief” or is it a fact?

Again: Don't laws "force morality on people?"

Teaching students about the cruelty that slaveholders inflicted upon those they held captive imparts too much of a moral slant for your taste?

Is the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dred Scott v. Sanford a “belief” or is it a fact?

"I see you didnt answer my question"

Who gets to decide what gets taught about racism?

Obviously progressives have a problem with the district themselves deciding, so who?

The board of education? The supreme Court? Who?

So in lieu of defending your “you can’t force morality” argument, you’re pivoting to “states’ rights?”

Why does that sound familiar?

Funny how states rights are so important when Donald trump is in office

It's not a pivot, it's all related

I'm not ok with people trying to impose their morality in others

But if we take a step back and say it's ok, then who gets to decide what is morally acceptable to teach in regards to racism

It's all related, no one is pivoting

Morality for "laws" as in laws that punish criminals?

What does punishing criminals have to do with teaching racism?

Laws undeniably "impose morality on people," do they not?

You cannot define "criminals" without the application of some moral standard. That stealing is wrong represents a moral belief.

Laws undeniably "impose morality on people," do they not?

You cannot define "criminals" without the application of some moral standard. That stealing is wrong represents a moral belief.

Those moral laws you refer to are about deterring and punishing criminals

We're talking about teaching racism in schools and you're trying to somehow tie it to punishing criminals

What is going on in Florida is not about forcing conservative parents to buy their kids books on racism. It was to about laws the GOP is trying to pass...

Running your mouth complaining about progressives forcing their morality on people, when it is conservatives that are trying to do it

Being loud, proud, and low information

Oh great

Some vocabulary technical argument

Let's continue to venture off from the original tweet

I'm fine with conservative parents not buying their kids books on racism

Are you not?

You’re veering pretty far from your original argument now, but at least you’re dropping the phony pretense.

Deciding that racism doesn’t deserve to be taught in public schools isn’t to take a neutral stance on racism.

Supporters of this proposed law are taking the position that American history matters except where it describes the events that have shaped racial inequality in our society, which ought to go unmentioned due to the possibility that it might make some White people uncomfortable.

This seems to suggest that White people’s feelings are more important than those of other Americans, as well as the need for all students to receive a basic grasp of some of the most formative events in American history.

(Incidentally: if someone implied that you were too fragile to handle a factual account of the nation’s history, wouldn’t that make you uncomfortable?)

Back
Top Bottom