***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I hope our resident convenient fry-cook lawyer understands that this, along with obvious logistical concerns, is why we can't rely on charity to support the social safety net; sociopaths like his own president will always exploit the empathy of others. While it's true government will misuse tax payer money from time to time but on the whole it makes a lot more sense than counting on accountability and transparency from a private organization.
We all know that the idea of relying on charity to support the social safety net is just a convenient idea for wealthy people to pay fewer taxes.

We all know that the idea of relying on charity to support the social safety net is just a convenient idea for wealthy people to pay fewer taxes.
Brah, let is not even take this asinine argument seriously again.

No economist except for hack libertarians trying to cover their *** propose this would work. Robert Reich has a new book explaining how leaci g things to altruism from the wealthy undermines democracy. And most importantly tons of government spending has helps, and continues to help, the affluent in this country amass their wealth.

And his troll *** is making this argument right after Trump charity had to close down for corruption.

Why waste time on dude's bull**** when we know he will run out of gas and spewing nonsense within a page and a half.

His argument pretty much will look like...
giphy.gif

Brah, let is not even take this asinine argument seriously again.

No economist except for hack libertarians trying to cover their *** propose this would work. Robert Reich has a new book explaining how leaci g things to altruism from the wealthy undermines democracy. And most importantly tons of government spending has helps, and continues to help, the affluent in this country amass their wealth.

And his troll *** is making this argument right after Trump charity had to close down for corruption.

Why waste time on dude's bull**** when we know he will run out of gas and spewing nonsense within a page and a half.

His argument pretty much will look like...
giphy.gif

I responded to a poster that mentioned me. I did not initiate the discussion.

Funding social safety net/socioeconomic initiatives without a government/federal infrastructure and relying on donations is just as idealistic and practical as relying on tax cuts for the wealthy and hope that it trickles down to the working class with out any infrastructure ensuring that it actually does so.

This is not the argument.

The reality is that often federal tax dollars do not trickle down to the communities that need them the most. My point is, and has always been, that a combination is the ideal solution. But, in the event that an initiative is de-funded that does not mean that it has no way of surviving. Many organizations rely heavily on private donations. I often use St. Jude as a shining example. Again, the onus should be on private individuals/corporations, churches, etc. to ensure that important initiatives continue. I feel that local corporations, churches, and individuals have the means to have a greater impact on the communities in which they reside.

Trump's post-Parkland panel recommends ending Obama-era school discipline policies

The Department of Education is poised to rescind Obama-era policies that sought to ensure minority students are not unfairly disciplined in schools, an effort the Trump administration believes will alleviate school-related violence.

The policy recommendation comes from the Federal School Safety Commission's report released Tuesday. The commission, convened by the White House in the aftermath of the Parkland school shooting earlier this year, aimed to evaluate and provide recommendations about how to keep students safe in school.
Because the commission was convened in the aftermath of school shootings, many anticipated a focus on guns, but the commission's report took a look at several policies from mental health issues to the impact of violent entertainment on children's development, according to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.
The report urges partnerships between schools, districts, states and law enforcement for the training and arming of school personnel. Although senior White House officials stressed that the report does not make the recommendation to arm teachers, it says that highly trained school personnel that have access to guns would be beneficial to school safety.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/education-department-discipline-policies/index.html

A-men!

More beer, more coal, less vegetables.... AMERICA
I see you ain't up on silica yet

In stories published Tuesday and broadcast on Morning Edition and All Things Considered, NPR and Frontline reported that federal regulators and the mining industry knew more than 20 years ago that toxic silica dust in coal mines was leading to severe and fatal lung disease. But no administration then or since has imposed direct and tougher regulation of silica dust in mines.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/6780...miners-spurs-house-hearings-on-coal-mine-dust

20 times more lethal than coal dust baby. Sign me up .#silicadustgang

Funding social safety net/socioeconomic initiatives without a government/federal infrastructure and relying on donations is just as idealistic and practical as relying on tax cuts for the wealthy and hope that it trickles down to the working class with out any infrastructure ensuring that it actually does so.
It doesn’t?

This is not the argument.

The reality is that often federal tax dollars do not trickle down to the communities that need them the most. My point is, and has always been, that a combination is the ideal solution. But, in the event that an initiative is de-funded that does not mean that it has no way of surviving. Many organizations rely heavily on private donations. I often use St. Jude as a shining example. Again, the onus should be on private individuals/corporations, churches, etc. to ensure that important initiatives continue. I feel that local corporations, churches, and individuals have the means to have a greater impact on the communities in which they reside.

