***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Remember when Erick Erickson was #NeverTrump?

Such a pointless observation to make. Of course if you remove an entire state ( especially the most populous one) it's going to hurt the candidate's numbers who won that state.
And is minority rule really better than the alternative? Fact is, most people live in left leaning metropolitan areas. But instead policy is crafted to satisfy Cletus.
Who lives in the middle of nowhere, believes Jesus is white, negroes are lazy and women are always asking for it. It makes no sense.
Essentially, 40% of the population is making decisions for the other 60%. Now I'm no mathematician, but that's *** backwards to me.

This is true. Since I understand politics, this is pretty obvious.

This shows a misunderstanding of the political process. As you can see, I can concede when politics are at play. That is why a lot of these conversations drift into the absurd. If you can't admit that the week-long investigation was a clear delay tactic then it is difficult to have anything resembling a good-faith discussion.

It only become a delay tactic if you believe kav was going to be confirmed immediately after Ford's testimony because he didn't need an investigation and then ignores the investigation when conducted was hollow due to the Repubs securing that nothing was found by limiting the investigation.

Calling it a delay overlooks the cynicism on the motives of Republicans to at first deny the investigation and then when all else fails tamper with it. For cynicism Aimed a the Dems for asking for the same investigation of candidates that has occurred with SC justices in the past.

To simplify it is basically getting mad at the Dems fot daring to demand an investigation. However, investigations have precedent in these situations. Then saying it was simply a delay tactic because the results went a certain way, but the results were predetermined by the scope set by the Republicans.

Sorry but this is Hot Air. When it comes to Kav there really is no ground for the Republicans to stand on. Like even the other Republican low point this year, Family separation. while a human crisis and disgusting on a moral level could have been backed by law. Kav entire confirmation was a consistent manipulation of the law to fit a narrative no one believed. From the first day the Repugs came in bad faith and the compounded that throughout the process.

Last edited:
Such a pointless observation to make. Of course if you remove an entire state ( especially the most populous one) it's going to hurt the candidate's numbers who won that state.
And is minority rule really better than the alternative? Fact is, most people live in left leaning metropolitan areas. But instead policy is crafted to satisfy Cletus.
Who lives in the middle of nowhere, believes Jesus is white, negroes are lazy and women are always asking for it. It makes no sense.
Essentially, 40% of the population is making decisions for the other 60%. Now I'm no mathematician, but that's *** backwards to me.
You know the twisted part. Left wing politicans support policies that benefit people in rural areas. It is more expensive to delivery packages in the middle of nowhere, hospitals, airports, and other infrastructure need to be supported by government dollars.

-Btw as a sidenote, besides corporations, the biggest welfare queens in American are rich people that live in rural areas. It is disgusting how much their lifestyle is subsidized. Even worst they use laws passed to help the rural poor to get all these services on the low.

Last edited:
I don't think he painted that picture, but we can agree to disagree. In his testimony he said he drank and at times drank too many. That hardly sounds like a denial of excessive drinking to me.

Yeah, agree to disagree. Saying “I’ve never blacked out” is definitely a denial of excessive drinking, to me atleast. And the way Kav’s drinking was characterized by peopele that knew him, he’d have blacked out a lot, and often. But I agree to disagree

You know the twisted part. Left wing politicans support policies that benefit people in rural areas. It is more expensive to delivery packages in the middle of no where, hospitals, airports, and other infrastructure need to be supported by government dollars.

-Btw as a sidenote, besides corporations, the biggest welfare queens in American are rich people that live in rural areas. It is disgusting how much their lifestyle is subsidized. Even worst they use laws passed to help the rural poor to get all these services on the low.

Could you share some articles on how they are subsidized I had no idea they were taking advantge of these programs to subsidize their lives.

You know the twisted part. Left wing politicans support policies that benefit people in rural areas. It is more expensive to delivery packages in the middle of no where, hospitals, airports, and other infrastructure need to be supported by government dollars.

Remove those supports and we'd have most of America looking like Mexico or Brazil with mass migration from rural areas to urban slums and lots of extreme poverty in rural areas, basically, we'd be a sh*thole country.

giphy (12).gif

Could you share some articles on how they are subsidized I had no idea they were taking advantage of these programs to subsidize their lives.
I will try to find some. But it is not a topic that is covered that much if at all because it flies under the radar.

