***Official Political Discussion Thread***

FRI MAR 27, 2020 / 8:51 AM EDT
U.S. not bailing out airlines, Boeing not using federal money: Treasury Secretary

Photo

FILE PHOTO: Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin takes a phone call in the hall outside a meeting to wrap up work on coronavirus economic aid legislation to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Washington, U.S., March 21, 2020.

REUTERS/MARY F. CALVERT/FILE PHOTO

(Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said on Friday that the coronavirus economic stimulus bill set to soon pass the House of Representatives is not an airline bailout and that taxpayers will need to be compenstated for relief given to the companies badly hobbled by the global pandemic.

At the same time, Mnuchin said in an interview with Fox Business that plane-maker Boeing Co. (BA.N) has no intention of using federal money.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal and Doina Chiacu; Writing by Lisa Lambert)

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/trump-political-ad-cease-and-desist-letter.html
In context, the true meaning seems more ambiguous; like so many of Trump’s wildest declarations, it’s slippery enough that the president can claim innocence while his supporters can interpret it however they choose.
Feel like they just went through this thread. Only thing they forgot was that some of those supporters also make bad faith arguments to appear like a well adjusted adults.

Idk how anyone could call themselves a Trump supporter on 03/27/20, look in the mirror, and not hate what they see.

But that's just me 🤷🏾‍♂️

FRI MAR 27, 2020 / 8:51 AM EDT
U.S. not bailing out airlines, Boeing not using federal money: Treasury Secretary

Photo

FILE PHOTO: Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin takes a phone call in the hall outside a meeting to wrap up work on coronavirus economic aid legislation to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Washington, U.S., March 21, 2020.

REUTERS/MARY F. CALVERT/FILE PHOTO

(Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said on Friday that the coronavirus economic stimulus bill set to soon pass the House of Representatives is not an airline bailout and that taxpayers will need to be compenstated for relief given to the companies badly hobbled by the global pandemic.

At the same time, Mnuchin said in an interview with Fox Business that plane-maker Boeing Co. (BA.N) has no intention of using federal money.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal and Doina Chiacu; Writing by Lisa Lambert)

We will Believe it when we see it.

I do know tho delta is cutting salaries and letting go of contractors.

also pay is getting cut by 25%

So basically if you made 30 bucks an hour ur down to 22 and change.

big difference cause that’s kinda two different life styles especially if you have a stay at home wife or kids and or benefits get taken out at the same rate.

21000 employees have take no pay leave. (They keep their benefits)

it’s only going to get worse.

how about a poll of Employees and ask hey are they willing to go to work during this time for money

Or

HOW ABOUT LIKE EVERY OTHER MAJOR COUNTRIES. STOP ASKING US TO DIE AND JUST SUPPORT US FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS.

I'd be interested to see that poll.

And that would be great. But it is unrealistic.

I am talking about the current reality. The option you are saying isn't likely going to happen.

Isn’t today the last day of the 15 day quarantine

Mane seems like he really is going to say it’s up to the states.

wash his hands and move on.

then spend weeks blaming others and say things he’s doing but not really doing.

ride that out and in November go on a apology blame tour.

Deliciously evil

I'd be interested to see that poll.

And that would be great. But it is unrealistic.

I am talking about the current reality. The option you are saying isn't likely going to happen.

then is unlikely people will blindly listen to trump and go outside.

The states are making it clear they aren’t listening to and extending their quarantine rules anyways.
here in GA schools are closed to the 24 of April.

Also send people back to work to what customers. Those white collar PRIVILEGE workers are at home with their kids.

the industries and jobs closed are what food, bars, some other luxury jobs. Nah they can say hey come back but people won’t and as a result boom right where we are now.

Honestly what does open the country back up even mean though

like what does that mean.... what businesses open?

what switch is hit. To get our economy back up?

I have questions?

Tell me what needs to happen to get our people back to work and possibly die what business need to re open?

Me as white collar worker damn sure ain’t going to work and many others that can stay home fam.