My apologies, I thought you were making this argument again.

You missed the larger point that I've weaved throughout the thread. Federal taxes are not the only way to fund important programs. People can donate to causes that they believe in. And the average American having more money in their pocket will make that possible. The difference is that you believe that giving the money to the federal government is the best way to ensure that these programs work. I believe in people and that they will do the right thing and give to these important programs. And that it will be more efficient in the private market than it would be through the government.

Personally, I believe it’s imlortant to donate to charities and organizations, but government infrastructure and the spending that comes along with is the only way to ensure money gets from point a to point b. Imagine where we’d be if we took that approach instead of dumping all of that money into the tax plan.

Last edited:
"You don't understand. Diversity is making white kids stressed and they snap and shoot their classmates. Segregation = less triggering = safer schools. The common sense math just works"
Right from the pages of “white people are just as oppressed too!!!” boy.

I see you ain't up on silica yet

In stories published Tuesday and broadcast on Morning Edition and All Things Considered, NPR and Frontline reported that federal regulators and the mining industry knew more than 20 years ago that toxic silica dust in coal mines was leading to severe and fatal lung disease. But no administration then or since has imposed direct and tougher regulation of silica dust in mines.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/6780...miners-spurs-house-hearings-on-coal-mine-dust

20 times more lethal than coal dust baby. Sign me up .#silicadustgang
aepps20 aepps20 right now after hearing this news...
qbvqp9.gif

My apologies, I thought you were making this argument again.

Personally, I believe it’s imlortant to donate to charities and organizations, but government infrastructure and the spending that comes along with is the only way to ensure money gets from point a to point b. Imagine where we’d be if we took that approach instead of dumping all of that money into the tax plan.

These are the same arguments. And my argument remains that it is NOT the ONLY way to ensure money gets from point a to point b.

And personally I agree with you in terms of donating to charities and organizations.

On a serious note this story is heartbreaking

Their lungs are crystalizing.
One guy took 6 hours to cut his yard becuase his breathing is so bad.
He has his grave already picked out.

I'm not sure how comparable this is, if at all, but when I had half of my right lung removed in surgery in late 2013 it was god awful for a year or so. To be clear the rest of my lungs worked fine.
I essentially had to talk like this for several weeks: "Hi.....how....are....you?"
Couldn’t really say more than 2 words without breaks for a while.

Speech improved at a decent rate but activity was very tough for a solid year. Walking up/down my stairway had me out of breath like I just gave it my all on a lengthy sprint.
I imagine cutting my yard would have taken a similar time if I did so at the time.

Thankfully my right lung fully regenerated itself by now and my lung capacity is back to above average. The only remaining side effect I suppose is that my voice still sounds quite different and some unrelated lasting effects from the narcosis.

But the initial struggle after the surgery was truly awful and not something I’d wish on anyone.
The black lung folks have it much much worse and unlike my case it’s not simply going to cure itself.

These are the same arguments. And my argument remains that it is NOT the ONLY way to ensure money gets from point a to point b.

And personally I agree with you in terms of donating to charities and organizations.

The only way? No. But a well funded system fueled by tax dollars brings stability with it. The kind of stability private organization can’t guarantee.

The kind of stability private organization can’t guarantee.

We can agree to disagree on this point. With budget cuts, changing political climates/initiatives, etc., I imagine the stability would be quite similar to what a private organization can "guarantee" to whatever degree that means something.

I'm not sure how comparable this is, if at all, but when I had half of my right lung removed in surgery in late 2013 it was god awful for a year or so. To be clear the rest of my lungs worked fine.
I essentially had to talk like this for several weeks: "Hi.....how....are....you?"
Couldn’t really say more than 2 words without breaks for a while.

Speech improved at a decent rate but activity was very tough for a solid year. Walking up/down my stairway had me out of breath like I just gave it my all on a lengthy sprint.
I imagine cutting my yard would have taken a similar time if I did so at the time.

Thankfully my right lung fully regenerated itself by now and my lung capacity is back to above average. The only remaining side effect I suppose is that my voice still sounds quite different and some unrelated lasting effects from the narcosis.

But the initial struggle after the surgery was truly awful and not something I’d wish on anyone.
The black lung folks have it much much worse and unlike my case it’s not simply going to cure itself.

Im glad you in better health

Whats crazy is that their is something worse that black lung for miners

Black lung from coal
Crystalized lung from silica dust

This is where automation should come into play. People dont deserve this

Back
Top Bottom