***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Ohh it has nothing to do with like 80% of our chips coming from there or allowing them to maintain independent democracy. Between the Ukraine thread and sometimes here I’m at loss lately.
I don't think people grasp the **** show that will happen if China gets a hold of Taiwan before we develop the capacity to produce chips outside of there.

China provides most of the rare earth metals that we use in electric motors, and the chips from Taiwan are in every piece of electronics you can think of. Let them have both, and we're going back to the petrol lamp and the horse, or we stay with gasoline cars, coal powered plants, and everything that comes with consuming more and more oil products.

Old men dream of youth and often embarrass themselves in its pursuit. Many younger people in the Democratic Party seem to think Joe Biden’s already out the door. Gavin Newsom isn’t just measuring for curtains; he’s packing the U-Haul. But Biden’s never been a quitter, and his great optimism has helped him survive the tragedies that have befallen him. He very well might want to run again, which would be a disaster.

In the middle of his second term, Barack Obama invited Ruth Bader Ginsburg to the White House for lunch. His plan was to gently suggest the possibility of her retiring before he left office, so that there would be no chance of her seat going to a conservative. She was then 85 and had had cancer five times. Nothing doing. She stayed right where she was, and soon enough we got Amy Coney Barrett.

Have you ever had to take the keys away from an old relative? It’s not easy. Sometimes you give up the fight to keep the peace. And then you hope against hope that everything will be all right.

or we stay with gasoline cars, coal powered plants, and everything that comes with consuming more and more oil products.
i-like-it-now-you-talkin.gif

Ohh it has nothing to do with like 80% of our chips coming from there or allowing them to maintain independent democracy. Between the Ukraine thread and sometimes here I’m at loss lately.
Son has no idea what you just said. Quick Google news article and pretending like he always did incoming.

Y'all sound like good "patriots". Again that's part of imperialism. Taiwan is the top semiconductor producer because western capitalism demands cheap labor. South East Asia has been a source of cheap labor for the west for decades. To put it in sneaker terms for the low IQ people, Nike stoped making sneakers in S. Korea because their living standards improved and people weren't about to work for pennies so Nike was forced to leave for Vietnam, Taiwan etc.

If Taiwan stopped producing chips, the US, Germany, Japan, S. Korea etc can fill that void. They have the tooling/infrastructure in place. But if they did, then the cost would go up because they have to pay the workers a wage so they can live by western standards and western consumers would bish about the rising cost of goods that require these chips.

Y'all sound like good "patriots". Again that's part of imperialism. Taiwan is the top semiconductor producer because western capitalism demands cheap labor. South East Asia has been a source of cheap labor for the west for decades. To put it in sneaker terms, Nike stoped making sneakers in S. Korea because their living standards improved and people weren't about to work for pennies so Nike was forced to leave for Vietnam, Taiwan etc.

If Taiwan stopped producing chips, the US, Germany, Japan, S. Korea etc can fill that void. They have the tooling/infrastructure in place. But if they did, then the cost would go up because they have to pay the workers a wage so they can live by western standards and western consumers would bish about the rising cost of goods that require these chips.
All I got from this post is that you don't know how processing chips are made.

And you don't know much about Taiwan

Producing chips are nothing like producing sneakers.

All I got from this post is that you don't know how processing chips are made.

And you don't know much about Taiwan

Producing chips are nothing like producing sneakers.
And where did I say producing semiconductors are equivalent to producing sneakers? One requires a highly skilled workforce due to precision and tolerances.

You know what they say about making assumptions...

If Taiwan stopped producing chips, the US, Germany, Japan, S. Korea etc can fill that void. They have the tooling/infrastructure in place.
The issue is not knowledge or lack of standards (the markets in which the chips will be used ultimately dictate them); the issue is capacity.

Do you know how long it takes and how much it costs to build these factories?

At least three years and $20 billion.

Other countries don't have the ability to fill the void right now.

If China invades Taiwan tomorrow, I hope your ready to watch car/appliances/LED light prices double or triple, the same way wheat-based foodstuff has gone up in price in many African cities after Russia invaded Ukraine. You may not like the visit, but such moves are necessary to buy enough time to increase our manufacturing capabilities to the point where the US is shielded from the consequences of China following its foreign interests.

And where did I say producing semiconductors are equivalent to producing sneakers? One requires a highly skilled workforce due to precision and tolerances.

You know what they say about making assumptions...
You are the one the brought up Nike to argue your point. I am pointing out that the market conditions when it comes to labor for sneakers and semiconductors are different.

Like you say here, one requires a much higher skilled workforce, which means they can't be easily and cheaply replaced by new workers

There are semiconductor factories in other countries, but they can't just pick up the slack if TSMC goes offline or increases prices by a ton. The supply of semiconductors are already tight

Also making new factories also involves large capital investments. So if China invades before all the new capacity that is planned comes online the west is ****ed.

The Crypto boom caused GPU prices to skyrocket because they weren't enough capacity to make more when demand increased. Now imagine that happening all over the economy.

Not to mention that manufacturing processes are copyrighted info. their competitors don't have access to TSMC's processes

This is not about supporting America imperialism, or being patriots, or whatever silliness that pops into your head that you want to accuse people of

It is a pragmatic look at how a negative geopolitical shift would affect the world economy

But keep fighting that good contrarian fight comrade

Last edited:
There are plenty of geopolitical risks to. Chinese invasion of Taiwan and it‘s certainly in the US’s interest to mitigate that risk. But I’m not sure I see anything that prompts saber rattling right now - especially by a MoC without support and leadership in the White House.

It‘s probably fair to mention that China has a need for Taiwanese chip fabrication as well. I don’t see great payoffs to an invasion that would jeopardize the industrial capacity of one of the dozen largest economies in the world. China plays the long game. If they want to dominate chips, they‘ll just build a few dozen plants and price Taiwan out over the next decade.

So while ”protecting chip supply” is a better answer than “pursuing imperialism” or whatever, I don’t think it’s a good answer to why she’s there.

I’d be more likely to believe it has to do with understanding when production and supply chain issues are resolved for the chip Industry post COVID, but that doesn’t seem to justify antagonizing the Chinese - especially with the tenuous relationship we have with them vis a vis Russia and Ukraine.

I’d make a dumb joke about her checking up on her private investments, but someone might think I was serious.

Back
Top Bottom