***Official Political Discussion Thread***

It's been cool to see the reversal of consumerism play out. Our society and economy could get by with much lower productivity if we match that with less consumption. We actually only need a small fraction of people to work -- health care, food production, distribution, etc. Even then, we're actually still over-producing and throwing away food and oil.

If people walked more and used all the extra free time afforded by not having to work to exercise, we would see sizable reduction in the need for health care in times when we are free of pandemics. Coupled with working for home or not working at all, the reduction in travel not only further reduces the number of people who need to work, it also makes it easier to suppress future outbreaks.

This point has to be emphasized. Even if Trump had unilateral authority to end all stay at home orders, the DOW will not jump make you its highs from early this year and all the sickness that would result from a premature reopening will ensure that the pre crisis status quo would take years to return.

Those of who want to focus resources on decisively beating the virus THEN reviving the economy are prescribing a course of action that makes life easier for Trump politically. Impulsively removing stay at home orders hurts Trump politically. Yet, conservatives insist that keeping stay at home orders for as long as is needed is all a conspiracy to make Trump lose the election.
I didn't understand a word other than this is all a conspiracy to make Trump lose the election. Damn right, and we're not going to let it happen.

It's been cool to see the reversal of consumerism play out. Our society and economy could get by with much lower productivity if we match that with less consumption. We actually only need a small fraction of people to work -- health care, food production, distribution, etc. Even then, we're actually still over-producing and throwing away food and oil.

If people walked more and used all the extra free time afforded by not having to work to exercise, we would see sizable reduction in the need for health care in times when we are free of pandemics. Coupled with working for home or not working at all, the reduction in travel not only further reduces the number of people who need to work, it also makes it easier to suppress future outbreaks.

The crazy thing is I’ve seen more people out and about doing stuff outside and walking since this all started than where we were at in “normal” times. I’m fairly certain if we made this entire thing optional 99% of people would do the right thing and there wouldn’t be this perceived loss of rights. That could just be me having more faith in humanity than I should though

The crazy thing is I’ve seen more people out and about doing stuff outside and walking since this all started than where we were at in “normal” times. I’m fairly certain if we made this entire thing optional 99% of people would do the right thing and there wouldn’t be this perceived loss of rights. That could just be me having more faith in humanity than I should though
It really grinds my gears that people think this is a lock down. In most places, people are living as if this is an extended vacation, taking walks outside, going for jogs, picking up food, etc. We never really locked down.

And that's out in the open. I'm sure lots of people are still gathering and seeing family and friends in private.

It's funny that people think this current state is harsh. Americans have truly never known trouble. Spoiled and ignorant, all of them.

My wife and I have been in our neighborhood for five years and we walk our dogs every day. The past month I’d say we’ve met 90% of our neighbors while out that we have never seen before. :lol: I actually liked it before better, less human interaction. :lol:

Would any of you take a high level position for a federal government agency during the Trump Administration??? Even if it’s relatively isolated from Trump’s destructiveness?

You reckless ****ing piece of **** :smh:
These ****ers are between a rock and a hard place.

Either continue the sheltering orders, have people fall deeper and deeper into financial ruin, see the holdings of their donor base continue to evaporate, risk exposing the truth that the state should play a fundamental role in ensuring people's well-being, and expose the ****ed up nature of the bifurcated economic status quo where the masses teeter on the edge of existence while billionaires sit on mountains of money.

Or open things back up and risk killing untold thousands—many of them their own supporters particularly since older people are far more likely to die—extend the crisis for some untold period of time and risk longer-term damage to the economy, have some portion of their supporters potentially turn on them, and still expose the ****ed up nature of the economic status quo.

Truly tragic. My heart breaks for Dennis Rodman and Donald Trump. Kim is such a sweet and gentle man who has shown nothing but kindness to his people. I can't imagine the pain that Dennis and Donald are going through right now. This must be what it feels like to be sent to a prison camp as a child with your parents and to have to subsist off scraps for your whole life while routinely being beaten and psychologically tortured to the point that you snitch on your own mother and watch her murdered in front of you just so you can get an extra bowl of rice.

Must be awful.

This movie predicted the damn future

1587434823017.jpeg

except this dude is the president

1587434909623.jpeg

north korea is really, really careful how they put out news about their leader, govt so "grave danger" probably means he's really close to that edge or done for good imo

then again i see it's a us source so who the **** knows

Back
Top Bottom