***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The one SC justice is anti-affirmative action. That will definitely be in danger if the court continues to swing. You're not concerned with that? Or you don't believe in it, like Clarence Thomas? The Voting Rights Act is a black issue as well.

Also, I resent the notion that Environmental issues and women's reproductive rights aren't black issues. They aren't exclusively black issues, but they absolutely have a tremendous impact on black lives.

Nearly every issue has a potential impact on Black Americans. No point in going back and forth about that.

But, of course, there are some issues that disproportionately impact Black Americans.

I am pro-life, so we likely disagree on what the correct measures are if you support abortion in most circumstances, generally.

I am actually not anti-affirmative action. But I do understand Thomas' perspective. A well-intentioned terrible take.

I don't think that affirmative action, generally, is in jeopardy in a meaningful way. The Supreme Court was right-leaning under Obama but that didn't happen.

But we can have a discussion about how minority-focused programs tend to have fewer Black Americans than other minorities.

I personally do not think the Voting Rights Act is in serious jeopardy. The dial back that occurred in 2013 is likely as far as it will go.

And Congress can go a good way to ensure that. SCOTUS only interprets the law, after all.

I could be wrong on all of this but I just don't see it.

You’re not wrong that she’s a liberal although I might disagree with your approach to dealing with white supremacy among liberals.

The article’s tone that it had revealed a bombshell in her donating to Democrats, strikes me as odd. What would have been a big revelation is if Central Park Karen had been a Trump supporter. A VP on Wall Street in New York In 2020 is assumed to be a Democrat.

How do we deal with the fact purveyors of finance capitalism and white supremacy feel so comfortable in the Democratic Party? You’d probably say it’s Republican. I’d say riot but stop at a polling place and vote for Dems in the general, vote for the leftmost primary candidate and then keep rioting.

The struggle needs the rioters. On that we agree.

I largely disagree with most of your positions, but this the most genuine post that you've made in this thread in months.
I am actually not anti-affirmative action. But I do understand Thomas' perspective. A well-intentioned terrible take.
Well-intentioned take as you sit on SC, to the detriment of millions of blacks.

I don't think that affirmative action, generally, is in jeopardy in a meaningful way. The Supreme Court was right-leaning under Obama but that didn't happen.
The ruling was unexpected, as Kennedy sided with the majority even after being critical of Affirmative Action in the past. They also left it open for future attacks. I wholeheartedly disagree with this.
But we can have a discussion about how minority-focused programs tend to have fewer Black Americans than other minorities.
I 100% agree with this, and think that this discussion should be amplified, but don't really see the relevance here.

Last point, you vote for people who generally are trying to tear down Voting Rights Act and a part that is against Affirmative Action. :lol: Be serious.

Your logic would suggest that something like the First Step Act, Fair Chance Act and record funding to HBCUs wouldn't pass.

The reality is that under this administration those things that were thought not to be able to pass under Republican leadership are actually getting passed because congressional leaders are afraid of Trump's base.

So, maybe, generally you are right. But I have to disagree that it won't be different under this administration. But we will see.

I 100% agree with this, and think that this discussion should be amplified, but don't really see the relevance here.

How is a discussion about which minority groups get selected for minority programs irrelevant to an affirmative action discussion?

To your first question, I don't think the supreme court will roll back civil rights measures related to black people.

I sense you asked the second question because I think that you know that the issues that most people have with the conservative Supreme Court picks is not about black issues.

The one black supreme court justice is conservative, after all.

So we acknowledge that you've made the shift from issues pertaining to Black Americans, despite that being my focus, to other issues.

As it relates to immigration, the prior administration deported more people than any other administration. And the prior administration was a democratic one.

Do you not think a conservative supreme court majority negatively affects Blacks the most in America? "You sense I asked the second question because I know that the issues that most people have with the conservative Supreme Court picks is not about black issues." What? Who's the one moving the conversation and paraphrasing here?

What does the one black supreme court justice being conservative have to do with anything? Does that in some way change the point that conservative justices are bad for Black Americans? Is Clarence Thomas existing on the court somehow positive for Black Americans?

How did I shift from issues pertaining to Black Americans :lol:

Blacks can't be immigrants? Is total deportations the only immigration issue? EDIT are there not other issues the supreme court has in its sights that will have a major impact on blacks?

Your logic would suggest that something like the First Step Act, Fair Chance Act and record funding to HBCUs wouldn't pass.

The reality is that under this administration those things that were thought not to be able to pass under Republican leadership are actually getting passed because congressional leaders are afraid of Trump's base.

So, maybe, generally you are right. But I have to disagree that it won't be different under this administration. But we will see.
You listed three initiatives that began under Obama that Trump passed.

What pro-black agendas have republicans introduced and championed under Trump?

the-last-dance-just-produced-the-next-great-michael-jordan-meme.jpg

Do you not think a conservative supreme court majority negatively affects Blacks the most in America? "You sense I asked the second question because I know that the issues that most people have with the conservative Supreme Court picks is not about black issues." What? Who's the one moving the conversation and paraphrasing here?

What does the one black supreme court justice being conservative have to do with anything? Does that in some way change the point that conservative justices are bad for Black Americans? Is Clarence Thomas existing on the court somehow positive for Black Americans?

How did I shift from issues pertaining to Black Americans :lol:

Blacks can't be immigrants? Is total deportations the only immigration issue? EDIT are there not other issues the supreme court has in its sights that will have a major impact on blacks?

To the first question, no.

Fair enough to the second point. Don't want to put words in your mouth.

I responded to the issues that you mentioned already.

When I am talking about issues facing Black Americans I am not talking about immigration issues.

The Black Immigrant experience is somewhat unique.

It isn't about that for me. It is about the ability to get the measures passed.

I don't care who champions it. Or who introduced what. I care that it passed.

And, it passed under this administration. And there is no reason to believe similar additional measures won't get passed if he is elected for a second term.

How is a discussion about which minority groups get selected for minority programs irrelevant to an affirmative action discussion?
To whether or not affirmative action is in danger. I told you that I agree that it's a discussion that needs to be amplified. Descendants of slaves absolutely need to be the primary benefactor of initiatives such as this, in my opinion.

To whether or not affirmative action is in danger. I told you that I agree that it's a discussion that needs to be amplified. Descendants of slaves absolutely need to be the primary benefactor of initiatives such as this, in my opinion.

Fair enough. It was a footnote since a discussion was being had on affirmative action.

Shocked, we actually agree on something.

And, it passed under this administration. And there is no reason to believe similar additional measures won't get passed if he is elected for a second term.
So you have no answer. :lol: :rofl:

You don't care who champions them, so you care ignore it is the Dems who mainly do it.

If republicans aren't introducing the bills, and do not intend to because they never have, how will they pass?

Back
Top Bottom