So what and who do we need to fix it all?
To go and sacrifice themselves ?

then is unlikely people will blindly listen to trump and go outside.

The states are making it clear they aren’t listening to and extending their quarantine rules anyways.
here in GA schools are closed to the 24 of April.

Also send people back to work to what customers. Those white collar PRIVILEGE workers are at home with their kids.

the industries and jobs closed are what food, bars, some other luxury jobs. Nah they can say hey come back but people won’t and as a result boom right where we are now.

Honestly what does open the country back up even mean though

like what does that mean.... what businesses open?

what switch is hit. To get our economy back up?

I have questions?

Tell me what needs to happen to get our people back to work and possibly die what business need to re open?

Me as white collar worker damn sure ain’t going to work and many others that can stay home fam.

So what and who do we need to fix it all?
To go and sacrifice themselves ?

I won't be going in either.

My point was that I, and seemingly you, have that luxury.

For many, that is not the case. Trump can't force anyone to go to work or force any businesses to reopen. Instead, cities and states can use a staggered approach in lifting stay-at-home orders. Or expanding what qualifies as an essential service.

I am saying that you can't ignore the reality that if given the option to stay at home and not work/earn vs. take the risk associated with the virus and go to work, unfortunately many would choose the latter based on their financial situation.

If you feel differently, then lifting the stay-at-home orders wouldn't matter because everyone would stay inside anyway because of a recognition of the risk.

I think there is a delicate balance. I don't know the right answer. But I do think that you have to consider people who do not have the savings/stability/ability to work from home to wait this out.

Nothing about Trumps pandemic response so far gives me any hope for this idea of delicate balance... I honestly don’t find him capable of doing anything delicate.

this is going to be a bloodbath and a preventable one at that

TLDR of my rant.

cause it really pisses me off when they say people wanna go out and get sick.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE TELLING US THAT WE WANNA GO OUT AND GET BACK TO WORK.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE SAYING HEY LET SOME PEOPLE DIE.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE SAYING OH THOSE 1200 CHECKS AND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS ARE TO HIGH RIGHT NOW.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE CRYING TO SAVE WALL STREET AND NOT THE PEOPLE.

THATS “ PRIVILEGE” MISS ME WITH THAT OLE PRIVILEGE TALK.

the CEO’s managers and such are at home right now. Telling people he die for the hive
but but but my uncle Skeeter lost his job. and he's stuck at home and he's driving my aunt Mae CRAZY.

you damn privileged costal elites don't care about this, do you? this is real human pain and suffering. and what, to save 1-2% of the population? is it really worth it?

if we don't open the economy back up NOW and get Skeeter back to work, things could get REAL UGLY. he might have to start sleeping on the couch. Lord, please don't let libs take it that far. Please reopen America by this weekend.

And don't even get me started on their children Beaver, Hairy, and Madeline. If they don't get to do the church egg hunt this Easter, they are going to throw a GIANT FIT. it's going to be catastrophic.

My International vacation plans center around avoiding these types. Nothing to ruin your restful day than some arrogant American acting like they own the country and being rude.
I dream of a future where most countries close their borders to American tourists and only those with dual citizenship are allowed to visit.

For many, that is not the case. Trump can't force anyone to go to work or force any businesses to reopen. Instead, cities and states can use a staggered approach in lifting stay-at-home orders. Or expanding what qualifies as an essential service.

This is a great idea if you want to increase the spread of the virus, overwhelm hospitals, and have more people die as a result.

I am saying that you can't ignore the reality that if given the option to stay at home and not work/earn vs. take the risk associated with the virus and go to work, unfortunately many would choose the latter based on their financial situation.
You can’t ignore the reality that if given the option to stay at home and be taken care of by the government or go to work and risk infection, many would choose the former.

You can’t ignore the reality that if given the option to stay at home and be taken care of by the government or go to work and risk infection, many would choose the former.

I don't disagree.

But this doesn't appear to be an option based on the proposals I have read.

Back
Top Bottom