This is something I learned about in Grad School when people from the state came to give a talk.

-Power and gas lines don't run all over the state, utilities constantly have to build out their infrastructure to serve new communities. Now a community really needs to show sustained growth from the gas company to run a new pipe to service them. This could take years upon years to get approval. But watch 10 mansions pop up they lobby, sometimes sue to get service. Which might sound fine, but utilities pass the cost of expansion to all ratepayers. So now everyone's rates go up to cover running power and gas lines to them.

-They are so far from hospitals, they have to use helicopters ready to go out to get them if there is a life-threatening situation. I know a couple helicopter pilot in the area, they all living real good.

-They demand paved roads to get to their properties. So now money that was budget to fix messed up high use roads gets diverted.

-If there is a fire, you gotta have firemen close by to put them out. So these people pay the same amount in relative taxes and get a fire station to build for them close by.

- There is no fiber optic lines were they want to live so they use equal opportunity laws to argue that satellite broadband is insufficient, and the state needs to help Cox run fiber to them. And make sure they don't get charged for the build out.

Things that new communities had to wait 15-25 years for if growth is good enough, the rich get in like 5. And it always under the guise of "treating the rural dweller fairly". These people could easily just build a mansion of the edges of the suburbs and cost the state way less money, but they refuse. They want their place. And there are people Ike this in every state that have their own unique finesse.

The rich always want to live in less populated areas, but don't want to make the tradeoff that comes with it. Trade-offs that if anyone else who built a house in the forest would have to make.

Are fiber optic lines common in the US? Particularly in the small rural areas.
One thing I have always noticed from talking to and playing online videogames with numerous Americans over the last decade or so is that folks really hate their internet infrastructure, broadband speeds and how much they have to pay for it.

Fellas, I have bad news. Just found out that one of the former coal gang members has been unfaithful to his wife. I want to respect that member's identity but his wife said it was ok to mention her name which is Tomi. Apparently he made some provocative statements about T Lib Scumbag Swift in this thread. She asked for our thoughts. Thoughts go out to you Tomi.

Are fiber optic lines common in the US? Particularly in the small rural areas.
One thing I have always noticed from talking to and playing online videogames with numerous Americans over the last decade or so is that folks really hate their internet infrastructure, broadband speeds and how much they have to pay for it.
Yeah, kinda, to businesses and for our cellular networks. But not that much to homes. However many ISPs I beleive are using mainly fiber now and replacing old copper networks, not sure though. But we still got alot of copper.

The thing I that most Americans live in areas with one ISP. ISPs pay off state politicans to lock in their monopolies and they provide their customers **** service.

I lived in Maryland when we just had Comcast, they were ****, and they were arrogant ****. When Verizon came in with fiber optic internet service, Comcast called my mother telling her they would double her speed and cut their price if she didn't switch. Comcast didn't do this for customers in area Verizon did bot go into.

ISP also made some states ban counties from building muncipal fiber networks. It happened in North Carolina. Muncipal networks are known for their higher speed and lower cost.

So in short, in areas with more than one ISP or a public option, things are decent. Most other places things are not. Millimeter wave networks might make things much better in the future though.

Last edited:
Fellas, I have bad news. Just found out that one of the former coal gang members has been unfaithful to his wife. I want to respect that member's identity but his wife said it was ok to mention her name which is Tomi. Apparently he made some provocative statements about T Lib Scumbag Swift in this thread. She asked for our thoughts. Thoughts go out to you Tomi.
Maybe he is just being a kid.

When the Gerber smashed peas and Bid Lights are flowing, mistakes happen.

Last edited:
Never trust a libbie. Once a lib, always a lib.

My heart breaks for Tomi. She should've known [redacted] was trouble from the very start. But I trust that she will shake it off. Let her look at my face because I look like her next mistake.

[redacted], as for you, Tomi wants you to know that you are never ever getting back together.

u know
im just speaking for myself
im getting tired of all these memes
and gifs
making fun of the president and his administration
lets get them out the paint
lets vote during midterms
get the majority
get him impeached
turn things around for our country
THEN celebrate

Yeah, kinda, to businesses and for our cellular networks. But not that much to homes. However many ISPs I beleibe are using mainly fiber now and replacing old copper networks. But we still got alot of copper.

