***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I’d say 95% of all sport athlete salaries come from revenue from the association, sponsorships, game attendance, and other methods

But the owners don’t really pay the athletes
Yes demand for their product generates revenue for the league (teams), which leads to workers especially the players being compensated for their labor.

That is true of most private business.

But owners cut them the check. So it is really semantics over who "pays" them.

The point in the Tweet still stands. The wealth of the owners are more an issue than players pay.

Last edited:

Bernie has been know to, on occasion, criticize billionaires.

On the broader point, I disagree with Bernie villainizing professional athletes' salaries. One, there are the labor economics points that RustyShackleford RustyShackleford made and two, professional athletics is the most meritocratic of the high earning professions. Every other high wage/high prestige field of work is surrounded by obstacles that require money and/or social capital to overcome. Being a professional athlete is the one field where merit is rewarded. Mechanisms are in place to find and develop talent in sports.

Unlike Journalism, Finance, Politics, Academia, Law, Music, Entertainment, the Fortune 500 C Suites and, yes, Medicine, I can look at the ranks of the Major Professional Sports Leagues and know that the best of the best is truly comprised of the best at their craft.

Last edited:
The redacted materials will be out tomorrow.
The unredacted versions will be made public on August 22nd, though prosecutors may still want to keep redactions on ongoing investigation(s) by then.
As I posted earlier, SDNY prosecutors pushed to redact materials that could affect their still ongoing campaign finance investigation.

Proof of this?
I’m sure you can find a few articles on this

I was curious about who pays them myself and I read a few different places and an interview with mark Cuban where they all said the owners don’t literally pay the athletes, it’s more from sponsorships, ticket sales, etc

Didn’t see this one coming.
“Tillerson reached out to the committee and expressed a willingness to meet, a committee aide said.”

“In a more than six-hour meeting, he told members and staffers that the Trump administration actively avoided confronting Russia about allegations of interference in the election in an effort to develop a solid relationship with the Kremlin, a committee aide told The Daily Beast.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rex-t...eign-affairs-committee-to-talk-trump?ref=home
Rex Tillerson Secretly Meets With House Foreign Affairs Committee to Talk Trump
Former secretary of state Rex Tillerson spoke with the leaders of the House Foreign Affairs committee on Tuesday in a lengthy session that, an aide said, touched on his time working in the Trump administration, the frictions he had with the president’s son-in-law, and efforts to tackle issues like Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Tillerson’s appearance, first reported by The Daily Beast, took place as virtually every other Trumpworld luminary has been stonewalling congressional oversight efforts. At the same time the former secretary of state was speaking before lawmakers, former White House counsel Don McGahn was ignoring a subpoena to testify in front of the House Judiciary Committee.

Tillerson’s arrival at the Capitol was handled with extreme secrecy. No media advisories or press releases were sent out announcing his appearance. And he took a little-noticed route into the building in order to avoid being seen by members of the media.

Bernie sounds like an idiot.

Along with what you guys already said, I didn’t realize athletes were government employees.

“In a country where we have kim Kardashian making millions off Twitter I feel like we can pay our firemen more.”

The two aren’t related...

Bernie has been know to, on occasion, criticize billionaires.

On the broader point, I disagree with Bernie villainizing professional athletes' salaries. One, there are the labor economics points that RustyShackleford RustyShackleford made and two, professional athletics is the most meritocratic of the high earning professions. Every other high wage/high prestige field of work is surrounded by obstacles that require money and/or social capital to overcome. Being a professional athlete is the one field where merit is rewarded. Mechanisms are in place to find and develop talent in sports.

Unlike Journalism, Finance, Politics, Academia, Law, Music, Entertainment, the Fortune 500 C Suites and, yes, Medicine, I can look at the ranks of the Major Professional Sports Leagues and know that the best of the best is truly comprised of the best at their craft.

While this sounds great, connections play a very large role in sports on the professional level just like in the other fields mentioned. Merit does as well, just like in the other fields mentioned.

ben carson really looking like the chappelle show sketch

Oil...oil ....that chick cooking or something.

Also his poor job effects my wifes job....that make me really mad

Didn’t see this one coming.
“Tillerson reached out to the committee and expressed a willingness to meet, a committee aide said.”

“In a more than six-hour meeting, he told members and staffers that the Trump administration actively avoided confronting Russia about allegations of interference in the election in an effort to develop a solid relationship with the Kremlin, a committee aide told The Daily Beast.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rex-t...eign-affairs-committee-to-talk-trump?ref=home
Rex Tillerson Secretly Meets With House Foreign Affairs Committee to Talk Trump
Former secretary of state Rex Tillerson spoke with the leaders of the House Foreign Affairs committee on Tuesday in a lengthy session that, an aide said, touched on his time working in the Trump administration, the frictions he had with the president’s son-in-law, and efforts to tackle issues like Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Tillerson’s appearance, first reported by The Daily Beast, took place as virtually every other Trumpworld luminary has been stonewalling congressional oversight efforts. At the same time the former secretary of state was speaking before lawmakers, former White House counsel Don McGahn was ignoring a subpoena to testify in front of the House Judiciary Committee.

Tillerson’s arrival at the Capitol was handled with extreme secrecy. No media advisories or press releases were sent out announcing his appearance. And he took a little-noticed route into the building in order to avoid being seen by members of the media.
Donald Trump is building his army by pardoning war criminals.

You heard it here first. He ain't leaving power peacefully.

Back
Top Bottom