***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I don’t even know why Lawrence or what’s his face from Ohio state would want to play.. both are locks for the top 3

trey lance and the tackle from Oregon the only players who could potentially jump them

My thinking exactly. He has ZERO to prove by playing this year. Only thing that would come from playing could be a huge injury that would cost him tens of millions of dollars! He's an idiot for even suggesting playing. Dude, just relax and get paid next April!

My thinking exactly. He has ZERO to prove by playing this year. Only thing that would come from playing could be a huge injury that would cost him tens of millions of dollars! He's an idiot for even suggesting playing. Dude, just relax and get paid next April!

you have a free pass to avoid injury and just go and draft prep, sign with an agent and start making money

cause ain’t like they need to be drafted to sign endorsement deals

hawaii!!! we’re #1 🔥
83EDE95E-A7D9-4CAC-84DA-67813FC81282.jpeg

you have a free pass to avoid injury and just go and draft prep, sign with an agent and start making money

cause ain’t like they need to be drafted to sign endorsement deals
Exactly buddy! Trevor can make $$$ as soon as they officially cancel the season! First up, shoe deal!!

I actually know a few who've packed up and moved to other countries.

If I wasn't so full of medical issues (transplant patient & severe Crohn's) my wife & I would consider going to Ontario! Love it up there, people are so nice, and it's just an overall great place.

Imagine going to work and talking to your coworkers about the 4 hour movie you watched the night before while being the worst employee in your company.
You can do that only if you're the CEO, the hiring pool consists of members of your fan club, and you systematically fire those who haven't renewed their membership or have expressed their intention to not renew.

As far as I know, there isn't a limit on the number of impeachment proceedings a president can face.

We are in a worse situation than we think when we look at how many impeachable acts the administration has been committing during the last 6 months. Things are moving quicker than people realize.

dwalk31 dwalk31

Amazon product ASIN 0525658459
Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.

Race, The Original Republican Sin

You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can’t say “******”—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights and all that stuff.
—Lee Atwater, 1981

I played the race card in my very first race.

It was 1978 and my first client was running for Congress in Mississippi. His name was Jon Hinson. He had been chief of staff to a Mississippi congressman named Thad Cochran, who was now running for the Senate. (Actually, back then they called the head staffers “administrative assistants,” or AAs, but as government became more about positioning for that next job and less about service, that sounded too much like “secretaries,” so the more elevated “chief of staff” became common. What lobbying shop wants to pay $500,000 for a former AA?) In high school I had been a page when Hinson ran the congressional office, and I’d kept in touch when visiting the office on trips to D.C.

Hinson was running against the son of Senator John Stennis, a Mississippi icon of the Democratic Party. The son, John Hampton Stennis, was a state representative, and it was assumed he would win easily. I was in film school then at UCLA, and Hinson called and asked if I could make television commercials for his campaign. I told him I didn’t know how to make commercials, that I just made silly little films and wrote scripts I couldn’t sell. “That doesn’t matter,” he said. “You have to do it. I can’t afford to pay anyone who does this for real.” In retrospect, this might not have been the most compelling pitch. But like anyone who has gone to film school, I was eager to get out and actually do something even vaguely related to film, so I said yes.

I’d been one of those kids who loved politics and campaigns and had walked precincts since the 1967 “William Winter for Governor” campaign in Mississippi. Winter ran against the last avowed segregationist to be elected governor, John Bell Williams, and it was a race full of death threats and drama. Winter lost, but I fell in love with politics and read Teddy White’s Making of the President, 1960 over and over. It seemed a strange and intoxicating world, and when I left film school and started working in the Hinson campaign, I instantly felt at home. There was this sense of doing something that might actually matter. If I came up with the right ad, I might make a little history—or at least that’s what I told myself. It was the tiniest bit of history—a Mississippi congressional seat—but it seemed infinitely more consequential than student films and debating what was the greatest opening camera move in cinema. The only problem was we were losing.

Stennis was a towering figure in Mississippi, and his name on the ballot was the obvious default choice for voters. Hinson was right when he said he couldn’t afford to hire anyone, because no one thought he would win and for good reason. We raised some money, put up a few positive ads, and moved comfortably into second place, which is where we seemed stuck. The problem was that the congressional district, which included a lot of Jackson, Mississippi, and Vicksburg, was around 30 percent African American and, true to form, Hinson was getting less than 10 percent of that vote.

Thad Cochran was facing the same problem in his Senate race. No Republican had been elected statewide in Mississippi since Reconstruction, mostly because there really wasn’t much of a functioning Republican Party in Mississippi. Cochran had won a congressional race against a very weak Democrat and then relied on incumbency to win easy races, but every other member of the Mississippi congressional delegation was Democratic. In his Senate race, Cochran had one great advantage: Charles Evers, the brother of the assassinated civil rights leader Medgar Evers, was running as an independent. Not surprisingly, he was drawing a significant portion of the African American vote. With the bulk of the black vote going to a third-party candidate, the race between the Republican and the Democrat largely came down to a fight for white voters. And that was a fight Cochran was winning. He was a young, likable attorney from Jackson and had a strong base in his former congressional district. Evers had no chance of winning, but he was enabling Cochran to move into first place.

What we needed in the Hinson campaign was a like dynamic of an independent African American drawing black votes from the Democrat. And we had one: Evan Doss Jr., a thirty-year-old African American, had qualified to run as an independent for the congressional seat. The problem was that he wasn’t famous like Charles Evers, so few, including those in the black community, knew he was running. So I did the obvious thing: I made ads that showed the Republican, the Democrat, and independent, Evan Doss. I did it like a public service announcement: “In the Fourth Congressional District, three candidates are running.” I put all three on the screen with their names. “Jon Hinson is the Republican nominee. John Hampton Stennis is the Democratic nominee. Evan Doss is running as an independent and would be the first African American candidate elected to Congress in Mississippi since Reconstruction.”

That was it. I thought it was terribly clever, and it didn’t bother me a bit on any “I’m playing the race card” kind of level. What could be wrong with informing voters of the choice they faced? And it worked beautifully. On Election Day, Hinson won with 51.6 percent of the vote followed by John Hampton Stennis with 26.4 percent and Evan Doss with 19 percent. Every vote for Doss was a vote that would have gone to Stennis. In the end, Hinson might have won without the black independent, but it would have been very, very close.

In my first race I had stumbled onto a truth as basic and immutable as the fact that water freezes below thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit: race was the key in which much of American politics and certainly all of southern politics was played. It was really very simple: the Democratic candidate needed 90-plus percent of black votes to win. If a significant portion voted for a third party, the Republican would win.

Back
Top Bottom