The thing I that most Americans live in areas with one ISP. ISPs pay off state politicans to lock in their monopolies and they provide their customers **** service.

I lived in Maryland when we just had Comcast, they were ****, and they were arrogant ****. When Verizon came in with fiber optic internet service, Comcast called my mother telling her they would double her speed and cut their price if she didn't switch. Comcast didn't do this for customers in area Verizon did bot go into.

ISP also made some states ban counties from building muncipal fiber networks. It happened in North Carolina. Muncipal networks are known for their higher speed and lower cost.

So in short, in areas with more than one ISP or a public option, things are decent. Most other places things are not. Millimeter wave networks might make things much better in the future though.
Here it's quite common actually for private homes, even in the small rural areas.
I live in a small rural town with a population barely over 2000 people and we've had fibreoptic lines for probably close to a decade now. All of the surrounding towns are similarly rural and small in population. I don't think I really know anyone who doesn't have access to fibreoptic lines by now.
Currently I pay about €65/month for my broadband package. My broadband speeds generally hover around the ~200mb/s download and 40-50mb/s upload speeds with unlimited monthly data usage.

There's really only 2 major ISPs here that dominate the nationwide market but I can't really complain. The largest one is Telenet, which does have much better infrastructure and broadband speeds than the other one, Proximus, but the latter compensates by largely dominating the mobile internet market. There's other smaller ones available in many areas but they can't really compete sufficiently with the top 2 in terms of infrastructure and speed. Not to say that they're awful, they'll do just fine for an average home.

Telenet is dominant to the point where they really don't have to bother providing a good service but part of the reason why they're so dominant in the first place is because they offer very high quality broadband at a lower cost than their competitors.
They're constantly upgrading and expanding their infrastructure and handing out all kinds of customer loyalty rewards.
What I pay for my broadband package hasn't really changed much at all over the years but my broadband speeds have changed very drastically due to loyalty rewards. A few years ago they doubled my speed from 100mb/s download and 20mb/s upload speed to my current speed I listed above.

To be honest aside from their customer service I couldn't be happier with my provider.
Customer service is pretty awful but that's just a given. When people kept shutting my home internet down when playing Halo I had to explain to them what a DDoS attack was pretty much every time but other than that I haven't really had the need to contact my provider.

Last edited:
Sheds some light on why Rick Gates' attorneys withdraw from his case all of a sudden, which was never really explained due to the sealed records.
It appears that Gates proceeded with a new attorney but kept his other attorneys out of the loop.
Document link:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4999252-Unsealed-document-re-Rick-Gates-plea-deal.html

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/10/09/us/politics/ap-us-trump-russia-probe-gates.html
Unsealed Emails Reveal Tiff Over Ex-Trump Aide Gates
Newly unsealed emails are shedding more light on behind-the-scenes discussions that led lawyers for former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates to withdraw from his case.

The emails, between prosecutors and an attorney for Gates, were made public by a judge Tuesday after The Associated Press and other news organizations sued for their release.

The correspondence, from late January, took place just days before Gates lied to the FBI during an interview and weeks before he pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into possible coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign. Gates is now awaiting sentencing.

In one message, Shanlon Wu, a former lawyer for Gates, told two attorneys on Mueller's team that they had been meeting behind his back with a different lawyer. Wu complained that the prosecutors had refused to disclose to him the substance of the meetings or discuss with him the terms of the plea offer they were negotiating with Gates's new attorney, Thomas Green.

The prosecutors, Andrew Weissmann and Greg Andres, responded the next day by saying they were simply dealing with Gates's chosen lawyer and they had no interest in being intermediaries between Gates and his defense attorneys.

"We advised both your client and Mr. Green that we are happy to deal with any counsel of Mr. Gates' choice and expressed no preference other than following his selection," the prosecutors wrote.

Wu did not immediately return messages seeking comment. Green said the emails unsealed Tuesday were "much ado about nothing."

Gates, a longtime protege of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy against the United States and one count of lying to the FBI.

Email to the special counsel prosecutors:
aba67a4ebd939603a88d121ef64b4594.png

Prosecutors' reply:
bfd25374610afbc9116b19842ec4d314.png

Back
Top Bottom