***Official Political Discussion Thread***

A compelling argument:

To protect property and serve White Supremacy.

The Texas Rangers were originally formed to protect the King ranch who had, in violation of the treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, illegally seized the land of formerly Mexican land-owners by refusing to acknowledge land grants - some of which dated back to Spain.

Treaties are, of course, akin to constitutional law.

Free speech has long had limitations.

But that has little to do with my post. We have a poster talking about a sitting Governor being pushed down a flight of steps followed by a post about a sitting US Senator being beat.

My narrow question is at what point do those types of posts cross the line to a see something say something post.

We see at the end of all these mass casualty events online postings that, in retrospect, seem to signal certain behavior.
By rule, NikeTalk prohibits posts that seek to encourage or aid illegal/unethical activities. Examples of content so prohibited include media piracy, violent threats, or defrauding an emergency government lending program. If you come across any post(s) you believe to be in violation of this rule, you're encouraged to use the accompanying report link to bring it to the attention of our moderation team.

Any content removed from public view on our forums may remain in our system and could be shared in compliance with legal requests as specified in our privacy policy: https://niketalk.com/help/privacy-policy/

A little over 20 years ago, Texas deregulated its energy market. And Texas is not unique in that; deregulation obviously has been kind of the story of American policy for decades. And it came to the electricity market in Texas, as it did to other states. But in Texas, it took a form that we do not see anywhere else. Essentially, they created a competitive market where supply and demand are the rule of the day. There’s no one power company that you go to, like there is in a lot of the country. You get these competing electric providers. But the real thing that makes Texas unique is that it is what they call an “energy-only market.”

In other parts of the country, a power plant, also known as a generator, gets paid to be around in case they’re needed. But in Texas, in an attempt to create this kind of perfect competitive market, they said, “No, you’re only going to make money by selling electricity at the time that it is needed, at its time of use.” So our generators only make money selling power on the market.

When you take that approach and you couple it with the law of supply and demand, what you’re doing is you’re creating a system that is run on scarcity. The less electricity that is available, the more expensive it will be. So in our market, we created a system where power plant operators make their margins by relying on moments of extreme scarcity that will drive up the price of electricity. And this will be their big payday. These moments may only come a handful of times a year but this is where you make your money.

Proponents of this market said that it incentivizes efficiency. Like, you cut out all the fat, and you don’t have any electricity generators that are getting paid to just sit around. They would claim that that creates an efficient market. The reality, though, is that when you need extra power on hand, you have less of it available.

These people :smh:

Neel Dhanesha​

Let’s say Texas did join one of the larger grids on the eastern or western interconnect. Texas generates a lot of energy, so I imagine it could potentially help other states when things are running smoothly. But would the other states be able to keep up with the sort of demand Texas would bring?

Mose Buchele​

[Laughs] I’ve heard the argument that’s like, why would anyone want to link up with a basket case like the Texas grid? And the way that this would work would be that the power would first go closer to the source first if it was needed. You wouldn’t export power to Texas and leave people in the state of origin freezing.

The frustrating thing for a lot of people that I talk to is that we are a wind juggernaut, and we often have more wind power than we can use. We’re also in a part of the country where that power could be pushed out to answer the energy needs of other states. And people could make a ton of money in Texas by pushing that energy out when we don’t need it. The reluctance to do that seems to transcend economics because it is a huge business opportunity for the state that we’re passing up on.

Neel Dhanesha​

Okay, so connecting Texas to the larger grid could help prevent blackouts and potentially even push more renewable energy out into the rest of the country. That’s the big one. Are there any other fixes that you would want to see?

Mose Buchele​

I don’t want to be too techno-utopian about this, but investing in things like battery storage that would allow us to make renewable energy more dispatchable seems like a no-brainer. Building out solar is huge because we usually use the most electricity in the summer. And the conditions that drive that high energy use (i.e. the state being baked by the sun) are the exact same conditions that create a ton of solar electricity. So that seems like a pretty obvious one to try to meet that super-high demand.

Another thing is energy efficiency. The energy efficiency goals in Texas are lower than most other states, and increasing our energy efficiency goals and programs would really help with grid reliability, because it would decrease the spikes in demand. I’m thinking of everything from insulation to more efficient appliances to energy efficiency at power plants, because it takes so much energy to produce power or drill for oil. If you have a better-insulated home, you’re just not going to be running the AC the same amount even on a hot day, so in aggregate it can make a huge difference statewide. And it’s so much cheaper than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom